• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

• Members

That is one too many for that family.   

The problem with that argument is that in practically every other walk of life your approach to danger will be risk based, i.e. it's ok so long as the risk is sufficiently low, and from what Critical Mass has said, people shooting people by mistake is very rare. If I said to you, Invicta please stop using your car and turn of your electricity because in the past people have died from RTAs and electricution and even one is one too many, you wouldn't do it.

• Members

Last week my son in law came and rang our front door bell but we didn't hear him so he came round the back and tried the door where we were eating our meal.  He made us jump as he was dressed in dark clothes and wearing a pirate style scarf over his head.  I said if he had done that in America, he would likely have been shot.

I agree, in our area David, more than likely he would've been shot or shot at.

I think it all has to do with where in America you do it. Not everyone has the 'gumption' for defensive measures.

• Members

We are living in trouble times and the wacko's are loose. Once the gay movement moves into your home town, thing are going to change my friend, and if you are preaching against them, you will be at risk. Defend your self and the ones you love.  You have the right."

I do think this is a bit on the extreme side. Not all preachers preach against gays. There are just so many other more important things to preach.

Like truth. If that entails preaching against gays, so be it, but most times when a preacher is street preaching or pulpit preaching they are preaching the scriptures and not only focusing on gays. Or they shouldn't be anyway. They have so much to preach before they should be preaching on particular individual sins.

Condemning lost people should not be our focus, we should be preaching Jesus Christ, and him crucified, to the lost.

God will take care of the sin once he gets into their hearts.

All the disciples died living for the Lord, without defending themselves.

The scriptures are very clear - in 1 Peter 4 -

14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

• Members

I do think this is a bit on the extreme side. Not all preachers preach against gays. There are just so many other more important things to preach.

Like truth. If that entails preaching against gays, so be it, but most times when a preacher is street preaching or pulpit preaching they are preaching the scriptures and not only focusing on gays. Or they shouldn't be anyway. They have so much to preach before they should be preaching on particular individual sins.

Condemning lost people should not be our focus, we should be preaching Jesus Christ, and him crucified, to the lost.

14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Mt 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his (cross) gun, and follow me.

• Members

I have seen street preaching often get out of hand and not done properly, that is why I don't prefer that method. Probably talking one on one individually to someone is more effective, by preaching the whole counsel of God but at the same time having the right demeanor.

• Members

Yes, defending your family is important, but if it is a loss of witnessing to the lost? It may be more important to not defend. God will see you through it no matter the outcome.

Not one Apostle defended himself. Yet, it never mentions how their families safety were affected.

God's will is not always our will.

Besides, who knows the real outcome of a violent situation? God takes care of his own. Sometimes he may use us, or someone else, or he himself.

• Members

Yes, defending your family is important, but if it is a loss of witnessing to the lost? It may be more important to not defend. God will see you through it no matter the outcome.

Not one Apostle defended himself. Yet, it never mentions how their families safety were affected.

God's will is not always our will.

Besides, who knows the real outcome of a violent situation? God takes care of his own. Sometimes he may use us, or someone else, or he himself.

Reminds me of the story of the man fishing with his son and son's friend. The man and his son were saved, the friend not. After a serious event the two boys were drowning and the man could only save one of them. Knowing his son was saved but the other boy lost in his sins, the man chose to save the other boy knowing his own son would drown.

The saved son, of course, went to be with Jesus when he drowned. The unsaved boy who was rescued received further opportunity to be born again; opportunity that would have been forever gone had he been the one to drown that day only to 'awake' in hell.

(There was much more to the story, but that's the main point)

• Members

In our bible study on Wednesday we were on Phil 4.  when we came to the following

Php 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

I immediately thought of a Local boy, Andrew Hewet, who was brought before the authorities accused of being a "gospeler"  At the time the most learned scholar of the time, John Frith,  was sentenced to be burnt.  When asked if he believed there was a real presence in the mass, Andrew said "I believe as Frith."  "Why Frith is a heretic and sentenced to be burnt"  he was told.  "Therewith I am content" said Andrew.  Andrew and John were both burnt at Smithfield 4th July 2014

• Members

Homosexuality/Sodomy (and that IS what it is!) Is horrifyingly sinful, and a sin against one's own self!

People who have compassion on these animals are corrupt in their stand for right living, IF that's what they really are striving for.

Come on folks read Romans 1 and learn what God says to do with people like this. Stay FAR away from such!!

NOTHING good will come of it. They will infiltrate the church and weaken it, and eventually become a perverted church.

Tell'em to leave you alone, and shame them like real Christians used to, and bring back our moral society again!

Just because they come out of the closet, let's shove 'em back in and close the door!

Conversion should be preached and NO friendship made, as if they were murderers on the loose!

I am sick of this sin!

Venting with no regret!

And no hatred!

For context, the post from 2014 is in a thread about what to do if you know someone who's seeking and in a homosexual relationship and wants to attend your church. But it's pretty obvious that GP is giving advice for way beyond that particular situation: basically if you think someone's gay then preach conversion at them--to tick the box--and then tell them to take a hike.

• Members

For context, the post from 2014 is in a thread about what to do if you know someone who's seeking and in a homosexual relationship and wants to attend your church. But it's pretty obvious that GP is giving advice for way beyond that particular situation: basically if you think someone's gay then preach conversion at them--to tick the box--and then tell them to take a hike.

Um... what is "to tick the box"?

My venting has offended you because it seems contradictory to now?

If you put the context of one to the other, there is no contradiction. Since the question involved them joining the church, not attending it.

You need to reread the original 2014 thread.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

I can't speak for Alimantado, but from "tick the box", my understanding of what he meant is...

Homosexuals are sinners. Do your duty and give them the gospel (that will "tick the box" since we're required to witness to sinners), and then tell them to hit the road.

You know...kind of like marking something off of a list as you complete each item.

You know...kind of like someone praying "the sinner's prayer" because they felt they had to from the soul-winner pressuring them to make a decision. The sinner "ticked the box" on the sinner's prayer, but he didn't mean it or want any part of it.