• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus Pastor Of The First Church?

1611mac

• Members

This question or issue about when the Church actually started is more important than you might think: Because it effects so many other Doctrines.
The fact is, the Church was stared in Acts 2:, in the upper room.

But some teach that the Church was in existence during the Lord’s Earthly ministry that is recorded in the Gospels: And to prove this they refer to the definition of the word “Church”(a called out assembly).  And although the Church is a called out assembly, it is much more that.

For instance, Jesus said.......
“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)

Now you could concentrate on the words, “I will build my church”(as being future-tense), but that is not a very strong argument.  I prefer to look at the ROCK, the Lord is talking about.  Peter wasn’t this ROCK, like the Catholics teach; So what was this rock.
It was the statement that Peter had just made.......
“And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16)

This fact(That Jesus is the Christ), is the ROCK that the Church is built upon.  A called out assembly, can ONLY BE A CHURCH, if they are preaching that Jesus is the Christ.
If they are preaching anything else, than they can’t be called “a Church”!

So, how do we know for sure, that the Church didn’t exist during the Lord’s Earthly ministry as recorded in the Gospels..?
Because of what Jesus said, a few verses later.....
“Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.” (Matthew 16:20)

The called out assembly in the Gospels WAS NOT THE CHURCH, because they were prevented from preaching that Jesus was the Christ.
------------------------
So, when did this all change?........
“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

At this point in time, Jesus gave his disciples permission to preach that He was the Christ, and the next chapter in the Bible we have the birth of the Church recorded!

• Members

Seems there needs to be some study on when Jesus' Churches got started, right here is a very good place to start your study. By the way Jesus founded & started His own Church, He did not leave such & important matter to mankind, & He is still the Head of each local church.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the Saviour of the body.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

We pastors are only the under-shepherd.

• Members

There is much debate as to when the church actually began.

Most I know of accept that the church didn't begin until after the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. This, because no one could trust and put their faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice before He did this.

Jesus and the Apostles lived under the Old Testament (Covenant) prior to Christ establishing the New Covenant by His sacrifice.

Scripture tells us that Jesus is the head of the church. The church is made up of born again followers of Christ and they are also known as His bride.

I truly do not want to hijack your thread, but just think about that response for a minute. If that is true, then how could any OT saint ever "look forward to the cross" an be saved!!

Again, John I do not say you believe that or no, but I sometimes just want to point out contradicting potions as that "looking forward to the cross" thing is really hard to base upon the scriptures.

Anyways.... carry one. Don´t mind me.

God bless,

calvary

Archived