• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Parent's Own Cursing And Profanity Cause Children To

Guest "I am chief"

I know it promotes cursing and use of profanity in the children. What else can it do?

Cause children to disrespect the parent?

Cause rebellion in the children?

Be a forerunner to juvenile delinquency? 

What effects or impact can a parent's abuse of language have on children?

I need some guidance...I can't recall what the Bible says about this. Also, anywhere psychology and family counselors have any Biblically aligned suggestions, I would gladly take a look at. Anyone here at OB with information including personal experience, links, books, would be welcomed. Thanks.

• Members

There's no doubt the way the parents behave has a big effect on children.

I'm very thankful my father, mother, nor grandmother used any profanity, & I do not remember ever hearing any of our relatives that i was around use it either. I believe them not using such language gave me much respect of them. Of course those who have been raised by parents who cuss all the time probably do not know any difference & they highly respect their parents.

I wan't lie, I've used many words I should have not, yet most times I would never use cuss words. I recall being around a couple of my classmates fathers who would talk rather rough, & you can guess it, their sons talked very rough too.

I recall seeing my father catch his finger in a car door, hitting it with a hammer once, & there was not bad words that came from his mouth. That did have an affect on me, I think. I say I think for sometimes when we look back on our self we seem to not see our self being as bad as we actually were, & we can be look trying to make our self look better than others or better than what we really were. I think most of the bad words that I've used were because of those I was around.

While in the Air Force I heard more bad talk that any period in my life. We had a engine shop shuttle truck that carried us to the flight line to the air planes we had to work on. At the start of the shift the whole crew would be on the truck & there was nearly always bad talk & jokes being told.

Many, many years back I began to shed all the bad words I used. It really was not that difficult, & I believe it was because of the influence of father, mother, & grandmother had on me during my growing up years, along with all the Christian teachings I've had, along with wanting to be Christ like as much as possible.

I know of some Christians that seems that the use of bad words, cussing, may be their besetting sin, or at least the one that shows itself in public.

• Members

People used to have respect for women and children, and even if they did cuss around other men, had enough respect not to do it around women and children.  That respect is gone today, and it makes no difference who is around.  So yes, the use of profanity does eliminate respect for others.  When you do not respect others, it is easy to show that disrespect in other ways, lying, stealing, cheating, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I used to work in a large office in London.  It was all men workers except one, Maud, our filing clerk.  If any of them used a bad word in front of her, they would say "Oh, sorry Maud."  But there was a department with all young women and their language was far worse, and they never apologized.

• Members

I used to work in a large office in London.  It was all men workers except one, Maud, our filing clerk.  If any of them used a bad word in front of her, they would say "Oh, sorry Maud."  But there was a department with all young women and their language was far worse, and they never apologized.

I've been told that a group of women talk much worse than a group of men, & I believe it.

• Members

I've been told that a group of women talk much worse than a group of men, & I believe it.

It's a terrible truth. Many women today think they have to cuss more than men, drink more than men, act stupid more than men, be more wild than men, in order to prove they are real women. If that's not messed up, Satan spawned thinking I don't know what is.

Archived