• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian Action Novels

• Members

I don't need to be concerned about being ambushed

by nudity, sexual references, profanity and the like,

but I do like reading a great novel in one sitting, if I'm

not tired or need to answer the telephone, etc.

But not all in one night.

From Tim LaHaye and Craig Parshall- a trilogy of action!

1): "Edge of Apocalypse"

followed by.....

2); "Thunder of Heaven"

and finally,

3): "Brink of Chaos"

Espionage, treason, corporate corruption, gunfights, car-chases,

Israeli Defense Forces, the Mossad, CIA, FBI, air-to-air combat,

assassins, the Russians, the Chinese, Arabs, Germans, and the

world unaware of the coming Anti-Christ.....

.......need I say more to stay awake?

(Regardless of what you might think of LaHayes' theology shouldn't

be a factor here. These (and hopefully more like it) will counter the

huge number of Christian romance-novels out there :tapping: )

• Administrators

My brother got me the first two books in this series when my Dad died (no link to that,it's just that I haven't seen my brother since).  I waited until I got home to read them - and couldn't put them down!  I don't have the third yet, but really want to read it.

• Members

I've found some real gems being given free (e-books) on Nook or Kindle. "Nobody" was a great one I read recently. Jerry B Jenkins has a decent, if somewhat sappy for a cop series, "Precinct 11" series.

I personally do not so much like the Christian books that have a lot of demonic activity in them, as it makes me uncomfortable because it is too real. Not saying it's bad, it's just uncomfortable for me.

• Moderators

Never got into 'Christian' fiction. Seems like a contradiction to me. If I want "Christian' fiction, I can read the Book of Mormon. lol.

I did use to read fiction-fantsy-type stuff, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony's Xanth books, (full of excellent puns, if you like them), and the likes, but I grew tired of them many years ago.

• Members

Never got into 'Christian' fiction. Seems like a contradiction to me. If I want "Christian' fiction, I can read the Book of Mormon. lol.

I did use to read fiction-fantsy-type stuff, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony's Xanth books, (full of excellent puns, if you like them), and the likes, but I grew tired of them many years ago.

It's very, very rare I read any fiction anymore. I read a great deal when I was yet unsaved, and some after that, but once I got to the point of really determining to live for God and I found there are so many helpful non-fiction Christian books out there, plus learned the importance of spending time in the Word daily, it made reading fiction seem a waste of my time.

I read a Peretti book, This Present Darkness, or something like that. It was entertaining and parts of it gave me things to think and pray about, but it certainly wasn't meaty. While it didn't seem to go to excesses and wild imaginations as some Christian fiction, such as some of the Left Behind and other end times books, it did go some in that direction.

That's one of the main reason I don't care for some Christian fiction, they go beyond Scripture into the realm of fantasy, and often not only do they go beyond Scripture, they invent stuff that's either possibly our actually unscriptural. For instance, where in Scripture do we get any idea at all that anti-Christ will set up his one world kingdom, controlling all things and having all power, yet groups of Christians will unite to fight the anti-Christ as a partisan army? In many of these sort of writings there are also others fighting the anti-Christ, forming their own partisan armies. Where is there even a hint of this in Scripture? Even full blown pre-trib, pre-mil folks say Scripture says everyone will take the mark of the beast except for some Christians who will be unable to buy or sell (not develop complex computer programs and forgeries to thwart the mark) and they will be persecuted and put to death (not forming armies hampering the work of the anti-Christ).

Then there are those Christian romance novels! I've never read one, but from what I've been told and the little bit I did look at, they are little more than the same as worldly romance novels that have been censored and sprinkled with some Christianity.

I was excited, briefly, when our tiny town library put up a shelving unit with a sign that said "Christian books". I eagerly awaited the filling of the shelf only to become instantly disappointed with what I saw. The selves were filled with Christian romance novels and Christian historical fiction (any 'historical fiction' seems to sound rather like a paradox).

In order to head off any misunderstandings, PLEASE note that this post is in no way an attack upon anyone who reads or likes Christian fiction! I'm only stating how I look at it for myself. The reading preferences of others is their own business, so please understand this post is not in any way an attack or slight towards any who like Christian fiction.

• Administrators

The Christian fiction genre actually began with Janette Oke, author of the Love Comes Softly series.  She included the gospel in most of her books, and there were some good biblical lessons taught (I remember one in particular that dealt with wifely submission...it was done with some humor, but also gently and firmly on the part of the hubby).  I would not, however, recommend the books to teen girls because they don't need to be thinking about romance.  Romance, though,  is not the thrust of her books.  General life is, life as a Christian.

The Love Comes Softly series has been made into movies.  I've seen a few of them, and they are good.  Although they do not mention the Lord as much as she does in the books (there is no actual gospel presented in the movies that I have seen). But they are clean.

I said all that to say:  the genre quickly became popular, because Christians do like to read.  And some like fiction.  I love reading - both fiction and nonfiction.  However, fiction has gone down hill with language, innuendo, immorality, etc.  So, having the alternative for Christian fiction is nice.

But.....there are a number of authors who jumped on the Christian fiction gravy train, seeing an untapped market that would make them big $$$.  Now, I'm not averse to someone making money. However, having watched the evolution of the Christian fiction market, it makes me sad.  Authors have crossed over from romance writing to "Christian" writing. There was one author who published a series of 4 books - they had been written for Harlequin.  The copyright came back to her, and she said she was glad that she got the opportunity from the Lord to re-write them for His glory...well, I read them. And was disappointed. All she did was add God here and there - and that not very much.

That is the typical Christian fiction: throw in God here and there, without any real meat.  And then the story line is so much the same: boy meets girl and girl, and has a hard time deciding who to marry - the godly one or the worldly one.  Or it's girl meets boy and boy and the same story plot...

But there are some good authors out there.  And it seems to me that the Christian fiction that is written as suspense is less frivolous.  I did read Peretti, too, John - it made me think, but I kinda started getting the heebee jeebies reading him so I stopped.

One of the things which makes me angry is how both non -Christian books and tv are now pushing the "universe."  Things like "the universe is sending me a message," "thank the universe," etc.  And God is mentioned, too... but only as a cuss word.   :tapping:

• Moderators

The Christian fiction genre actually began with Janette Oke, author of the Love Comes Softly series.  She included the gospel in most of her books, and there were some good biblical lessons taught (I remember one in particular that dealt with wifely submission...it was done with some humor, but also gently and firmly on the part of the hubby).  I would not, however, recommend the books to teen girls because they don't need to be thinking about romance.  Romance, though,  is not the thrust of her books.  General life is, life as a Christian.

The Love Comes Softly series has been made into movies.  I've seen a few of them, and they are good.  Although they do not mention the Lord as much as she does in the books (there is no actual gospel presented in the movies that I have seen). But they are clean.

I said all that to say:  the genre quickly became popular, because Christians do like to read.  And some like fiction.  I love reading - both fiction and nonfiction.  However, fiction has gone down hill with language, innuendo, immorality, etc.  So, having the alternative for Christian fiction is nice.

But.....there are a number of authors who jumped on the Christian fiction gravy train, seeing an untapped market that would make them big $$$.  Now, I'm not averse to someone making money. However, having watched the evolution of the Christian fiction market, it makes me sad.  Authors have crossed over from romance writing to "Christian" writing. There was one author who published a series of 4 books - they had been written for Harlequin.  The copyright came back to her, and she said she was glad that she got the opportunity from the Lord to re-write them for His glory...well, I read them. And was disappointed. All she did was add God here and there - and that not very much.

The 'gravy train'. Yes, I kind of see the whole Christian fiction this as I do CCM-it seems that if there is something popular in the secular world, then Christians just HAVE to have their own version of it! Secular rock music? Great! Christian rock music!  Fiction books popular? Lets make "Christian" fiction books! (even though fiction and Christianity are opposed, I thought).

• Moderators

My wife does not recommend Jeanette Oake's books because too many times the main man is too perfect.

fwiw John I understand about the "historical fiction" paradox statement but as I'm sure you know (though some may not, especially if not avid readers) historical fiction is historically accurate in events and setting but speculative in narration and sub-plot (although the sub-plot is in main focus and the historical plot in background focus).

• Administrators

The 'gravy train'. Yes, I kind of see the whole Christian fiction this as I do CCM-it seems that if there is something popular in the secular world, then Christians just HAVE to have their own version of it! Secular rock music? Great! Christian rock music!  Fiction books popular? Lets make "Christian" fiction books! (even though fiction and Christianity are opposed, I thought).

I wouldn't say that fiction books are necessarily opposed to Christianity.  Did you ever tell your kids a make believe story?  Did they ever use their imagination when they played?  I know my son did - he played Valley Forge with Gen. Washington quite a bit during the winters when he was little.  Fiction books can do the same thing.

We tell practical stories during Sunday School.  A practical story is (in our definition) a story that applies the Bible lesson in a way that the kids can relate to their lives (yes, that is taught with the Bible lesson, but the practical story underlines and repeats the lesson...repetition being the key to learning).  There are times we use a missionary story. There are times we use a story like The Holy War (now THERE's some Christian fiction that is absolutely fantastic!). There are times we use stories that might be based on an actual happening. And there are times we use stories that are fiction - with biblical principles as application (think Aunt Carolyn).

So, sometimes fiction can be good.

OFP - yes, oftentimes the man is too perfect in her books.  That is another reason I don't recommend them to teens - too many that I've known have looked for that perfect man and ended up messed up...I actually don't recommend them to anyone, per se, but if asked would say they are the best of the genre.  I read them and never got the impression that my hubby couldn't measure up (and beyond!) the main men  :flip:  .

I also do like some historical fiction.  Knowing it is fiction going in keeps me from just accepting what is written as historical fact.  But one of the things I like best is that when I do read historical fiction it usually acts as a catalyst to some nonfiction reading.  For instance, I read a ficntionalized book about Marie Antoinnette and found myself searching out nonfiction books about her and the time period.  The same with the Holocaust, etc.  Not that I have to read fiction to get me interested, but sometimes a historical fiction book will catch my interest and send me in a certain direction of reading.

kita - who is the author? Jennifer Barnes?

I actually have 3 books going right now - 1 fiction, 2 nonfiction (not to mention my Bible).

• Moderators

If Phil 4:8 was the only thing in Scripture touching the subject - I would be 100% anti-fiction.

Jesus used "fiction" - parables, fictional (made-up) stories. Used for a purpose of conveying very real truth.

Example of historical fiction that is decidedly Christian - "Twice Freed". The story of Onesimus is historically accurate, the details of conversation and movement are author created.

Archived