• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Yesterday Years & Sin

JerryNumbers

• Administrators

The thing is, in yesteryear, the rank and file of this country WERE more God-fearing.  There was sin, there always is.  Anywhere.  But this country was founded on biblical principles, and the majority of the people of the country were either Christian or religious, or at least God-fearing.  Sodomy and abortion were not issues back then because if it happened, it was frowned upon greatly by all of society - even the lost - and hidden.  Adultery was the same way, as was divorce, etc.  Were things perfect? Of course not, but evil was restrained because the pulpits (of a number of denominations - Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist, Presbyterian, etc) preached the gospel without restraint or shame.  And people listened. If kids went to school, the teachers taught using the Bible and biblical books as textbooks, as well as true history and actual reading, cursive writing, Greek, Hebrew, etc.

But as time went on, people began to be "educated" in places like Germany, where kindergarten originated (for the purpose of reaching kids at a younger age for indoctrination...) and relevant theology was introduced, "modern" teaching methods, etc.  Education began to be an indoctrination into these new ideas and so students began to shed some of the mores they'd been taught.

And so it went....as time continued to pass, morals became a wee bit looser and a wee bit looser.  Not for everyone, but enough that it made the news. And by the news making it an issue, people began to think that was what everyone but a few were doing.  And so it became acceptable.  And the pattern continues.

Yes, speakeasies were common in the Roaring '20s.  But not everyone went to them .  They made the news because it was still sensational - and they were a reaction to Prohibition.  It's no accident that speakeasies ceased to exist, by and large, by the 30s because prohibition lasted from 1920-1933 (of course, bars became really popular and remain so...).

But not all morals were corrupted.  And it was still disapproved by rank and file society.

It's been a slow, effective erosion.  Seeds were planted many, many years ago (of course, in the Garden, but I'm referencing here in America) and began to bear fruit, in a BIG way, in the 60s.  

Immorality and immodesty became commonplace, and is accepted by even Christians today (many of whom also participate). Sodomy is well on its way to being totally accepted (even amongst Christians).  And now terrorism is the next step to be accepted (Rick Warren claiming Allah and God are the same is the start...even if he is worldly).  Continued bombardment by the media creates the idea in people's minds that this kind of thing is happening everywhere, and people are accepting it - and that there is good reason for it.  And so people cave...(think Stockholm Syndrome)

Because pastors, for the most part, are not preaching the Word of God without apology.  And families are not spending time in the Word of God, studying it and then applying it to their lives.  "Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord."  "Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people." Yes, sin has always been here. But it was not exalted at our beginnings like it is now.  God blessed this country because the PEOPLE of the country, in large degree, were godly - not because of any governmental action.  But now that even the Christian people of this country are laying down the sword (and Sword), sin has become rampant and our nation is now in reproach.

• Members

Where are the men who should be leading their wives and daughters to know better and to dress modestly?

I'm right here!

The thing is, in yesteryear, the rank and file of this country WERE more God-fearing.  There was sin, there always is.  Anywhere.  But this country was founded on biblical principles, and the majority of the people of the country were either Christian or religious, or at least God-fearing.  

:goodpost:

• Members

When cameras were first invented among the first things they were used for was to take pictures of naked women. The same was true for movie cameras. Prior to the 1930s when a morality board was established to screen and censor movies, many of the movies featured nudity. Many of us may remember the old Tarzan movies and TV shows as being good clean fun, but in some of the older Tarzan movies there was nudity.

Someone wrote a good report about how what we have today makes the things of 10 or 20 years ago look tame, and that's almost the same path the church walks. What the church denounces today, in the next 10-20 years they will be embracing. They went back to the earlier 20th century and followed the fashion trends, from dresses, swimwear and styles, and they noticed that each time the secular world pushed the boundaries the church spoke against it. Yet in about 10 years or so when the boundaries were being pushed further, the church would look back at what they had denounced and decide that since it was more modest than the current styles, and some of their church members were starting to wear them anyway, they would accept them.

This is how we ended up with "church women" wearing pant suits, short and otherwise immodest dresses and even mini-skirts. This is also how we went from "church women" either not being in public in a swim suit to wearing full swimsuits, then much more revealing full swimsuits, then accept the more "modest" bikinis and today we see many "church women" wearing the same exceedingly immodest swimwear as the world.

While in most of our churches things haven't gotten so bad, it's becoming more common to see certain aspects of immodesty creeping in. This often involves women wearing overly tight dresses, dresses which are a little shorter each year, low cut tops, etc. No, most of our churches wouldn't accept what can be seen in many other churches today, but the creeping immodesty is working its way into our churches. What might that mean in our churches 10-20 years down the line? Where are the men who should be leading their wives and daughters to know better and to dress modestly?

That's true, for most have become desensitized. Plus many are unaware of all that type of stuff that was around years ago.

Use to usually Circus & Carnivals always had some sort of adult entertainment. The 1st one I remember I was probably about 10 or 12 years of age. A friend asked me to go to the Carnival at town with him. While there I remember the boy i went with & I went looking for his father. we found him standing outside of a tent. there was a immodest dressed woman & man talking to everyone trying to entice them to pay & come in & watch the show. At that time I did not realize just what it was, it was a few years later that I realized what it was all about.

And I remember when In FFA in high school we went to the livestock show in a larger town while their Carnival was taking place. they had a tent with a girly show, & at that time I knew what it was. But it was close during the day time but they while we were there yet they had pictures of immodest dressed women to try & attack peoples attention.

I recall the 1st time I saw those peek shows, those thing you place a quarter in & watch a girly show. it was at a truck stop in Louisville, KY. I had not idea what they were & asked someone, they told me but looked at me as if I did not have good sense.

Many people have lived sheltered life's & not aware of all the stuff like that that takes place around may communities. My early years were sheltered & I'm very glad they were. All children needs to live sheltered life's during their growing up years while being taught about Jesus daily.

• Members

I'm right here!

:goodpost:

I feel, I think John mentioned something like this in one of his post. That today, percentage wise, we have about the same number of true Christians in this nation. Yet we have many more false teaching Churches that hold to false teachings.

And of course in the pages of the Bible it seems to imply as Jesus coming for His own gets closer that will happen.

Plus as we get older, if we stay in the Word we grow in Christ, we learn more about the ways of our Father, them we become more aware of all the sin that's around us, that's taking place in this world. That is its always been around, we were either shelter from it, are unaware.

People who grown us in small towns do have a much more shelter life than those who grow up in the larger cities. Many things that goes on happens first in the larger cities them makes its way to the smaller towns. For instants gown up in rural country side attending school in a small town I had never heard of dope or Mary Jane, I became aware of it after I got to my 1st home base while in the Air Force.

Mary Jane is the 1st thing I head Marijuana called.

• Members

I recall the 1st time I saw those peek shows...

Many people have lived sheltered life's & not aware of all the stuff like that that takes place around may communities. My early years were sheltered & I'm very glad they were. All children needs to live sheltered life's during their growing up years while being taught about Jesus daily.

I wish I'd never seen them, nor indulged in them.  Not just "adult" things, but things of violence, gore and immorality.  Foolishly, my wife and I, before we were saved, exposed our eldest daughter to many things in the wrong thinking that seeing them now, under our guidance, would help her later in life.  No, it was just as damaging to her as it was us.  Praise God that he gave us the sense to stop, to stick to His Word and shield the younger ones from it as best we know how.

• Members

I wish I'd never seen them, nor indulged in them.  Not just "adult" things, but things of violence, gore and immorality.  Foolishly, my wife and I, before we were saved, exposed our eldest daughter to many things in the wrong thinking that seeing them now, under our guidance, would help her later in life.  No, it was just as damaging to her as it was us.  Praise God that he gave us the sense to stop, to stick to His Word and shield the younger ones from it as best we know how.

I admit, I did watch one of the peek show machines, I suppose I was curious, & curiosity got the best of me. They say curiosity killed the cat, thankfully that did not kill me. Yet after i watched it I though why in the world are so many truck drivers spending their money on these things. It was very poor quality, & to me it was sickening.

I'm glad I grew up in rural America 6 miles west of a small town, & not in big town America. Some says it makes no difference yet I feel young people are exposed to much less in small town America.

• Members

I admit, I did watch one of the peek show machines, I suppose I was curious, & curiosity got the best of me. They say curiosity killed the cat, thankfully that did not kill me. Yet after i watched it I though why in the world are so many truck drivers spending their money on these things. It was very poor quality, & to me it was sickening.

I'm glad I grew up in rural America 6 miles west of a small town, & not in big town America. Some says it makes no difference yet I feel young people are exposed to much less in small town America.

I've mentioned this quote in the past, I can't remember just how it went, yet it sure is true. And thinking  about making this post about the 1st time I saw a peep show reminded me of it.

Sometime a person happiness depends on what they have not done, they have not seen, they have not read. There's many things that I would love to purge from my mind.

Yet it seems for many of us we have trouble remembering the things we want to remember & need to remember, yet some of those things that sneaks into our mind cluttering that we do not need in our minds are very hard perhaps even impossible to get rid of.

I recall years ago one of my favorite pastors told me that the human mind is very evil. At that time I believe I had him setting up on a pedestal that I should not have & he realized it & he was trying to set me strait. At the time he said that I don't believe I took him seriously, yet as I got older I realized how much truth was in what he said.

I recall listening to a sermon, I can't remember who nor when it was but the pastor got off on this thought & mentioned that a bad though had just passed though his mind. I remember him saying there's many times we can't control the thoughts that may hit our mind, yet we can quickly dismiss it & not act on such thoughts. And of course those thoughts come into our mind because of something we did, we saw, or heard, or maybe read. And that is a very good reason to be very cautious about where we go, who we hang out with, what we do, what kind of books we read, movies or TV shows we watch. And parents need to try & guard the minds of their children as much as possible & for as long as they can.

Archived