• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

You Call Yourself Baptist?

irishman

• Members

Ah, you're one of 'those' ones. :wink I have a friend like you. He trusted Christ and never doubted, and could never understand why I was doubting.  Your estimation of the cause is accurate. When I went through my doubting period, it was basically because I couldn't remember if I had 'repented properly' and or 'believed right.'  I didn't get assurance until I quite consciously stopped looking at myself and just clung to the promises in God's Word.

AMEN!

• Moderators

Ah, you're one of 'those' ones. :wink I have a friend like you. He trusted Christ and never doubted, and could never understand why I was doubting.  Your estimation of the cause is accurate. When I went through my doubting period, it was basically because I couldn't remember if I had 'repented properly' and or 'believed right.'  I didn't get assurance until I quite consciously stopped looking at myself and just clung to the promises in God's Word.

My wife was raised Catholic and about a year after getting saved fought the "did it or said it right" battle. About 6 months later she got victory, the verse the Lord used was John 6:37  "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

This came up in a discussion once and our son-in-law said "That's a Calvinist verse" to which my wife replied "There are no Calvinist, Armenian, Catholic, or anyone else verses --- that's a BIBLE verse!"

• Members

Probably the majority of people who have doubts about their salvation are part of a church that teaches works based salvation without eternal security. that is they teach their members you can be lost one day, saved the next, them lost again tomorrow. And of course the majority of churches teaches a works base salvation.

• Members

It is only logical to believe that an eternal God gives eternal gifts, such as salvation.  Yes, salvation is a gift, given freely to all that ask for it, and it is an eternal gift, even as God is an eternal God.  It is unmerited, and undeserved, yet given from a heart of love.  So, is God so fickle as to give us a gift, and then take it back if we don’t “toe the line”?  That is the question before us here, is God likely to love us enough while we were “yet sinners” and then abandon us later when we prove it?  He knows us through and through, and there are no surprises with Him as far as our flesh is concerned.  He already knew, at the time He saved us, that we would sin again, and He knew to what depths that sin would take us, but He saved us any way!  

Eternal security is:

Scriptural;

Logical;

and loving.

and, as bro. Jerry mentioned, most denominations DO NOT teach or believe it.  Even many of the old preachers who have gone on to their reward, and may have brought revival to our country preached a works doctrine.  John Wesley did, as I have read one of his sermons!  Andrew Murray does, and promotes Lordship salvation (works).  Even Billy Sunday may have preached works doctrine while he nearly brought prohibition to America.

• Members

I've been in several Baptist churches, as well as a couple of Assembly of God churches, where every week or two certain people would continually go forward during the altar call. Some went forward "to make sure" while others responded to the "rededicate your life" call, which most who responded to this were of the "I better make sure" mindset.

I certainly wouldn't say all of these were not saved. In fact, I think some were, but it was after they were saved they heard preaching or teaching that made them wonder, or they were being confused by the devil.

Scripture commands us to examine our faith to make sure we are biblically saved. That's a good thing. However, when we examine the matter we are to be digging into Scripture in order to determine if we have been biblically saved. If so, we are to thank God and move forward from there. Most of those who keep going forward, repeating "sinners prayers", and such never do an actual biblical examination. This is usually because they don't know how or even that they should. Again, another major reason Scripture calls us to make disciples, not "converts".

In churches where the same people continually come forward for salvation or rededications, it's likely there is also a problem with the pastor. A biblically grounded pastor would know these same people constantly coming before him for salvation or rededication are in need of his counsel and need to be discipled. Which leads to the question, why do so many pastors allow the same folks to keep coming forward as they do?

Over the years I've seen many who were probably biblically saved, yet after that for one reason or another they began to worry about their salvation, with some going through that "getting saved" event over and over again as they try to find assurance.

In my own walk with the Lord, I experienced some worry and doubts during the first year or so after I was saved. I didn't recognize it at the time, but it was the work of the devil influencing my mind. Thankfully I was finally introduced to the biblical principle of "once saved, always saved", along with the proof of it's biblical reality. The devil could then no longer torment my mind in that area because I KNEW I was saved and moved forward in my walk with Christ.

We need to disciple all we are able to.

The church where I am now used to have, from what I can tell of gossip, a very good, fundamental preacher.  In fact, the members talk bad of him, and I walk away thinking "how wonderful he must have been."  (It does give me alot to preach about for their sakes.)  Anyway, this preacher would preach and the members would go away questioning their salvation.  This happened alot of times.  Not because the preacher was asking them to question their own salvation, just this mans preaching caused this to happen.  It so bothered them, you know what they did?  They did not search the Scriptures to see if they were saved, they got rid of the preacher!!  My brother-in-law questions whether they are saved in the first place and if it was the Holy Spirit convicting them that was making them uncomfortable.  After being here over a year, I am thinking the same thing. 

• Moderators

The church where I am now used to have, from what I can tell of gossip, a very good, fundamental preacher.  In fact, the members talk bad of him, and I walk away thinking "how wonderful he must have been."  (It does give me alot to preach about for their sakes.)  Anyway, this preacher would preach and the members would go away questioning their salvation.  This happened alot of times.  Not because the preacher was asking them to question their own salvation, just this mans preaching caused this to happen.  It so bothered them, you know what they did?  They did not search the Scriptures to see if they were saved, they got rid of the preacher!!  My brother-in-law questions whether they are saved in the first place and if it was the Holy Spirit convicting them that was making them uncomfortable.  After being here over a year, I am thinking the same thing. 

Wow.... you've got quite the road to travel there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Pray for them to get saved or get out. I have done this to great effect-we have had, in the past, many who were not in one accord, so much so that it hurt the spirit in the church-we prayed that they would get roight/get saved, or get out. Many left, and as each left, we saw door open and folks come. Those who left, we prayed for, and many have remained in touch and remained friends, and got in other churches and are doing well. Only one have I had to actually remove from the church due to her attitude.

Archived