• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Habakkuk 3 Describes Revelation 16:1-17

• Members

Habakkuk 3:1-16 describes Revelation 16:1-17 the Vial Judgments

Habakkuk 3:1-16
1 A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth.
2 O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.

(((The following verses are about God's prophecy and vision which he told and showed to Habakkuk. )))

3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
4 And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.

(next the first vial judgment Revelation 16:2)
5 Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet.

(Revelation 16:20 7th vial)
6 He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.
7 I saw the tents of Cushan in affliction: and the curtains of the land of Midian did tremble.

(Revelation 16:4, 3rd vial)
8 Was the LORD displeased against the rivers? was thine anger against the rivers?

(Revelation 16:3 2nd vial)
was thy wrath against the sea, that thou didst ride upon thine horses and thy chariots of salvation?
9 Thy bow was made quite naked, according to the oaths of the tribes, even thy word. Selah. Thou didst cleave the earth with rivers.
10 The mountains saw thee, and they trembled: the overflowing of the water passed by: the deep uttered his voice, and lifted up his hands on high.

(Revelation 16:10-11 5th vial is a permanent solar eclipse over Israel which will be the seat of the beast Daniel 11:45)
11The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

(Revelation 16:16 6th vial men to Armageddon for judgment)
12 Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.
13 Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.
14 Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.
15 Thou didst walk through the sea with thine horses, through the heap of great waters.

16 When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.

• Members

Nonsense - it's not a prophecy, but Habakkuk's response to the prophecy he has been given. Habakkuk has been told of the coming judgment on Judah by the Chaldeans. Though he argues with God, he is told to live by faith - a need we all have - living by faith in adversity as well as being saved by faith in Christ.

Hab. 3 is his prayerful response - he remembers God's mighty works of the past - the chapter is full of allusions to God's mighty works for Israel. He knows whatever happens, God can be trusted, so he rejoices.

• Members

There sure seems to be a lot of attempts to make historical passages into prophetic passages for the end times. The OT is filled with many references to judgment that was soon to come upon Israel, in their day, not some time thousands of years hence, and of judgment upon Israel at that time and of times the Lord judged Israel in the past. Most all of these are just exactly what they say and not some portent for the end of the world.

• Members

There sure seems to be a lot of attempts to make historical passages into prophetic passages for the end times. The OT is filled with many references to judgment that was soon to come upon Israel, in their day, not some time thousands of years hence, and of judgment upon Israel at that time and of times the Lord judged Israel in the past. Most all of these are just exactly what they say and not some portent for the end of the world.

Habakkuk 2:2-3

2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.

3For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

• Members

Habakkuk 2:2-3

2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.

3For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

Ther are 307 "ends" in Scripture. We need to consider the context.

Reading Habakkuk,

1:1 I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

2 And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.

3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

So, when is the "end" in context? Paul quotes v. 4 three times, so the end in question is the Apostolic end times -the transition from the old covenant to the new.

The immediate context for Habakkuk is the end of Israel's disregard of the Law:

1:1 The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.

2 O Lord, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save!

3 Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention.

4 Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth.

5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

6 For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwellingplaces that are not their's.

That end was to be brought about by the Chaldean invasion, but as Jeremiah prophesies: For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end. (4:27) The "full end" would come after another rebellion! (Mat. 23)

When Jesus begins his ministry we read: Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. (Mark 1) We see that

"End times" began with Jesus.

• Members

Ther are 307 "ends" in Scripture. We need to consider the context.

Reading Habakkuk,

1:1 I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

2 And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.

3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

So, when is the "end" in context? Paul quotes v. 4 three times, so the end in question is the Apostolic end times -the transition from the old covenant to the new.

The immediate context for Habakkuk is the end of Israel's disregard of the Law:

1:1 The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.

2 O Lord, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save!

3 Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention.

4 Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth.

5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

6 For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwellingplaces that are not their's.

That end was to be brought about by the Chaldean invasion, but as Jeremiah prophesies: For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end. (4:27) The "full end" would come after another rebellion! (Mat. 23)

When Jesus begins his ministry we read: Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. (Mark 1) We see that

"End times" began with Jesus.

Yes it was the beginning of the last days.

• Members

Psalm 149:4-9
4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people(Saints): he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory(Heaven): let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Habakkuk 2:7-8
7 Shall they not rise up suddenly that shall bite thee, and awake that shall vex thee, and thou shalt be for booties unto them?
8 Because thou hast spoiled many nations, all the remnant of the people shall spoil thee; because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein.

Habakkuk 3:12-14
12 Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.
13 Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.
14 Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.

• Members

Psalm 149:4-9
4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people(Saints): he will beautify the meek with salvation.
5 Let the saints be joyful in glory(Heaven): let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

Habakkuk 2:7-8
7 Shall they not rise up suddenly that shall bite thee, and awake that shall vex thee, and thou shalt be for booties unto them?
8 Because thou hast spoiled many nations, all the remnant of the people shall spoil thee; because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein.

Habakkuk 3:12-14

Just how are you trying to say this supports your theory?

• Members

Just how are you trying to say this supports your theory?

Habakkuk 2:2-5

(((God told Habakkuk that the terrible vision he was seeing was for the end of time.)))

(((Jesus was lifted up so the just could live by faith.)))

4Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

(((The antichrist would come and and gather all nations unto him self.)))

5Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

• Members

Habakkuk 2:2-5

(((God told Habakkuk that the terrible vision he was seeing was for the end of time.)))

Sorry, Eric, but if you actually read Scripture in sequence, in context, you would not say what you are saying:

1:5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

What did IN YOUR DAYS mean to Habakkuk? The historical Scriptures report the Chaldean invasion that was God's response to Habakkuk's concern for the Godlessness of Israel. The Lord Jesus quotes 2:11 as referring to himself. Paul 3 times quotes 2:4 as applying to the Gospel he is preaching. Habakkuk is therefore concerned with what is happening & about to happen in his day, and, as in his day of trouble showing that the just shall live by his faith. That statement encourages the believers of the coming exile to live by faith, & looks on to Gospel times.

Your obsession with your own invented "end times scenario" robs believers of the Scriptures. Jesus and his Apostles made full use of the prophetic Scriptures, applying them to their hears & readers.

(((Jesus was lifted up so the just could live by faith.)))

4Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

(((The antichrist would come and and gather all nations unto him self.)))

5Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

• Members

What amazes me is how we take historical events and apply them to prophetic events. It happens all the time--as if we squeeze our doctrine in where it doesn't necessarily go.

I agree. This is a major problem, and one reason some have fallen away.

I was born again in 1981 and began reading everything I could get hold of to try and learn more about the Lord and His Word. Among what I was reading was material relating to the book of Revelation and the end times. Over the next few years I read so much that was written in the 1970s, as well as what was being put forth then (early 80s). Looking back on all that it's so clear how the authors were trying to fit what was happing at the time into anything they could find in the Bible they could link it to in order to declare it all a part of prophecy, telling us that means we are at the end of the end times and the end is upon us.

Since then, the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact has dissolved. They once said these were clear signs of prophecy from the Bible, they even named some of the nations among these as those mentioned in Scripture (now they have changed the countries they say some of those names in the Bible means). They said the invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviets related to certain passages in the OT which meant the end was upon us.

Some of the them proclaimed that anything from a burp to an explosion in or near Israel was directly tied to something from the OT pointing to the coming end in Revelation.

After the Soviet Union fell apart and the Warsaw Pact was no more, these prophecy peddlers began changing their stories to try and fit the times. Finally, with the first gulf war under Bush the First, the prophecy peddlers found a new source to pin everything on. Now it's all about how Islam and what Muslims are doing that they see in these OT passages.

Where the Word is clear, I believe it and act accordingly. Where the Word is not so clear, I trust God and try not to make or accept speculations as fact.

• Members

Nonsense - it's not a prophecy, but Habakkuk's response to the prophecy he has been given. Habakkuk has been told of the coming judgment on Judah by the Chaldeans. Though he argues with God, he is told to live by faith - a need we all have - living by faith in adversity as well as being saved by faith in Christ.

Hab. 3 is his prayerful response - he remembers God's mighty works of the past - the chapter is full of allusions to God's mighty works for Israel. He knows whatever happens, God can be trusted, so he rejoices.

So when did the Lord lead the saints from heaven to save Israel from Babylon? It is not history, it is a prophecy about the last days Babylon which will be under the antichrist's control.

8 Was the LORD displeased against the rivers? was thine anger against the rivers?

(Revelation 16:3 2nd vial)
was thy wrath against the sea, that thou didst ride upon thine horses and thy chariots of salvation?
9 Thy bow was made quite naked, according to the oaths of the tribes, even thy word. Selah. Thou didst cleave the earth with rivers.
10 The mountains saw thee, and they trembled: the overflowing of the water passed by: the deep uttered his voice, and lifted up his hands on high.

(Revelation 16:10-11 5th vial is a permanent solar eclipse over Israel which will be the seat of the beast Daniel 11:45)
11The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

(Revelation 16:16 6th vial men to Armageddon for judgment)
15 Thou didst walk through the sea with thine horses, through the heap of great waters.

• Members

So when did the Lord lead the saints from heaven to save Israel from Babylon? It is not history, it is a prophecy about the last days Babylon which will be under the antichrist's control.

I like to use a Bible with a nice wide margin filled with cross references.

Hab. 3 is written in the past tense. Habakkuk is taking David's advice:

Psalm 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.

While prophecy (e.g. Rev. 16) is also written in the past tense, it is because the prophet is recording what he saw. We read Revelation as prophecy, but Habakkuk 3 is remembering and specifying God's great works of the Exodus and entry into the promised land.

Habakkuk's prophecy - the LORD raising up the Chaldeans - is written in the future tense. (Hab. 1 & 2)

Hab. 3:1 A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth.

2 O Lord, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O Lord, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.

3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.

Ex. 13:21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

Num. 10:12 And the children of Israel took their journeys out of the wilderness of Sinai; and the cloud rested in the wilderness of Paran.

13 And they first took their journey according to the commandment of the Lord by the hand of Moses.

34 And the cloud of the Lord was upon them by day, when they went out of the camp.

Deut. 33:1 And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.

2 And he said, The Lord came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them.

4 And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.

5 Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet.

Ex. 9:14 For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that [there is] none like me in all the earth.

15 For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.

6 He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

Ex. 19:18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the Lord descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

Psalm 114:1 When Israel went out of Egypt, the house of Jacob from a people of strange language;

2 Judah was his sanctuary, and Israel his dominion.

3 The sea saw it, and fled: Jordan was driven back.

4 The mountains skipped like rams, and the little hills like lambs.

5 What ailed thee, O thou sea, that thou fleddest? thou Jordan, that thou wast driven back?

6 Ye mountains, that ye skipped like rams; and ye little hills, like lambs?

7 Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob;

8 Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.

7 I saw the tents of Cushan in affliction: and the curtains of the land of Midian did tremble.

Num. 25:16 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

17 Vex the Midianites, and smite them:

18 For they vex you with their wiles, ....

8 Was the Lord displeased against the rivers? was thine anger against the rivers? was thy wrath against the sea, that thou didst ride upon thine horses and thy chariots of salvation?

See Psalm 114.

Psalm 77:9 Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.

10 And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.

11 I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.

12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.

13 Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?

14 Thou art the God that doest wonders: thou hast declared thy strength among the people.

15 Thou hast with thine arm redeemed thy people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.

16 The waters saw thee, O God, the waters saw thee; they were afraid: the depths also were troubled.

9 Thy bow was made quite naked, according to the oaths of the tribes, even thy word. Selah. Thou didst cleave the earth with rivers.

Psalm 77:17 The clouds poured out water: the skies sent out a sound: thine arrows also went abroad.

18 The voice of thy thunder was in the heaven: the lightnings lightened the world: the earth trembled and shook.

19 Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known.

20 Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

10 The mountains saw thee, and they trembled: the overflowing of the water passed by: the deep uttered his voice, and lifted up his hands on high.

Exo. 19,

Exo. 15:Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

2 The Lord is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.

4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.

11 The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

Joshua 10:12 Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel.

12 Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.

13 Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

Exo. 13:21 And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

22 He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.

14 Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.

15 Thou didst walk through the sea with thine horses, through the heap of great waters.

Exo. 14:27 And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the Lord overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.

28 And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.

29 But the children of Israel walked upon dry land in the midst of the sea; and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.

30 Thus the Lord saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore.

16 When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.

17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

18 Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

Lev. 26:41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:

42 Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.

19 The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

Exo. 15:2 The LORD [is] my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he [is] my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Deut. 32:12 So the Lord alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.

13 He made him ride on the high places of the earth, ....

Archived