• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Godly Way Women Are To Dress And Look

PreacherOfTruth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Society today has definitely taken steps backward in regards to modesty.  Between television programs, movie theaters, magazines, public beaches and amusement parks to name a few, it has become so common for people to dress immodestly that many have become desensitized to the appearance of others.  We that believe it is important to dress modestly seem to be few and far between.  Even so, we have a LORD who convicts us and guides us in our daily living.  It is my hope to be an example to those around me and if even one person notices a difference then glory be to GOD!

• Members

Unfortunately, the last couple of days I've seen several older men outside wearing nothing but way too short shorts and shoes. Their old, wrinkly, way over tanned bodies on nearly full display.

Are you vacationing in Florida right now John?  My kids hide their eyes just driving through our neighborhood with the old flabby guys with no shirts on, short shorts, beer belly rubbing against their ride on mower and holding a beer in one hand.  Then when you go to the Seven-Eleven to buy them a slurpee, all the biblically naked women coming and going from the beaches, smoking, holding cases of beer, wearing basically nothing, it's extremely uncomfortable.  

What does "modest apparel" look like? Can anyone say with all certainty that loose fitting slacks is not considered to be modest apparel?

We should put you in charge.   :bleh:

• Members

The text verse you had referred to does not say "modest apparel" (Deut. 22:5) it says "that which pertaineth unto a man"...and, in spite of your ignoring the correct translation, from some so-called scholar, you miss the entire point.  Heartstrings got it right..this was the "birth" of the homosexual movement and the breaking down of the genders which expanded into the ecumenical movement in society and the church.  We need not refer to the Hebrew when it is already translated for us, else why bother staying on a board that is KJB and KJBO?

It is pretty clear what the verse says if taken literally, and we quit questioning it and re-translating it.

BTW, there is a paragraph sign before and after this verse, and like many in Deut. it stands on its own merit.  The text teaches several different things here.

I figure that most men are afraid to stand up to their wife in this area, or even talk about it with her.

• Administrators

But who determines what modesty is?

In my view, my wife is modestly dressed when she is in her loose fitting slacks. According to the legalist, my wife is not modestly addressed at all.

I

Who determines?  The man of the household, based on scriptural principles, precepts, and commands.  In your house, you are okay with your wife wearing loose fitting slacks.  

But there are homes where the man wants his wife and daughters in dresses/skirts.  That does not make him a legalist.  Here is a good description of legalism:

Legalism, in Christianity, is a term referring to an improper fixation on law or codes of conduct for a person to merit or obtain salvation, blessing from God, or fellowship with God, with an attendant misunderstanding of the grace of God.

Simply put, legalism is belief that obedience to the law or a set of rules is the pre-eminent principle of redemption and/or favor with God. Its opposite extreme isantinomianism which claims that moral laws are not binding on Christian believers.

There are a number of passages we can cite as to how we should behave - and that would include dress (meaning apparel).

Romans 12:2 tells us not to be conformed to the world, while 1 John 2:15,16 tells us not to love the world.  Colossians2:8 tells us to beware that we aren't spoiled through philosophy or vain deceit - after the rudiments of the world (and traditions of men).  If we allow ourselves to listen to what the world accepts as acceptable clothing on women (and men, too, but the Bible never instructs a man to be modest...and that is most likely because women are not normally turned on by sight...[in this day and age they are more so, because - I believe - of the complete disregard for modesty, proper gender roles, etc]), then we will be influenced by the philosophy and vain deceit to become more like the world in our thoughts, our manner, and our apparel.  Sometimes it seems Christians are okay with anything as long as it's not too far "out there"....forgetting that much of what is acceptable today was "out there" just 50 years ago...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I, personally (and this is in no way legalism, because my salvation and my fellowship with the Lord are not tied into this, so no accusations of such, please) wear dresses and skirts.  I can't see the appeal of wearing pants. *shrugs* Just my thoughts. There is no desire on my part to put on a pair of pants - which is a good thing, because my hubby wouldn't let me.  :nuts:

But in no way would I besmirch a woman who is wearing pants (and I don't say slacks, because if slacks are okay, so are jeans...) nor would I besmirch her husband for okaying it.  

• Members

Are you sure that wasn't "Dick and Jane" and their dog "Spot"? I think they had a little sister named "Sally". Then again, maybe you had different books than I did.

Unless something has happened to them, I still have some of those books I used in school back in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_and_Mark

But I must confess; I forget their hound dog's name.

• Members

Soon after I began attending my church I easily was convinced of women should be wearing dresses/skirts. I now no longer own any pants/slacks/jeans or shorts (except one pair to put under a skirt I pull up when I'm painting little things inside house). After I converted to dresses I even more so easily recognize clothing that people probably consider modest is tight, low cut and too short. Women's hair too short. And when I'm shopping I can't stand the worldly music played loudly in most stores! I prefer silence at home no radio, TV only when I'm watching it and I mute all commercials (which drives everyone crazy). No radio in car, occasionally long trips a CD of hymns or pastor preaching.

Archived