• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

The Glory Land

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

Seems many Christians have become gun nuts. Maybe I should have expressed it differently, yet at the present that's the only thing that comes to my mind.

We never have had a bring your gun to church Sunday, nor have we had our services at the shooting range. Yet one local church did. I hear they had a very short devotional, them a prayer, them spent 2 to 3 hours shooting & comparing their guns with one another. Afterwards saying we will have to do this quite often. To be honest I think they would have been much better off to have spent all that time in the Word.

Amazing, isn't it, many churches can spend much time doing worldly things but complain about the length of church services.

If church services goes into overtime for them, they react bad, yet if they're at a ball game that goes into overtime they're happy. 

Worldly pleasures and things that appeal to the flesh draw a crowd, make folks feel good, keep their attention.

American Christianity has long leaned toward such things. Funny these sort of churches think they are some conservative alternative to the liberal churches when oftentimes they are as far away from keeping the Word and abiding in Christ as the liberals.

Many churches today are more like NRA social groups, Republican political action gatherings, and such things. This is no more right than the churches which promote governmental increases in welfare and those which are like Democrat gatherings.

The purpose of a local church is to be a place where local believers gather to be built up in the Lord and sent forth to spread the Gospel and make disciples.

I have an "open carry" permit - it is called the Constitution of the United States.  :bleh:

Actually, in the great state of Texas, we legally "open carry." 

But I have to agree with the sentiments of others here.  When the persecution comes, we are to take it.  Paul did.  Jesus did.  All of the Apostles did.  And while Paul did use the legal system to correct a legal injustice (he appealed to Caesar to escape a certain death in Jerusalem!), he did not take up arms to "defend himself." 

I have no idea on how things will end up.  Things are definitely accelerating out of control much faster than we can even keep up with it.  If the Lord continues to delay His return, then I believe we will end up in a scenario similar to the first 3 centuries of Christianity - an "on again off again" persecution, depending upon who Caesar is at the time.  We may end up going "underground" as are brethren are in China and the Middle East.  We may end up persecuted so severely that we will be scattered everywhere, and not even able to witness to our own spouses and children, as often happened in the Dark Ages. 

But in order for the end times prophecies to be fulfilled, AntiChrist will end up with a one-world Government AND a one-world religion.  In order for that to happen, the Bible-Believers must be gotten rid of!

In Christ,

It seems that to many Americans, their gun is their god.

The Anabaptists did not fight again st the king when persecuted, in fact they said the sword was to be borne by the magistrate to use as they thought fit.

Old Testament:  

Exodus 21:23-25  "And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."

Christ's Ministry:

Matthew 5:38-39  "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Church Age:

Romans 12:17-18  "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

Seems to me folks have been given different instructions for different times.  Paul's instructions are a cross between the two, we're not to act as sheep to the slaughter when we can help it.  

Old Testament:  

Exodus 21:23-25  "And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."

Christ's Ministry:

Matthew 5:38-39  "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Church Age:

Romans 12:17-18  "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men."

Seems to me folks have been given different instructions for different times.  Paul's instructions are a cross between the two, we're not to act as sheep to the slaughter when we can help it.  

Right, and that is why we can and should challenge unconstitutional laws and rulings in our court systems, as Paul did.  But Paul was beaten illegally in Philippi (Acts 16) and he did not say or do anything to stop it, even though he could have.  Later, when the Philippian rulers wanted him to leave quietly out the back door, he pulled the law out on them, and scared them.  Later, when the roman centurion was going to beat him in Jerusalem, he pulled the law out, and saved himself a beating, and then later appealed to Caesar.

As long as we operate under the rule of law, we should use that system to the best of our ability.

But when they line us up for execution, well.....I don't think tyrants and dictators care all that much for law and order, so no appeals will be heard, or offered.

PS - the OT "eye for an eye" was not a free ticket to take vengeance of a wrong personally.  It was done legally.  The matter was brought to the elders of the nearest city, and the instructions given here demanded this verdict.  Then the local government exacted the penalty.  That's how I read it anyway.

Edited by Steve Schwenke

I have an "open carry" permit - it is called the Constitution of the United States.  :bleh:

Actually, in the great state of Texas, we legally "open carry." 

But I have to agree with the sentiments of others here.  When the persecution comes, we are to take it.  Paul did.  Jesus did.  All of the Apostles did.  And while Paul did use the legal system to correct a legal injustice (he appealed to Caesar to escape a certain death in Jerusalem!), he did not take up arms to "defend himself." 

I have no idea on how things will end up.  Things are definitely accelerating out of control much faster than we can even keep up with it.  If the Lord continues to delay His return, then I believe we will end up in a scenario similar to the first 3 centuries of Christianity - an "on again off again" persecution, depending upon who Caesar is at the time.  We may end up going "underground" as are brethren are in China and the Middle East.  We may end up persecuted so severely that we will be scattered everywhere, and not even able to witness to our own spouses and children, as often happened in the Dark Ages. 

But in order for the end times prophecies to be fulfilled, AntiChrist will end up with a one-world Government AND a one-world religion.  In order for that to happen, the Bible-Believers must be gotten rid of!

In Christ,

It seemed to me Paul used that platform to preach Christ more so than to defend himself. It does not seem he had any politics on his mind as many seem to think.

It seems that to many Americans, their gun is their god.

The Anabaptists did not fight again st the king when persecuted, in fact they said the sword was to be borne by the magistrate to use as they thought fit.

I firmly believe many of our Baptist Churches in America have adopted the America way as God's way, & anyone that disagrees does not know God.

Sounds like Europe, with out guns.

John described it very good, in this country most people believes money along with material possessions bring happiness so prosperity is their # 1 priority. Even among many who profess Christ.

The Anabaptists were not always right...and just because a man might choose to use a gun (that God does NOT say is wrong) to protect those he loves does not mean he isn't trusting God, nor is he necessarily following the "American way" that so many Americans on this thread seem to despise.  Carrying a gun isn't always just about shooting the person who might persecute one for being a Christian, you know.  (and if it were true that the American way were to shoot first, question later - millions more would be dead. But they aren't) And just because a person might choose to carry a gun doesn't mean they are concerned with material things.  They just might want to protect those whom God has put under their care...

The pastor is the undershepherd of the church he pastors.  Shepherds do whatever they need to in order to protect their flock. There's a reason God uses the idea of a Shepherd/undershepherd.  David didn't have a gun, but he had a rock, and he used it to protect his flock.  He also used his bare hands. I'm thinking God is a bit more concerned with His children than He is sheep... 

The Anabaptists were not always right...and just because a man might choose to use a gun (that God does NOT say is wrong) to protect those he loves does not mean he isn't trusting God, nor is he necessarily following the "American way" that so many Americans on this thread seem to despise.  Carrying a gun isn't always just about shooting the person who might persecute one for being a Christian, you know.  (and if it were true that the American way were to shoot first, question later - millions more would be dead. But they aren't) And just because a person might choose to carry a gun doesn't mean they are concerned with material things.  They just might want to protect those whom God has put under their care...

The pastor is the undershepherd of the church he pastors.  Shepherds do whatever they need to in order to protect their flock. There's a reason God uses the idea of a Shepherd/undershepherd.  David didn't have a gun, but he had a rock, and he used it to protect his flock.  He also used his bare hands. I'm thinking God is a bit more concerned with His children than He is sheep... 

The Christian under-shepherd should not do whatever it take to protect their flock. that is they should not SIN in order to PROTECT their flock.

Mt 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mt 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mt 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mt 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mt 5:43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

Remember the mercy & grace the Shepherd has shown towards you, it really seems that He tells us to offer that very same mercy & grace even to our enemies that strike us. If we do like the worldly people we are no different than them, & we are suppose to be completely different.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Seems so many times we leave out the instructing given in the New Testament, using the Old testament as an excuse to do as we please.

Not all Christians should have a concealed weapons permit. Only responsible ones should.

If you agreed with the Constitution you would not hold this view.  The Federal and State governments have no authority under the Constitution to infringe on gun owners in this manner.  

An irresponsible person with a gun should be prosecuted severely.  You don't punish 300 million people based on what some nuts do or might do. 

In the beginning of the movie, Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) goes into a diner for a morning cup of coffee. When Callahan discovers a robbery in the diner, he kills the robbers in a shootout. However, a surviving robber grabs the fleeing waitress Loretta (Mara Corday), holds his gun to her head, and threatens to shoot. Instead of backing off, Harry points his .44 Magnum revolver into the boy's face and dares him to shoot, saying with clenched teeth and in his characteristic rough grumble, "Go ahead, make my day," meaning that if the robber attempts to harm Loretta in any way, Harry would be happy to dispatch the robber. 

Now please tell me why would shooting someone, even killing them, make your day? I would think that would be something that a child of God would want to avoid. And actually it would ruin their day if something like that happened.

Only in that Loretta or maybe one's own child was saved from the would be killer.  Having my daughter back in my arms from almost certain death would make my day!  Different context.

Harry enjoyed clearing the streets with his Model 29 Smith & Wesson.  He enjoyed protecting and serving the citizens of San Francisco by emptying chamber after chamber of .44 magnum rounds into bad guys.  

If you agreed with the Constitution you would not hold this view.  The Federal and State governments have no authority under the Constitution to infringe on gun owners in this manner.  

An irresponsible person with a gun should be prosecuted severely.  You don't punish 300 million people based on what some nuts do or might do. 

Only in that Loretta or maybe one's own child was saved from the would be killer.  Having my daughter back in my arms from almost certain death would make my day!  Different context.

Harry enjoyed clearing the streets with his Model 29 Smith & Wesson.  He enjoyed protecting and serving the citizens of San Francisco by emptying chamber after chamber of .44 magnum rounds into bad guys.  

Are you saying that it would make your day for the bad guy to make the wrong move  so you or someone else could kill him.

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

I guess many would like to rip that verse out of their Bibles... or just take a permanent marker and cross it out.

The Christian under-shepherd should not do whatever it take to protect their flock. that is they should not SIN in order to PROTECT their flock.

Mt 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mt 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mt 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mt 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mt 5:43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

Remember the mercy & grace the Shepherd has shown towards you, it really seems that He tells us to offer that very same mercy & grace even to our enemies that strike us. If we do like the worldly people we are no different than them, & we are suppose to be completely different.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Seems so many times we leave out the instructing given in the New Testament, using the Old testament as an excuse to do as we please.

Yeah, Jerry, because I really think the undershepherd should sin....sheesh.