• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Yesterday Years & Sin

JerryNumbers

• Members
I was thinking of four women today & the life they lived.

One was the mother of a classmate, I recall her being talked about always have a boyfriend, & usually changing them quite often. The 1st time I witness it was during high school.

I grew up at a country store about 6 miles from town. I believe it was one Saturday morning early a man stopped in the store & I was watching the store. I believe I was in the 9th or 10th grade.

This man looked all ruffled up, as if he had been out all night, drinking & whatever. Where he parked I could only see the very front of his car. He came in buying a couple of soft drinks & a pack of cigarettes. After he walked out I went to the front window on the side he parked & as he pulled out I saw that my classmates mother was with him. I was very disappointed, feeling for my classmate, Kay. For when I saw her mother I knew what had been said about her mother was true. In latter years her mother got a divorce married a man that had money & he got killed on the job leaving her with a big bank account. But she never stopped having boyfriends.

Plus there was a man & women that lived up north of us who had 2 men friends. Growing up I saw them many time coming from towards town turning north. One of was the owner of a car dealership & the other one was a lawyer. I found it to be true they visited her for her entertainment. Of course they would only go to her house on weekday, & never on holidays for her husband worked for the State Highway Department, he was the local foreman. He loved quail hunting & so did my father & in the early years father went hunting with hm. But father stopped & I did not find out till years later why. He had no respect for other peoples property. And father knew it was a matter of time till there was trouble. When it happen thankfully no one got hurt. I always felt he took his frustration out on his bird hunting. This man & wife was very friendly & they stopped at our store often & they always treated me very nice.

The 3rd one was a bit younger than I & she had a sister that was my classmate. She married a friend of mine & they live up north of us. Not to long after getting married she became very good friend of the woman I spoke of right above this. they visited often. them soon she had her a man friend. Nearly every morning about the time her husband would leave home he would arrive.

Yet during the day her husband would return home at times staying a while them leave again. Her man friend was at his home every night with his wife. But his wife was never with him when he was at this other woman house.And this went on until her man fiend health got bad & he could no longer come & go as he did before.

I’ve never rightly talked to anyone about it yet I’ve had many that tired to talk to me about these women. When situations like this are around it becomes the talk of the town. Of course the wife & I have spoke about it to one another but we do not talk to others about it. We've always know its gone on but I have always felt its best not to talk to people about it. I’ve had other inform me of happenings but I just acted dumb.

Down south of me there was one I never did know about till later years. Probably was in the 80’s that I first found out. And it totally shocked me. This woman went to Gospel singing over at a another town west of here & found her a boy friend. I understand sometimes she did not return home spending the night with him, & at times he would return with her spending the night with her & her husband. Oh, she did not drive so her husband always drove her to the singings. Yet every once in a  while this man would come pick her up.

And yes, they were all having an inappropriate relationships for they have all been caught several times in compromising situations many different times.

The 1st two I spoke of were going on when I was just a young boy in the, the 3rd one started in the very early 70’s, & I don’t know when the last one got started.

Its amazing at this sin that goes on around us, even in yesterday years. I wonder how many other people were sinning just as these were that I never heard about. Is there really more sin going on today than yesterday years, are is more people are more open with their sins?

• Members

Preacher, I would venture to say there has always been sin and debauchery (in America) but it was not until the 1950s that our American society began to indulge in such deviant behaviors.  It was there before, the roaring '20s a case in point but as God was replaced with self, little gods, it became more and more rampant.  As almost all of those folks have passed on now, we can only read about how it was way back then as adults in the 1780s, 1880s and 1910s even.

Yes, in the times you mentioned people were more discreet because in public it was a shame to do such things.  But in time our society began to not only tolerate it but to promote it as normal behavior.  In certain circles in this country deviant behavior with children and animals is celebrated and not put down harshly.

Come Lord Jesus, come quickly!

• Members

Preacher, I would venture to say there has always been sin and debauchery (in America) but it was not until the 1950s that our American society began to indulge in such deviant behaviors.  It was there before, the roaring '20s a case in point but as God was replaced with self, little gods, it became more and more rampant.  As almost all of those folks have passed on now, we can only read about how it was way back then as adults in the 1780s, 1880s and 1910s even.

Yes, in the times you mentioned people were more discreet because in public it was a shame to do such things.  But in time our society began to not only tolerate it but to promote it as normal behavior.  In certain circles in this country deviant behavior with children and animals is celebrated and not put down harshly.

Come Lord Jesus, come quickly!

Right, & that's the point, yet many act as if sin just started to abound in last several years in this country, & before that all was well, & this country was a great wonderful place, even a Christian nation.

• Members

Right, & that's the point, yet many act as if sin just started to abound in last several years in this country, & before that all was well, & this country was a great wonderful place, even a Christian nation.

I would be guilty of that, I used to think George W Bush was conservative too!  Then in 2007 God saved me from my sins and while I thought I was wise before, now I could really see.

We live in a lost and dying country.  The difference between today and 1965 is that societal norms were closer to bible standards, even the lost accepted and lived by many more biblical precepts than they do today.  There was less crime, the family unit was stronger with more children, we had far more freedoms compared with today.

My wife and I were driving today and there was a motorcycle with his lady on the back.  She was dressed in a bikini top and short jean shorts.  Men in other cars were on the verge of crashing into each other to get a closer look of this woman in the attire of a harlot.  The motorcycle would speed away and 3/4-ton pickups would belch out black diesel exhaust to try and catch up, a guy in a Ferrari had a fast car but couldn't see or make his way through all the cars though he tried in vain.  It was pathetic, but that used to be me before I was married and saved too!

• Members

I would be guilty of that, I used to think George W Bush was conservative too!  Then in 2007 God saved me from my sins and while I thought I was wise before, now I could really see.

We live in a lost and dying country.  The difference between today and 1965 is that societal norms were closer to bible standards, even the lost accepted and lived by many more biblical precepts than they do today.  There was less crime, the family unit was stronger with more children, we had far more freedoms compared with today.

My wife and I were driving today and there was a motorcycle with his lady on the back.  She was dressed in a bikini top and short jean shorts.  Men in other cars were on the verge of crashing into each other to get a closer look of this woman in the attire of a harlot.  The motorcycle would speed away and 3/4-ton pickups would belch out black diesel exhaust to try and catch up, a guy in a Ferrari had a fast car but couldn't see or make his way through all the cars though he tried in vain.  It was pathetic, but that used to be me before I was married and saved too!

Were they really that close to Bible standards in the 60's? I think not. I remember my father, mother, & a few others that spoke of things that went on in these parts in the 20's, 30's, & 40's & it was not even close to being Bible morals. Back them they had drinking joints & plenty of women for the mean who looked for them.

Our newspaper has what they call the "Early Files."  Its articles that was in the paper years ago. One Early File was about a woman wearing a dress that was split to the thigh on our Main Street side walk, the years of 1909.

Sin has abounded in this country right from the start.

• Members

The difference is, though, that back then a woman showing her thighs was unusual enough to be news. Now it's normal.

Point being it was done in the very early 1900's, way before the 60's.

And go back to the western days in the last half of the 1800's & see what the women showed in the beer drinking joints. We did not just get bad starting in the 60's, we were already bad.

• Members

Only a small percentage of the country has ever been born again Christians. I don' recall the source right now, but earlier this year I read that regular church attenders has never exceeded about one-third of the population. Just as today, so it has been throughout the history of the country, that most of those regular church attenders are not biblical Christians; they are "Christian by birth", "Christian because of family", "Christian by tradition" or "Christians" for some other reason that's not biblical.

It's very true there has always been harlots in the land and houses of ill repute thrived away from the main population centers. Whole encampments of "hookers" followed the Union army in the 1860s war. Saloons were among the first businesses established in towns as people spread from the Atlantic seaboard to California. These saloons virtually always featured prostitutes. Even back in the "civilized" East, everyone knew what part of the city to go to if they wanted to find prostitutes.

While not as much was written about it earlier in America, partly due to lack of mass media, there is enough written that we know things like premarital sex and adultery were going on then too. There were numerous "homes" established across the land where pregnant women could go to have their babies away from their families so as to try and hide their sinful sex habits.

Drunkenness has been a problem from early America to today, along with the various sins which typically accompany such.

Scams, robbery, theft, rape, assault and murder have always had a home here.

In some parts of early America, usually in the more populated areas and in areas where churches held sway, there was the attempt to outwardly appear upright, to appear "Christian". This became the standard for those wanting to appear "respectable". Many began rebelling against this, even early on, and we can see a steady progression of that rebellion throughout the 20th century.

It's not so much that there is more sin in America today as it is folks today don't try to hide it, many are no longer ashamed by such, and in fact the rebellious attitude has spread so wide that it's a matter of pride to openly sinful. Women from Hollywood to mainstreet take pride in exposing most of their bodies in public and then taking enjoyment in the crude attention they get. Many men do the same thing. Songs are written about the pride and joy of casual sex with scores of partners.

Rebellion, pride and the mass media has propelled sin into the limelight so we see it much more today, people are exposed to it much more, much sooner in life, and there is little to counter the continuous promotion of sin as normal, desirable and acceptable.

• Members

Ge 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Ps 14:1 ¶ The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Ps 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
Ps 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Jer 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Yet some thinks this applies to everyone but them, or every nation except for American, & or it did not start applying to American until the 50's thru the 70's.

• Members

Were they really that close to Bible standards in the 60's? I think not. 

I meant closer than today.  The clothing of even the late '60s was more modest on the whole than today.  

Last year I was recording on the DVR old movies from the teens and twenties, the first movies with sound.  In one, the leading lady spent most of her camera time changing in and out of her nurses uniform.  Yes, immorality abounded even then.   

• Members

I meant closer than today.  The clothing of even the late '60s was more modest on the whole than today.  

Last year I was recording on the DVR old movies from the teens and twenties, the first movies with sound.  In one, the leading lady spent most of her camera time changing in and out of her nurses uniform.  Yes, immorality abounded even then.   

When cameras were first invented among the first things they were used for was to take pictures of naked women. The same was true for movie cameras. Prior to the 1930s when a morality board was established to screen and censor movies, many of the movies featured nudity. Many of us may remember the old Tarzan movies and TV shows as being good clean fun, but in some of the older Tarzan movies there was nudity.

Someone wrote a good report about how what we have today makes the things of 10 or 20 years ago look tame, and that's almost the same path the church walks. What the church denounces today, in the next 10-20 years they will be embracing. They went back to the earlier 20th century and followed the fashion trends, from dresses, swimwear and styles, and they noticed that each time the secular world pushed the boundaries the church spoke against it. Yet in about 10 years or so when the boundaries were being pushed further, the church would look back at what they had denounced and decide that since it was more modest than the current styles, and some of their church members were starting to wear them anyway, they would accept them.

This is how we ended up with "church women" wearing pant suits, short and otherwise immodest dresses and even mini-skirts. This is also how we went from "church women" either not being in public in a swim suit to wearing full swimsuits, then much more revealing full swimsuits, then accept the more "modest" bikinis and today we see many "church women" wearing the same exceedingly immodest swimwear as the world.

While in most of our churches things haven't gotten so bad, it's becoming more common to see certain aspects of immodesty creeping in. This often involves women wearing overly tight dresses, dresses which are a little shorter each year, low cut tops, etc. No, most of our churches wouldn't accept what can be seen in many other churches today, but the creeping immodesty is working its way into our churches. What might that mean in our churches 10-20 years down the line? Where are the men who should be leading their wives and daughters to know better and to dress modestly?

Archived