• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Couple Of Verses I Noticed Recently

DaveW

• Members

Col 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Thoughts?

• Members

Col 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Some grammatical thoughts concerning Colossians 4:6:

1.  The Command -- "Let your speech be . . . ."

This verse presents a direct instruction from the Lord our God in His Holy Word through the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit concerning our interpersonal communication.  Any failure on our part in relation to this Biblical instruction is a sin against the Lord, and we should be zealous to repent each and every time of that sin.

2.  The Constancy -- "Let your speech be alway . . . ."

The Biblical instruction of this verse encompasses our interpersonal communications at all times, in any circumstance, through any communicational medium, and toward any individual.

3.  The Character -- "Let your speech be . . . with grace, seasoned with salt . . . ."

The Biblical instruction of this verse requires that all of our interpersonal communications be motivated by, filled with, and expressed in the grace of the Lord our God.  Indeed, this is the central principle of the instruction.  Yet this does raise the following questions:  What exactly does it mean for our speech to be characterized as "with grace"?  What exactly does it mean for our speech to be characterized as "seasoned with salt"?  How exactly is it possible for our speech to be characterized as "with grace, seasoned with salt"?

4.  The Consequence -- ". . . That ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

When our interpersonal communication is motivated by, filled with, and expressed in the grace of the Lord our God, it will grant us the spiritual discernment to know how to give the perfectly appropriate answer to any given individual in any given situation (which in some cases may actually be to say nothing at all).  Now, this statement of consequence implies that there is indeed in each given circumstance a specifically righteous way (from the perspective of the Lord our God) by which we "ought to answer."  Yet this statement of consequence also indicates that the manner by which we may discern this specifically righteous "answer" in each given circumstance is not primarily founded upon a right mental process of the intellect, but upon a right motivational characteristic of the heart.

• Members

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Thoughts?

13:1 describes me and 4:6 is what I strive for but have thus far failed to live up to even in prayer.

Ohh how we could reach those lost and dying family members if we just knew exactly how to present the Gospel to each one!

• Members

This is an area the Lord confronted me with years ago. That prompted a study of all the verses pertaining to speech, my color coding those verses in my Bible, and then spending a great deal of time reading them, memorizing some of them, and much, much prayer. My speech was greatly improved because of that, but like most things, this is an area that needs constant attention.

Even after all these years, I still need to specifically go over some of those verses from time to time, to help steady me the right path.

From what I've noticed over the years, in my own life and in several other men I know, that it really takes a serious determination to deal with this before one can have any real victory in this area. We have to read and study the many verses regarding our speech, and this needs to be done many times, and then again and again the rest of our life. Memorizing some of the verses and going over them often so they are fresh in our hearts and minds is essential. All of this has to be covered in prayer and we have to learn to be quick to notice our sinful speech, confess it to the Lord in prayer with a repentant heart, and rely upon the Holy Ghost through it all.

This next point is specific in my own walk with the Lord, and may be different for others, but for myself I have to be extra careful in this area when I'm very tired and/or very sick.

If we really, truly want to get our speech in the line with the Word, then we have to abide in the Word to do so. This requires effort.

Archived