• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe With Out A Cheerful Heart?

The Glory Land

• Members

Scripture does not tell us to give more than the tithe, nor does it tell us to give less than the tithe. 

Nor does it tell us to tithe.

Is that so hard to accept?

Our giving should be based on our love for the Lord.  There is no percentage requirement in the Bible concerning giving... other than that we should give 100%.  100% of what we purpose in our hearts to give, we should give.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Speaking for myself, I've never had the Lord direct me to give any percentage. The Lord has always directed me to give a specific amount, not a percentage. This has proven true with regards to giving to our home church, missionaries, those in need, etc.

• Members

Scripture does not tell us to give more than the tithe, nor does it tell us to give less than the tithe.

Nor does it tell us to tithe.

Is that so hard to accept?

Our giving should be based on our love for the Lord. There is no percentage requirement in the Bible concerning giving... other than that we should give 100%. 100% of what we purpose in our hearts to give, we should give.

So if your heart is said this week, you just may not give at all?

• Members

When we get the mindset that God requires 10%, we sooner or later get a heart of pride, saying, "I've done my part," just as the Pharisee in the Parable Jesus told in Luke 18 did.  He thought he did his part, and more.  Yet his pride was his downfall.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

• Members

The only time I give nothing is when I have absolutely nothing to give.

I have never refused to give because my heart was sad.  I have, however, refused to give when the pastor preached that we are robbing God if we don't tithe.

I'd better explain this post.  I no longer go to a Church that teaches the monetary tithe.

• Members

So if your heart is said this week, you just may not give at all?

Our giving shouldn't be based on whether or not we are happy or sad. When we are told to give cheerfully, that means when the Lord tells us to give a certain amount, whether a little, a lot or something else, we do so cheerfully because we love the Lord. It's our attitude in giving, not our emotional state that's the factor.

• Members

When we get the mindset that God requires 10%, we sooner or later get a heart of pride, saying, "I've done my part," just as the Pharisee in the Parable Jesus told in Luke 18 did. He thought he did his part, and more. Yet his pride was his downfall.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

But these Pharisee were not saved or born again.

• Members

The only time I give nothing is when I have absolutely nothing to give.

I have never refused to give because my heart was sad. I have, however, refused to give when the pastor preached that we are robbing God if we don't tithe.

I'd better explain this post. I no longer go to a Church that teaches the monetary tithe.

This is what I was looking for, you were attending a church that robbed God and it members.

• Members

Yes, I was. But no longer go to that particular Church.

You have every right to be angry, but you did your part and God knows your heart. Fear not in well doing my friend, for our salvation is not in what we give but in who we believe. God does not need our money. If he can use us for small things, then he will give us bigger things too do.

• Members

You have every right to be angry, but you did your part and God knows your heart. Fear not in well doing my friend, for our salvation is not in what we give but in who we believe. God does not need our money. If he can use us for small things, then he will give us bigger things too do

You are only hearing the part of the story SFIC wants you to hear.  He was teaching the people at the church that they did not need to give at all, that the Pastor was lying to them and caused a huge division in the church.  The fact is on a previous discussion STIF admitted that he never gives as much as 10% because he does not think he needs to.  The issue and his reason for lashing out at everyone is his love of money.  They were asked to leave the church not because of his opinion of tithing but because they were causing strife and division.  That is the truth and is a correct reason to ask them to leave.  Do the research for yourself, I did.  Then you understand why he is so passionate about proving this point.

• Members

Is it not clear the back and forth in this manner is unedifying and even counterproductive?

Most of this has been bandied back and forth countless times, here and in several other threads. Better for all involved to stop replying and move on.

• Members

Is it not clear the back and forth in this manner is unedifying and even counterproductive?

Most of this has been bandied back and forth countless times, here and in several other threads. Better for all involved to stop replying and move on.

Lets move onto a new topic, I agree.

For the Love of Money is the root of all evilness.

Archived