• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe With Out A Cheerful Heart?

The Glory Land

• Members

I know pastors who will "rob" widows and the elderly by going to their houses and picking up their "tithes"... even when that elderly person or widow is not attending that pastor's so-called "Church."

My mother had a pastor that did that very thing.  Even though mother was no longer able to go to Church, the pastor showed up at her doorstep every month for his "tithe" check.

She moved to another state a couple years back and another pastor, though he does not go to her house, will call her every month to make sure she mails him her tithe.

Such pastors are a disgrace to the ministry.

Matthew 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Pastors have no fear of God anymore.  Though God teaches in His Holy Word that the tithe has been abolished, they continue to teach their congregations that God requires the tithe.  I am so thankful that less and less people are falling for these wolves in sheep clothing.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Many years ago, I was a member in a church who gave $100 to those in need.  It didn't matter if they needed $100 exactly or if they had just undergone major surgery, their house burned down, they lost their job...or whatever...they gave the person $100.  It also didn't matter if it was a church member or someone outside of the church who was asking for help.

I failed to mention, even though that was their "policy" 20+ years ago, it hasn't changed...it's still $100 today.

• Members

When you read what is written within Paul's epistles about giving, the majority of it deals with taking care of the needs of other poor and needy Christians.  This is an area; in which, many of today's churches fail.  There are many church members who need help financially, yet the church seems to almost turn a blind eye to that.  In my area, it's a big thing for church leaders to say that things ought to be done "first class".  

Now, don't get me wrong...there's nothing wrong with doing things right and making things look as nice as possible.  However, when you have a 80 year old widow who can't buy her medicine, groceries, or pay the heating bill, but the church decides they need to put brick around their metal buildings instead of helping her...something's wrong.  

Many years ago, I was a member in a church who gave $100 to those in need.  It didn't matter if they needed $100 exactly or if they had just undergone major surgery, their house burned down, they lost their job...or whatever...they gave the person $100.  It also didn't matter if it was a church member or someone outside of the church who was asking for help.

The church should be more careful to take care of their own.

What all of that has to do with this thread...I have no idea!  :nuts:

Pertaining to the part I underlined, I've noticed in many churches its the whose who in that church that actually gets help from the church & not necessarily the ones that really needs help.

• Members

That's more than what they gave mother when her oldest son died. They gave her $50.00

A church she has given more than $30,000.00 in "tithes" was so gracious as to give her a whopping $50.00 in her time of need.

Too bad it didn't bankrupt that particular church.

You sound like one that expect to get your blessing & rewards now, remember if we make sacrifices for our Lord of giving of our self or our money we are storing up treasures in Heaven, & the rewards will come when we get to Heaven.

I've never expected a church to give me anything but godly support when trouble comes weather its sickness or loss of a loved one.

• Members

I don't expect anything from the church...except truth and obedience to God's Word. Obviously, with mother's pastor, thos qualities mean nothing. As a widow who had no immediate family members living near her, the church's responsibility was to provide for her as the Word says... Not the other way around.

• Moderators

I don't expect anything from the church...except truth and obedience to God's Word. Obviously, with mother's pastor, thos qualities mean nothing. As a widow who had no immediate family members living near her, the church's responsibility was to provide for her as the Word says... Not the other way around.

Wow, now the family as to be living near her to be responsible to help her??????

If there is no living family who can afford to help (legitimately not afford -- not because their stuff comes first!!) that's one thing -- but if they're too sorry or self-centered to help, that's another.

When my f-i-l was no longer able to live in Fl and my wife's siblings were too selfish to do anything worthwhile (one had a tiff with his Dad a few yeas previously and was holding  grudge, one's a druggie, one offered to put his Dad in a nursing home), we had to step in even though we were 1500 miles away.

Why didn't we expect the church to do something? Because the Scriptures don't say a thing about the family being too far away, feeling it's too much for their poor little emotions or might strain their budget -- it says if they have NO family!!!

• Members

There is no justification for such churches... Whether you think there is or not.

To think of the provision for the family mother could have given had the Church not lied to her more than half a century ago.  She has heard the monetary tithe lie so much that she has been brainwashed into believing it is true.

The Church has deceived many into believing that they will be cursed if they don't tithe, that they are robbing God if they don't.  The truth is, it is the Church that is guilty of robbing God.  They rob Him by robbing the flock through their deceit.

Matthew 25:41-46 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

• Members

There are many things in scripture we're commanded not to do and I know sometimes I'm not 'feeling it', but I still do what's commanded. Why would tithing be the only thing you don't have to do if you're not 'feeling it'?

Call it tithing, offering, love offering, gift, freewill offering, in a box, plate or bucket whatever you want but it's still needed by the church. Remember, we are still IN the world, not OF the world and IN THIS world it requires bills to be paid.

• Members

The Word of God is clear... we are to decide for ourselves what we want to give. There is no justification for any Church to teach a monetary tithe. It is a man-made doctrine that, when taught by the Church, causes God to not accept worship from that Church.

Matthew 15:9 (KJV) 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.

• Members

SFIC: yeah, yeah, yeah.... you're the only one on here that believes that on here from what I've read. I think YOU"RE the one who's misinterpreting scripture!

p.s. I will not respond to your posts regarding this matter after this as it would be :bang: .

• Members

SFIC: yeah, yeah, yeah.... you're the only one on here that believes that on here from what I've read. I think YOU"RE the one who's misinterpreting scripture!

p.s. I will not respond to your posts regarding this matter after this as it would be :bang: .

since you cannot produce one single verse of Scripture that instructs the congregation of the New Testament Church to tithe, it is clear that it is not I who is guilty of "misinterpreting Scripture", but rather you who is "misinterpreting Scripture."

You have no support for your stance. Soit does you no good to respond anyway.

• Members

Actually, 2 Corinthians 9 does not say it is a special offering for a special need and a special time. Read it again.

2 Corinthians 9:1-7 For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you: For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many. Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready: Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting. Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness. But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The offering is for the ministering to the saints. Doesn't say it is a special need or a special offering or a special time. Nice try though.

This will help me understand you better, are you giving more then 10 percent?

Archived