• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

• Members

Um... what is "to tick the box"?

My venting has offended you because it seems contradictory to now?

If you put the context of one to the other, there is no contradiction. Since the question involved them joining the church, not attending it.

You need to reread the original 2014 thread.

Thanks anyway.

Sure it's contradictory. In your earlier statement you call homosexuals animals, call for people not to have compassion on them, and make a statement to the effect that you want them out of sight. Then in your latest statement you call for people not to focus on condemning sinners.

• Members

Sure it's contradictory. In your earlier statement you call homosexuals animals, call for people not to have compassion on them, and make a statement to the effect that you want them out of sight. Then in your latest statement you call for people not to focus on condemning sinners.

Good grief. Don't you have some body else to pick on today.

Obviously since one subject had to do with JOINING the church, and the other had to do with preaching salvation, that makes it quite different subjects.

Just what is your point?

You want to point out flaws in me? 

Go ahead. Throw the first stone.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

I don't see how some random guy sneaking into your house at night and raping your wife, or children, like what happened to a girl down the road from me, is a case of martyrdom. 

And even so, if someone busts into your church and starts blowing people away are you saying it's ungodly to fire back if you have a gun? How 'bout if you have a baseball bat and you bash his brains in instead? Is that wrong? Is that really any different than if you blast him with a gun? If he begins to rape your children do you tell them to take it for Jesus? Seems like a man would do all he could to stop that guy. And too bad if he didn't have things right with God. He had his chance before he decided to bust into your home or church and begin to kill and/or rape people.

Still seems like a martyr complex is going on here.

• Members

I don't see how some random guy sneaking into your house at night and raping your wife, or children, like what happened to a girl down the road from me, is a case of martyrdom. 

And even so, if someone busts into your church and starts blowing people away are you saying it's ungodly to fire back if you have a gun? How 'bout if you have a baseball bat and you bash his brains in instead? Is that wrong? Is that really any different than if you blast him with a gun? If he begins to rape your children do you tell them to take it for Jesus? Seems like a man would do all he could to stop that guy. And too bad if he didn't have things right with God. He had his chance before he decided to bust into your home or church and begin to kill and/or rape people.

Thats just simply because of the public being inbibed with the notion of 'rights'.

Our rights come from God.

If a proper thinking on defense were common in Christianity, there would be no discussion here about whether we should 'kill' a lost person.

And since you brought It up, just how often do you think something like your scenario really occurs?

And since it hardly ever will, why 'plan' for such?

Living life in fear of something that may never occur in your lifetime seems to be a waste of valuable time.

• Members

You live in a violent country which people who  have views like you have created,

Back in the days when we had the death penalty there were few gun crimes, because we had "Joint Responsibility" where if one member of a gang killed someone, they could all be guilty of Murder. This happened in (I think 1947) when a 17 year old, Craig, shot and killed a police officer, Craig was too young to hang, but his accomplice, Bennett who was already captured by the Police was hung.  We had unarmed police at the time.  Today we have Armed Repose Units, Diplomatic Protection Units, and no doubt others as well.  Most police officers now carry Tazers which have been fatal in a number of cases.  Oh for the old days.

• Members

Being a convicted felon, I am not allowed to have a gun in my house, or I go back to prison.

No doubt, if someone were to break into my house and I killed that person with a baseball bat, or some other instrument, I would go back to prison.  Oh well, trusting the Lord is far more advantageous than trusting in a weapon anyway.

• Members

Someone is hacking my onlinebaptist  name, using my user name Jerrynumbers, in this forum. Because I did not make the post about that has the user name Jerrynumbers in it.

I’ve been reading this tread, and signed in to post a thought. And when I did I saw that someone is using my username, I tried to click on my messages, seems I have a new one from someone, but it will not come up.

Seems we Christians are scared to death of death and many of us Christians are scared of death do not believe this verse, but know that no one can kill them and actually get rid of them, for if they get shot and their life leavers their body, if they’re saved, they will continue to live, at Home, in Heaven, which will be much better than this life, living with God and our Savior along with those relatives and friends who have gone Home before us, and their sorrows and tears will be wiped from their face..

Php 1:21 ¶ For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Re 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

• Administrators

And all the while let's ignore the verses that teach that men are responsible for their families. To be spiritual, according to what seems to be the idea of a few men on this thread, means to sit back and let someone who might be lost do whatever they want to anyone they want. So long as you witness to them, it's all okay, because we're going to heaven anyway.

The truth is, not everyone who gets attacked dies. At least not right away. Some live in agony, whether physical or mental, for many years after an attack. But, hey, the Lord protected them, right? Really? Then why did the bad thing happen to them? Simply put: we live in a sin-filled world. And because of that, bad things do happen. Being able to physically "equalize" a situation is in no way not trusting the Lord. Each one of us has to make a decision as to whether or not we will carry a gun, a stun gun, a baseball bat, or a sock filled with coins, etc. Or nothing at all.

That's the beauty of of God leading the individual - including pastors.  It's kinda silly to claim in one breath that having guns comes from the notions of our rights, and then say that our rights come from God. SMH.

The fact of the matter is, we do have the right - even under God - to defend ourselves. I guarantee you that if someone were to come and try to attack me, or my mother, or my nieces while they are under my care, etc., I'm not going to sit back and just pray. Why? Because God has provided a way for me to defend myself and my loved ones (if my hubby is not home...if he is, he'll take care of us, as the Bible instructs men to do). And I'll do that without apology and without sin.

It's a real  shame when folks try to make people who believe that it's okay or even correct to have defense of some sort out to be unspiritual. There is no biblical basis for it. You can use any verses you want to try to paint the person who has a gun as not trusting the Lord, but you don't know the heart of the person. 

If you don't want to attend a church where the pastor has a gun, don't. But don't try to come off as more spiritual because of it. The Pharisees thought they were more spiritual, too.

_______

By all means, apply scripture that you want for your personal reasons, but stop trying to make folks that disagree with your thoughts (in other words, folks that have guns or approve of having them) appear unspiritual.

• Members

. If you guys trust the Lord so thoroughly, there should be no need for doctors and hospitals anymore. And, if it isn't required in your state, might as well drop all your insurance policies too.  :)

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

. If you guys trust the Lord so thoroughly, there should be no need for doctors and hospitals anymore. And, if it isn't required in your state, might as well drop all your insurance policies too.  :)

Funny thing, I recall Jesus saying that the sick have need of a physician.  Can't find the verse where He said the oppressed need a gun though.

• Members

We see in the sermon on the mount, and other teachings, Jesus astounded the people of His day by His teaching which seemed so different than what they were used to under the OT. Jesus said we are to pray for our enemies, bless them, give them food and drink, not strike back at them, if they rob us to give them even more, if they force us to go with them, go even further, to not seek revenge, to consider them even above our own selves.

We read in the NT of Paul and other Christians having been afflicted by robbers, attackers of various sorts and carrying on by the grace of God, not through force of arms.

One of the hallmarks of Christians for about the first four centuries was their refusal to engage in defensive or offensive fighting or war. We read nothing of Christians using aggression or engaging in war until Constantine adopted Christianity and the Catholic Church rose to prominence and dominated "Christianity". Even from that point to the Reformation there are examples of actual Christians (non-RCC) who remained steadfast in the former teachings and refused to engage in physical battle of any kind. They recognized and followed the biblical recognition that our fight is with spiritual forces, not physical, and God preserved His remnant despite the continual attempts of the RCC and various governmental powers which attempted to exterminate them.