• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

All Preachers Should Have A Conceal Weapon Permit

• Members
  • Members

Not all Christians should have a concealed weapons permit. Only responsible ones should.

If you agreed with the Constitution you would not hold this view.  The Federal and State governments have no authority under the Constitution to infringe on gun owners in this manner.  

An irresponsible person with a gun should be prosecuted severely.  You don't punish 300 million people based on what some nuts do or might do. 

In the beginning of the movie, Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) goes into a diner for a morning cup of coffee. When Callahan discovers a robbery in the diner, he kills the robbers in a shootout. However, a surviving robber grabs the fleeing waitress Loretta (Mara Corday), holds his gun to her head, and threatens to shoot. Instead of backing off, Harry points his .44 Magnum revolver into the boy's face and dares him to shoot, saying with clenched teeth and in his characteristic rough grumble, "Go ahead, make my day," meaning that if the robber attempts to harm Loretta in any way, Harry would be happy to dispatch the robber. 

Now please tell me why would shooting someone, even killing them, make your day? I would think that would be something that a child of God would want to avoid. And actually it would ruin their day if something like that happened.

Only in that Loretta or maybe one's own child was saved from the would be killer.  Having my daughter back in my arms from almost certain death would make my day!  Different context.

Harry enjoyed clearing the streets with his Model 29 Smith & Wesson.  He enjoyed protecting and serving the citizens of San Francisco by emptying chamber after chamber of .44 magnum rounds into bad guys.  

• Members

If you agreed with the Constitution you would not hold this view.  The Federal and State governments have no authority under the Constitution to infringe on gun owners in this manner.  

An irresponsible person with a gun should be prosecuted severely.  You don't punish 300 million people based on what some nuts do or might do. 

Only in that Loretta or maybe one's own child was saved from the would be killer.  Having my daughter back in my arms from almost certain death would make my day!  Different context.

Harry enjoyed clearing the streets with his Model 29 Smith & Wesson.  He enjoyed protecting and serving the citizens of San Francisco by emptying chamber after chamber of .44 magnum rounds into bad guys.  

Are you saying that it would make your day for the bad guy to make the wrong move  so you or someone else could kill him.

• Administrators

The Christian under-shepherd should not do whatever it take to protect their flock. that is they should not SIN in order to PROTECT their flock.

Mt 5:38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mt 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mt 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mt 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mt 5:43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust

Remember the mercy & grace the Shepherd has shown towards you, it really seems that He tells us to offer that very same mercy & grace even to our enemies that strike us. If we do like the worldly people we are no different than them, & we are suppose to be completely different.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Seems so many times we leave out the instructing given in the New Testament, using the Old testament as an excuse to do as we please.

Yeah, Jerry, because I really think the undershepherd should sin....sheesh.

• Members

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

I guess many would like to rip that verse out of their Bibles... or just take a permanent marker and cross it out.

Avenge and pertect yourselves, are two differant meanings. Your welcome.... :boxing:

• Members
  • Members

Actually, the U.S. Constitution only stipulates that the federal government has no authority to do anything with regards to guns. State's and localities are free, under the Constitution, to establish their own gun laws.

I agree that punishment for crimes should effect those guilty of crimes, not the general citizenship. It's a proven fact that more severe penalties for gun use deters gun crimes. One example involves "enhancement laws", wherein if one commits a crime using a gun, whatever the sentence for the particular crime is, on top of that is added a certain amount of additional years because a gun was involved.

When these laws were first passed, criminals began using toy and otherwise fake guns to commit crimes with, thus avoiding the risk of extra years in prison. However, once laws were written to address this, making the use of anything resembling a gun in the commission of a crime to also be enhanced, the criminals stopped using the toy and fake guns.

The same can also be seen over the history of the "drug war". Whenever the penalty for a particular drug goes up, many criminals switch to dealing drugs with lesser possible penalty.

Our laws, overall, fail to deter crime. Now Obama and Holder have proposed new federal laws, and are "encouraging" the states to go along too, that would lower drug crime sentences as well as actually releasing thousands from prison.

• Members

How in the world did you come up with all this from what I said? I sometimes think folks in this forum want to say something, anything, just to get their two cents in.

• Members

Are you saying that it would make your day for the bad guy to make the wrong move  so you or someone else could kill him.

No.  It would make my day to hold my daughter again if I had to forcibly get her back from some bad guy.  I hope he would at least live long enough to share the gospel with, to make repentance towards God and put his faith in Jesus Christ.  That too would make my day!  

• Members

No.  It would make my day to hold my daughter again if I had to forcibly get her back from some bad guy.  I hope he would at least live long enough to share the gospel with, to make repentance towards God and put his faith in Jesus Christ.  That too would make my day!  

Now that's hilarious.  Shoot him then share the Gospel with him. 

Do you seriously think a dying man would want to hear you speak of a God of love and mercy after you blow a hole in him out of anger?

• Administrators

I wonder if anyone knows what it's like having a loved one murdered that could have been saved had there been a gun - in any circumstance?  I do.

I wonder if anyone knows what it's like having loved ones sodomized by knife point - at 13 & 14 years old - that could have been saved had there been a gun?  I do.

We've gone round and round and round about this.  As an American, you (and that's generic) can not have a gun if you want to.  But also as an American (oh, what a shame that seems to be), you can have a gun if you want to. Whether in the pulpit or not. It's not up to individuals to tell other individuals who are serving God that they are not right with God, not trusting God, if they choose to carry, concealed or otherwise. We can take any verse in scripture and apply/misapply it to anything we want.  The fact remains that God does not forbid carrying a gun.  That's a stricture man puts upon man.  It's a shame, really.

• Members

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

I guess many would like to rip that verse out of their Bibles... or just take a permanent marker and cross it out.

Way to many of US Christians acts like that verse, & a few others are not in the Bible.