Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Tithe With Out A Cheerful Heart?

Rate this topic

The Glory Land

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Not meant harshly --- but you're right, it's none of your (or any of ours) business.

True, and if one were to post such it would only serve as grounds for some to say they must not be telling the truth, or charge them with giving too little, or having posts telling them just how much they should be giving, and on and on.

Our giving is to be between us and the Lord. We really shouldn't even try to speculate how much anyone, rich or poor, is giving, simply tend to our own giving, making sure we are giving as the Lord leads.

I have not been on here but for a few minutes in the last several months and the discussion has not changed.  Several people have made tremendous posts but I would like to congratulate Salyan for the honesty and clarify of your post.  Pastor Scott Markle also had some insightful thoughts.  When people who are normally clear thinking individuals becomes enraged and willing to openly castigate men of God, and fellow members on this board there is reason. 

I have to wonder how many people leave this website for discussions like this.  

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

• Members

I wonder how many leave the Church because of the Church telling them they are to tithe their money when the Word of God never tells them that?

Galatians 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

When a man of God is in the wrong, those who know the truth should stand up to them and tell them they are wrong.  If you were in my home or on my doorstep, or even in my Church and you were telling me or anyone else that a tithe of money belongs to God, I would withstand you to the face, because you are to be blamed.

• Members

I have to wonder how many people leave this website for discussions like this.  

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. 

I know of one person on onlinebaptist who thanked me for my posts encouraging said person to study out the tithe.  Said person now admits the truth and is thankful to be set free from the man-made law of the monetary tithe.

My prayer now for that person is that that person go to the Church that person has been a member of and that person shares the truth written in Scripture with other Church members so they to can be freed from the bondage of the man-made monetary tithe they are enslaved to.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

Yes I am well aware of your truth.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 

I'm glad your back, but this really isn't helpful.

That said, how have you been?

• Members

Yes I am well aware of your truth.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 

You do err, not knowing the Scriptures. 
(then again, maybe you do know the Scriptures but just don't care)

It is obvious that it is you who will not endure sound doctrine.

• Advanced Member

Not meant harshly --- but you're right, it's none of your (or any of ours) business.

There was a reason for this, if he does not support any ministry, we know where he is coming from. If he is giving more then the tithe, then he is right and we are wrong. But I guess we will never know now.

• Members

Scripture does not tell us to give more than the tithe, nor does it tell us to give less than the tithe. 

Nor does it tell us to tithe.

Is that so hard to accept?

Our giving should be based on our love for the Lord.  There is no percentage requirement in the Bible concerning giving... other than that we should give 100%.  100% of what we purpose in our hearts to give, we should give.

Speaking for myself, I've never had the Lord direct me to give any percentage. The Lord has always directed me to give a specific amount, not a percentage. This has proven true with regards to giving to our home church, missionaries, those in need, etc.

• Advanced Member

Scripture does not tell us to give more than the tithe, nor does it tell us to give less than the tithe.

Nor does it tell us to tithe.

Is that so hard to accept?

Our giving should be based on our love for the Lord. There is no percentage requirement in the Bible concerning giving... other than that we should give 100%. 100% of what we purpose in our hearts to give, we should give.

So if your heart is said this week, you just may not give at all?

• Members

When we get the mindset that God requires 10%, we sooner or later get a heart of pride, saying, "I've done my part," just as the Pharisee in the Parable Jesus told in Luke 18 did.  He thought he did his part, and more.  Yet his pride was his downfall.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

• Members

The only time I give nothing is when I have absolutely nothing to give.

I have never refused to give because my heart was sad.  I have, however, refused to give when the pastor preached that we are robbing God if we don't tithe.

I'd better explain this post.  I no longer go to a Church that teaches the monetary tithe.

So if your heart is said this week, you just may not give at all?

Our giving shouldn't be based on whether or not we are happy or sad. When we are told to give cheerfully, that means when the Lord tells us to give a certain amount, whether a little, a lot or something else, we do so cheerfully because we love the Lord. It's our attitude in giving, not our emotional state that's the factor.

• Advanced Member

When we get the mindset that God requires 10%, we sooner or later get a heart of pride, saying, "I've done my part," just as the Pharisee in the Parable Jesus told in Luke 18 did. He thought he did his part, and more. Yet his pride was his downfall.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

But these Pharisee were not saved or born again.

• Advanced Member

The only time I give nothing is when I have absolutely nothing to give.

I have never refused to give because my heart was sad. I have, however, refused to give when the pastor preached that we are robbing God if we don't tithe.

I'd better explain this post. I no longer go to a Church that teaches the monetary tithe.

This is what I was looking for, you were attending a church that robbed God and it members.