• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The "destroyer"

irishman

• Members

Exo 12:23  "For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you."

The "destroyer" here, is said by some (cross references in some Bibles) that this is Abaddon (Hebrew) or Apollyon (Greek).  If so, the angel of death was Satan, allowed by God to have free reign, but limited by the blood. 

Rev 9:11  "And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon."

So, is this a special angel sent by God, or is it the devil being controlled by God.

We know that the "adversary, the devil, as a roaring lion, walking about, seeking whom he may devour"

(1 Peter 5:8)

• Members

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. 

Hebrews 2:14-15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 

Jesus holds the keys of hell and of death, he holds the power and no one can take it away.  Christ when He died on the cross eliminated any claim that Satan had on death.

• Members

I Cor. 10:10-  Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

Who destroyed the disobedient children of Israel in the wilderness?

My question exactly!  Who did destroy the disobedient?  perhaps Satan was allowed to destroy them by God, or was it an angel that was appointed by Him>

Remember in the book of Job Satan did the destroying, but was limited by God.  So is there such a thing as a "death angel"?  Actually I see no valid answer either way so far.

• Members

I believe it is the angel of the Lord. You can find him in Exodus, but in 2 Samuel, 1 chronicles, when King David numbered the people, and  2 chronicles when King Hezekiah and Isaiah prayed to heaven and the Lord sent an angel.

(2Sam 24:15 [KJV])
So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.

(2Sam 24:16 [KJV])
And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

(2Sam 24:17 [KJV])
And David spake unto the LORD when he saw the angel that smote the people, and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father's house.

(1Chr 21:15 [KJV])
And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

(1Chr 21:16 [KJV])
And David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the LORD stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders of Israel, who were clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.

(1Chr 21:17 [KJV])
And David said unto God, Is it not I that commanded the people to be numbered? even I it is that have sinned and done evil indeed; but as for these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, O LORD my God, be on me, and on my father's house; but not on thy people, that they should be plagued.

(1Chr 21:18 [KJV])
Then the angel of the LORD commanded Gad to say to David, that David should go up, and set up an altar unto the LORD in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

(1Chr 21:19 [KJV])
And David went up at the saying of Gad, which he spake in the name of the LORD.

(1Chr 21:20 [KJV])
And Ornan turned back, and saw the angel; and his four sons with him hid themselves. Now Ornan was threshing wheat.

(1Chr 21:21 [KJV])
And as David came to Ornan, Ornan looked and saw David, and went out of the threshingfloor, and bowed himself to David with his face to the ground.

(1Chr 21:22 [KJV])
Then David said to Ornan, Grant me the place of this threshingfloor, that I may build an altar therein unto the LORD: thou shalt grant it me for the full price: that the plague may be stayed from the people.

(1Chr 21:23 [KJV])
And Ornan said unto David, Take it to thee, and let my lord the king do that which is good in his eyes: lo, I give thee the oxen also for burnt offerings, and the threshing instruments for wood, and the wheat for the meat offering; I give it all.

(1Chr 21:24 [KJV])
And king David said to Ornan, Nay; but I will verily buy it for the full price: for I will not take that which is thine for the LORD, nor offer burnt offerings without cost.

(1Chr 21:25 [KJV])
So David gave to Ornan for the place six hundred shekels of gold by weight.

(1Chr 21:26 [KJV])
And David built there an altar unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called upon the LORD; and he answered him from heaven by fire upon the altar of burnt offering.

(1Chr 21:27 [KJV])
And the LORD commanded the angel; and he put up his sword again into the sheath thereof.

(1Chr 21:28 [KJV])
At that time when David saw that the LORD had answered him in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite, then he sacrificed there.

(1Chr 21:29 [KJV])
For the tabernacle of the LORD, which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that season in the high place at Gibeon.

(1Chr 21:30 [KJV])
But David could not go before it to enquire of God: for he was afraid because of the sword of the angel of the LORD.

Archived