• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Wife Is Never Equal To The Husband

PreacherOfTruth

• Members

How can any one believe that it is the will of God, for a wife to ever be equal to her husband?

Genesis, Chapter 3
16: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 11
3: But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1 Peter, Chapter 3
1: Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2: While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
3: Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
4: But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5: For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who said men and women are equal, as in being the same? Men and were created differently by design, they were not meant to be equal in such respect. Men and women are equal at the foot of the cross in so far as salvation is concerned.

I hope this isn't the beginning of another of those "he man woman haters club" threads.

• Members

Who said men and women are equal, as in being the same? Men and were created differently by design, they were not meant to be equal in such respect. Men and women are equal at the foot of the cross in so far as salvation is concerned.

I hope this isn't the beginning of another of those "he man woman haters club" threads.

Do you rule over your wife? Yes or no?

• Members

No, I do not "rule over" my wife.  She loves the Lord and I comport myself in such a way, that we respect each other's God given roles.

As far as my wife being equal, it is my understanding from the Scriptures that I as a husband should honor her above myself and sacrifice myself to protect her.   This used to be practiced in our country (many years back, but I still remember it) in such ways as opening the door, standing when a woman entered the room and getting the chair for them.

• Members

If a man...and I repeat...IF a man loves his wife as he is supposed to (as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it), he will place her needs before his own...just as Christ placed our need first.

It doesn't matter what I want, it doesn't matter what I need, and it doesn't matter what I like...what matters is, am I loving my wife the way Christ loved the church? If I am, she is a peculiar treasure to be loved, adored, protected, and valued above anything that I want.  Her needs take priority in my life. 

Men can't seem to grasp this simple instruction from God's word. All this talk about submissive wives...wives who reverence their husbands...would be a non-issue if men would do what they're supposed to do; which is, to love our wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Husbands...love your wives.  Christ showed his love for us; we should do the same.  

Husbands...give yourself to your wife.  Put your own wants and desires aside, and give yourself to her.  Love her, cherish her, and make it your priority to make her proud to be...YOUR wife.

I know there are exceptions, but if husbands would do what they're supposed to do, the wife will gladly submit to someone who she KNOWS truly loves her, takes care of her, and puts her first in their life.  It won't be submission by coercion; no, it will be godly submission to a godly man.  If husbands would do what they're supposed to do, the wife will gladly reverence someone who she KNOWS truly loves her, takes care of her, and puts her first in their life.  It won't be reverence by coercion; no, it will be godly reverence to a godly man.

Husbands...love your wives, LOVE your wives, LOVE YOUR WIVES!

Yes or no?

• Members

If a man...and I repeat...IF a man loves his wife as he is supposed to (as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it), he will place her needs before his own...just as Christ placed our need first.

It doesn't matter what I want, it doesn't matter what I need, and it doesn't matter what I like...what matters is, am I loving my wife the way Christ loved the church? If I am, she is a peculiar treasure to be loved, adored, protected, and valued above anything that I want.  Her needs take priority in my life. 

Men can't seem to grasp this simple instruction from God's word. All this talk about submissive wives...wives who reverence their husbands...would be a non-issue if men would do what they're supposed to do; which is, to love our wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Husbands...love your wives.  Christ showed his love for us; we should do the same.  

Husbands...give yourself to your wife.  Put your own wants and desires aside, and give yourself to her.  Love her, cherish her, and make it your priority to make her proud to be...YOUR wife.

I know there are exceptions, but if husbands would do what they're supposed to do, the wife will gladly submit to someone who she KNOWS truly loves her, takes care of her, and puts her first in their life.  It won't be submission by coercion; no, it will be godly submission to a godly man.  If husbands would do what they're supposed to do, the wife will gladly reverence someone who she KNOWS truly loves her, takes care of her, and puts her first in their life.  It won't be reverence by coercion; no, it will be godly reverence to a godly man.

Husbands...love your wives, LOVE your wives, LOVE YOUR WIVES!

Yes or no?

Indeed, a husband is to rule his wife as Christ rules His church. Jesus said clearly that He came to be a servant, not to be served. As you so rightly point out, husbands are commanded to love their wives. That's the first and primary manner of their headship in marriage.

Too many men have added their own views and traditions to this area while nearly or totally failing to abide by the Word on the matter.

• Members

Indeed, a husband is to rule his wife as Christ rules His church. Jesus said clearly that He came to be a servant, not to be served. As you so rightly point out, husbands are commanded to love their wives. That's the first and primary manner of their headship in marriage.

Too many men have added their own views and traditions to this area while nearly or totally failing to abide by the Word on the matter.

Are you a servant to your wife? Yes or no? 

• Members

It's an equal partnership between me and my wife. We wouldn't have it any other way.  :-)  And as for my daughters, I sure hope that they do not marry a man who treats them in an unequal manner.  

You seem to leave out the verse in Ephesians that says "Submit to one another as unto the Lord."  We are to treat one another with respect and put each other's needs ahead of our own.  So in my partnership, I submit to my wife, and she to me.  We put one another's interests ahead of our own, and we both feel loved and respected.  When we argue, it is usually because we are looking out for our own interest instead of the other spouse.  

• Members

Welcome to the forum PreacherOfTruth.  Would you kindly share with us your background and testimony?

John, Chapter 7, 18:He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

I am from God and I am giving you my testimony. It is the truth.

• Members

John, Chapter 7, 18:He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

I am from God and I am giving you my testimony. It is the truth.

We all know who you are and why you are here.

Your clear intent, coupled with your kindergarten postings, serve as a clear testimony.

• Members

It's an equal partnership between me and my wife. We wouldn't have it any other way.  :-)  And as for my daughters, I sure hope that they do not marry a man who treats them in an unequal manner.  

You seem to leave out the verse in Ephesians that says "Submit to one another as unto the Lord."  We are to treat one another with respect and put each other's needs ahead of our own.  So in my partnership, I submit to my wife, and she to me.  We put one another's interests ahead of our own, and we both feel loved and respected.  When we argue, it is usually because we are looking out for our own interest instead of the other spouse.  

​How come you do not obey God and rule over your wife?

Archived