• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

William L. Pettingill?

• Members

Anyone familiar with William L. Pettingill? I know that he pastored the First Baptist Church located in New York City. He followed I.M. Haldeman in the pastorate there as well.  Other than that, I wonder if anyone is familar with him and his body of work...

• 2 years later...
  • Members

William Leroy Pettingill was married to my grandmother's Aunt Hattie (Brock Lockhart).  Hattie was a young widow who took in roomers and one of them was WIlliam Pettingill.  He was quite a bit younger than Hattie.  They were married in 1890.  They had a daughter, Ruth, who was mentally disabled.  My grandmother's mother lived with her young Aunt Hattie following both of her parents' deaths, and she married my great grandfather, John William Kopf , (who was the same age as Pettingill) in 1894.  The families kept in touch and when my grandmother had twins in 1930, he sent a note that I have in my archives.  My grandmother remembered bother her father and husband saying that Aunt Hattie was the "personification of a lady."  

My grandmother remembered attending the ceremony and dinner party at Wheaton College when Pettingill received an honorary doctorate from Wheaton in 1927.  She heard him preach several times at Moody Institute in Chicago.  My grandparents visited Aunt Hattie and Pettingill in Wilmington, Delaware around 1932.  Hattie died between this visit and Uncle Will's remarriage in 1936.

I gathered this information from my grandmother about 1990 while working on my family history.

• Members

Kathleen,

Thank you for the historical information on your family tree.

Unless I am mistaken (and I hope that I am not), William L. Pettingill was one of the consulting editors with C. I. Scofield; i.e., the Scofield Reference Bible.

Regards,

Alan