• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe With Out A Cheerful Heart?

The Glory Land

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stephen was speaking to infidels.  You're among the faithful here.   :th_wellduh:

Faithful to whom?

Since the monetary tithe is nowhere found in Scripture, yet tithe teachers and preachers insist one is required to tithe their money, taking out of context Scriptures that have to do with the agricultural tithe or to a specific peoples, to whom are the faithful being faithful to?

If the monetary tithe is not taught by the Bible, but rather by man, it appears to be that one is being faithful to the man who teaches the monetary tithe when he tithes his money... not being faithful to God.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

• Members

1.  In post #13, iamchief posted the following verses:

Acts 6:2   Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. 
    Acts 6:3   Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. 
    Acts 6:4   But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Nothing in that passage, nor in that chapter, nor in the entire book of the Acts of the Apostles is said of tithes whatsoever.

* while iamchief did mention “double honour”, he did not give the Church reference.  But even that does not say double honour means tithes.  One has to add tithes there, for it is not there.
  2. In post #19, NoNicolatians posted 2 Corinthians 9:7, which tells how we are to base our giving… as we choose in our own hearts to give.

3. In post #25, LindaR posted 2 Corinthians 8:12, which does not say anything of tithes, but giving according to what one has and not according to what one does not have. 

*this verse shoots down the false doctrine of Faith Promise.

4. In post #36, Irishman posted Leviticus 27:30, stating that the tithe is the Lord’s.  Funny, he conveniently left out verse 34 that states that the tithe was for the children of Israel.  He stated that the tithe was not money at that time because money was scarce for the average person.  Yet, Deuteronomy 14:22-29 easily proves he is wrong.  Scripture would not say the tithe could be sold for money if money was scarce for the average person.  The facts are, money was readily available for any tither should he need it.  Even the tither, the farmer had money, for he was given the option of buying the tithe back from the Levite according to Leviticus 27:31.  That fact alone proves than money was not scarce for the average person.

5. In post #36, Irishman also quoted Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42.  Both of these verses have our Lord saying that tithing was to be done.  But He was not telling the Church to tithe.  He was telling the scribes and Pharisees… “Woe unto you scribes and Pharisees… these ought YE to have done.”  And why did He tell them to tithe?  Because it was an eternal moral principle?  NO!  He told them to tithe because that is what the Law they were commanded to obey required them to do.

6. In post #36, Irishman posted 2 Corinthians 9:6-10 as well.  Not one of those verses have anything to do with tithing. 

7. In post #51, OLD fashioned preacher posted 1 Timothy 5:4,16.  Neither of these verses prove a monetary tithe.  1 Timothy 5:8 & 2 Thessalonians 3:10 were also referenced.  Neither of these say anything about tithing.

8. In post #55, Calvary came in with references to Acts 11, 2 Corinthians 9:1 and 1 Corinthians 16.  Neither of these passages say anything about a tithe.

9. In post #59, Calvary quoted 1 Corinthians 16, which was a collection for the saints in Jerusalem.  Had absolutely nothing to do with a monetary tithe.
  10.   In post #61, Salyan posted Colossians 4:6, Matthew 7:1-5, Colossians 3:12, & Ephesians 4:32.  Nothing whatsoever about tithing in those verses.

In post #71, NoNicolatians posted reference to several verses, pointing out that tithing was Old Testament Law and not for us.

Sorry Irishman, but the only verse you used that had anything to do with the tithe was Leviticus 27:30.  And verse 34 clearly tells us that that tithe was for the children of Israel. 

Calvary wasn´t defending any tithe Standing, why you put my posts in a context that suggests otherwise is deceitful. You are using my posts to bolster your straw man argument. My post by its context clearly showed only a special offering being made to the saints in Jerusalem. Nothing more.

You are dishonest to include my posts and then state they show nothing of a tithe., I never was speaking to the tithe, for or against.

• Moderators

1.  In post #13, iamchief posted the following verses:

Acts 6:2   Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. 
    Acts 6:3   Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. 
    Acts 6:4   But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Nothing in that passage, nor in that chapter, nor in the entire book of the Acts of the Apostles is said of tithes whatsoever.

* while iamchief did mention “double honour”, he did not give the Church reference.  But even that does not say double honour means tithes.  One has to add tithes there, for it is not there.
  2. In post #19, NoNicolatians posted 2 Corinthians 9:7, which tells how we are to base our giving… as we choose in our own hearts to give.

3. In post #25, LindaR posted 2 Corinthians 8:12, which does not say anything of tithes, but giving according to what one has and not according to what one does not have. 

*this verse shoots down the false doctrine of Faith Promise.

4. In post #36, Irishman posted Leviticus 27:30, stating that the tithe is the Lord’s.  Funny, he conveniently left out verse 34 that states that the tithe was for the children of Israel.  He stated that the tithe was not money at that time because money was scarce for the average person.  Yet, Deuteronomy 14:22-29 easily proves he is wrong.  Scripture would not say the tithe could be sold for money if money was scarce for the average person.  The facts are, money was readily available for any tither should he need it.  Even the tither, the farmer had money, for he was given the option of buying the tithe back from the Levite according to Leviticus 27:31.  That fact alone proves than money was not scarce for the average person.

5. In post #36, Irishman also quoted Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42.  Both of these verses have our Lord saying that tithing was to be done.  But He was not telling the Church to tithe.  He was telling the scribes and Pharisees… “Woe unto you scribes and Pharisees… these ought YE to have done.”  And why did He tell them to tithe?  Because it was an eternal moral principle?  NO!  He told them to tithe because that is what the Law they were commanded to obey required them to do.

6. In post #36, Irishman posted 2 Corinthians 9:6-10 as well.  Not one of those verses have anything to do with tithing. 

7. In post #51, OLD fashioned preacher posted 1 Timothy 5:4,16.  Neither of these verses prove a monetary tithe.  1 Timothy 5:8 & 2 Thessalonians 3:10 were also referenced.  Neither of these say anything about tithing.

8. In post #55, Calvary came in with references to Acts 11, 2 Corinthians 9:1 and 1 Corinthians 16.  Neither of these passages say anything about a tithe.

9. In post #59, Calvary quoted 1 Corinthians 16, which was a collection for the saints in Jerusalem.  Had absolutely nothing to do with a monetary tithe.
  10.   In post #61, Salyan posted Colossians 4:6, Matthew 7:1-5, Colossians 3:12, & Ephesians 4:32.  Nothing whatsoever about tithing in those verses.

In post #71, NoNicolatians posted reference to several verses, pointing out that tithing was Old Testament Law and not for us.

Sorry Irishman, but the only verse you used that had anything to do with the tithe was Leviticus 27:30.  And verse 34 clearly tells us that that tithe was for the children of Israel. 

Calvary wasn´t defending any tithe Standing, why you put my posts in a context that suggests otherwise is deceitful. You are using my posts to bolster your straw man argument. My post by its context clearly showed only a special offering being made to the saints in Jerusalem. Nothing more.

You are dishonest to include my posts and then state they show nothing of a tithe., I never was speaking to the tithe, for or against.

Yeah, ditto.

• Members

Faithful to whom?

Since the monetary tithe is nowhere found in Scripture, yet tithe teachers and preachers insist one is required to tithe their money, taking out of context Scriptures that have to do with the agricultural tithe or to a specific peoples, to whom are the faithful being faithful to?

I guess we can you names then because of your lack of fidelity to Christ.  You fail to hold membership in one of his New Testament Churches.  He loved the church so much that he died for it and yet you do not attend (insert name calling here).  Don't bother trying to justify your position by twisting the bible into a pretzel, I won't be around to read it.

This conversation with you went right into the gutter, for that I'm sorry and am bowing out of it, it's no longer edifying.

• Members

You fail to hold membership in one of his New Testament Churches.

Please tell me, just how many New Testament Churches does God have?  I thought the scriptures teach there is ONE Church, and all born-again believers are a member.

What you are doing is holding membership in a corporation doing business as a church.  Similar to holding membership in a club. 

• Members

Re-read my post.  I did not say you said those verses had anything to do with tithing. 

You, like OFP, jumped the gun. 

I forgive you.

• Moderators

Please tell me, just how many New Testament Churches does God have?  I thought the scriptures teach there is ONE Church, and all born-again believers are a member.

What you are doing is holding membership in a corporation doing business as a church.  Similar to holding membership in a club. 

You just assumed the church he attends is incorporated -- I don't know where he goes so I don't know either. But, in case you aren't aware of this, not all local assemblies are incorporated.

• Members

I guess we can you names then because of your lack of fidelity to Christ.  You fail to hold membership in one of his New Testament Churches.  He loved the church so much that he died for it and yet you do not attend (insert name calling here).  Don't bother trying to justify your position by twisting the bible into a pretzel, I won't be around to read it.

This conversation with you went right into the gutter, for that I'm sorry and am bowing out of it, it's no longer edifying.

Who says I am not a member of Christ's New Testament Church?

I certainly never said that.

• Members

Brother Gary,
They are so wanting to be right that they are willing to falsely accuse those who preach and teach what the Bible says. 

Funny, those who stoned Stephen did the same thing. 

Oh well... nothing new under the sun.

• Moderators

Re-read my post.  I did not say you said those verses had anything to do with tithing. 

You, like OFP, jumped the gun. 

I forgive you.

The only one you are fooling by responses like this is yourself. 

• Members

I have been following this topic and must say there is much controversy and stone throwing.  What I don't understand, 'Standing Firm In Christ', is why you are taking much of this personally.  The members here are clearly revealing through scripture what their belief's - opinions are, while you strike back at them if it happens to not agree with you.  In the end it is all between the individual and GOD.  We will all stand before HIM and give account.  Why is this a big deal to you?  I don't believe the majority of the members here, are here to do needless battle.  Let's enjoy the fellowship with one another.....there's a time and a place to stand firmly and somehow I don't think this is it?? Last time I checked, GOD was still in control.

• Members

You just assumed the church he attends is incorporated -- I don't know where he goes so I don't know either. But, in case you aren't aware of this, not all local assemblies are incorporated.

Whether it's incorporated or not, the point is the same.  As soon as a "local church" requires or offers membership, it puts it out of the category of being like a club.  This whole "church membership" thing is man made.  Just like the tithing doctrine taught in so many churches today.  Just a man-made doctrine as can easily be found when researching the history of tithing money in the Christian Church.

Archived