• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

1 John 5:8 Picture Thread

2T3:16

• Members

What I see is two lines of reasoning, I could argue the contrast between 1 John 5:7 and 8 We could look at

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

If you think that lower case s is a mistake lets just see how far and past how many christians and bible readers and men of God this particular mistake gets past in a major eternal security verse in the Bible: 1 John 5:8 was a lower case s for a 1526 (Tyndale NT), a 1560 (Geneva), and for KJV's from: 1637 (Cambridge), 1728,1808, 1810 (Oxford, Clarendon) 1815, 1816, 1817, 1820, 1823, 1827, 1831,1834, 1836, 1837, 1840, 1845, 1849,1854, 1860 (New York), 1860 (London Edition), ... and the list goes on until the REVISED VERSION is published and then shortly after changes start to happen (the 1611 had all 3 capitalized, and I found 1 other that had the s capitalized, ... the catholic bibles clearly prefer it, they also like to remove 1 John 5:7 from modern versions), I can give you pictures of almost all of these bibles having a lower case s as well, if you want to see the actual pages. It is well above 90% of the english Bibles I've been able to find. There are even people who accept both arguments (like Gail Riplinger who is an author, although she prefers capital s, you can download her paper and I could tell you on what page to look where she concludes both work). The fact that the vast majority including the Cambridge 1637 correcting printing errors in the 1611 KJV while there were some of the Cambridge translation team still alive ... really shows a vast acceptance of the lower case s in a NON-obscure verse at a time when people read their bible rather than watched TV.

• Members

What I see is two lines of reasoning, I could argue the contrast between 1 John 5:7 and 8 We could look at

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

If you think that lower case s is a mistake lets just see how far and past how many christians and bible readers and men of God this particular mistake gets past in a major eternal security verse in the Bible: 1 John 5:8 was a lower case s for a 1526 (Tyndale NT), a 1560 (Geneva), and for KJV's from: 1637 (Cambridge), 1728,1808, 1810 (Oxford, Clarendon) 1815, 1816, 1817, 1820, 1823, 1827, 1831,1834, 1836, 1837, 1840, 1845, 1849,1854, 1860 (New York), 1860 (London Edition), ... and the list goes on until the REVISED VERSION is published and then shortly after changes start to happen (the 1611 had all 3 capitalized, and I found 1 other that had the s capitalized, ... the catholic bibles clearly prefer it, they also like to remove 1 John 5:7 from modern versions), I can give you pictures of almost all of these bibles having a lower case s as well, if you want to see the actual pages. It is well above 90% of the english Bibles I've been able to find. There are even people who accept both arguments (like Gail Riplinger who is an author, although she prefers capital s, you can download her paper and I could tell you on what page to look where she concludes both work). The fact that the vast majority including the Cambridge 1637 correcting printing errors in the 1611 KJV while there were some of the Cambridge translation team still alive ... really shows a vast acceptance of the lower case s in a NON-obscure verse at a time when people read their bible rather than watched TV.

I am a KJV only. I don't know if you think that the KJV is an "inspired translation" or not. I don't think it is and, yes I do think that the lower case s is a mistake, but not by the translators, but more or less the printer that printed it off. I can find several places where Spirit should be capitalized or where he when it talks about Jesus or God or the Holy Ghost should be capitalized instead of lower case.  We are talking of God not a mere man. So I believe that anything that talks of God whether it is Jesus, the Father, Holy Ghost, God, Jehovah,I AM, I am, He, Him, His and  ect.  should be capitalized. 

Examples are from Jesus conception and few other verses.

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.  19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.  20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost

In this verse specifically.  "the child of the Holy Ghost" should be the Child of the Holy Ghost. The term "that which" either it should have been capitalized or better yet "the Child that is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."  Jesus is God. God is not a "that". "the Child" is talking of Jesus. 

(Eph 1:13 [KJV])
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

(Eph 4:30 [KJV])
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

(1Thess 4:8 [KJV])
He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Paul is talking of part of the Godhead. They printed Holy Spirit with a lower case h. Holy should be capitalized. His in "his holy Spirit" should be capitalized to.  You might think this is trivial. but look up every verse in the Bible on Holy Ghost. He is capitalized every single time. I believe that the Holy Spirit and the Holy Ghost are One and the Same.

• Members

Lest establish something first. You do agree that the Holy Ghost, also known as the Comforter,the Spirit, the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit dwells in each and everyone that is truly born again right?

If this is the case, the Spirit of truth does indeed beareth the witness of Jesus Christ who came by the water, the blood and the Spirit that beareth witness. That when He died he not only shed blood but the water came out as well. When Jesus left, the Father sent the Spirit, that we know is the Holy Ghost or what other name is used. The Spirit does witness on earth because he dwells in us.  If you look at the context of 1 John 5 you will see it all points to the assurance in Jesus Christ that every Christian has because we have overcome the world.  Verse 7 says that  the Father the Word and the Holy Ghost these Three are One which  beareth a record.  What record does these One bear?  That God gave us eternal life and it is in His Son. Verse 8 says there are three that beareth witness in the earth the spirit, the water, the blood and they agree in one. What do these three beareth? The same thing. That God gave us eternal life and it is in His son.  Verse 9 shows a contrast between the witness of men and the witness of God. The witness of God is greater than that of man. Which He hath testified of His Son.  How does that correspond to verse 7?  Verse 9 brings it out. That a the only men who can bear this witness are only those who believe in the Son of God. In doing so they have the witness in themselves. That witness is the Spirit of Truth or what other name is given for Him; like the examples at the beginning of this answer. He dwells in us.  Jesus even said the Spirit of truth will testify of Jesus when He comes. It is clear that the spirit that beareth the witness is that very Spirit. No spirit of man can do this unless he is born of God. Which points back to verse 9, otherwise it would be the witness of men and we know Who has the greater witness. Just as Jesus told Nicodemus. Ye must be born again. You have to be born of the Spirit.  It is clear that this Spirit is the Spirit that beareth the witness. One of the best examples between those who profess they are Christian and those who are born again is in Matthew 7 starting with verse 21.

(Matt 7:21 [KJV])
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

(Matt 7:22 [KJV])
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

(Matt 7:23 [KJV])
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These men have only their witness. We that are born again have the witness of God and we are known of Him. 

Look at the preceding chapter 1 John 4.

(1John 4:12 [KJV])
No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

(1John 4:13 [KJV])
Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

(1John 4:14 [KJV])
And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

(1John 4:15 [KJV])
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

(1John 4:16 [KJV])
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Verse 13 says that God has given of us His Spirit.

I agree Kleptes, (clever name btw)  I John 5:6-9 the key verse that frames the idea presented is vs. 6  The Spirit beareth witness that Jesus came by water and blood.  Ch 4:1-3 teaches that anyone who denies Jesus came in the flesh has the spirit of anti-christ. Back to Ch 5.  vs 7 talks about heavenly witness, vs 8 talks about earthly witness, vs 9 then talks about the witness of God being greater than the witness of men, because he (God) testifies of the Son.  What testimony?  The testimony that Jesus Christ came by water and blood.  Therefore going back to vs 8 spirit is the same spirit in vs.6, the Spirit that beareth witness.  On another note, vs 9 states:" If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of  ----  God------  which -----  he-------  hath testified of ------  his-------  Son.  I find it awful strange that if in vs. 8 "spirit" because it is not capitalized means that it is not the Holy Spirit.  However is vs 9 "he" and "his" pro nouns are not capitalized.  Are we then to assume that the wisdom of the KJV translators are correct in not capitalizing them?

• Members

I agree Kleptes, (clever name btw)  I John 5:6-9 the key verse that frames the idea presented is vs. 6  The Spirit beareth witness that Jesus came by water and blood.  Ch 4:1-3 teaches that anyone who denies Jesus came in the flesh has the spirit of anti-christ. Back to Ch 5.  vs 7 talks about heavenly witness, vs 8 talks about earthly witness, vs 9 then talks about the witness of God being greater than the witness of men, because he (God) testifies of the Son.  What testimony?  The testimony that Jesus Christ came by water and blood.  Therefore going back to vs 8 spirit is the same spirit in vs.6, the Spirit that beareth witness.  On another note, vs 9 states:" If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of  ----  God------  which -----  he-------  hath testified of ------  his-------  Son.  I find it awful strange that if in vs. 8 "spirit" because it is not capitalized means that it is not the Holy Spirit.  However is vs 9 "he" and "his" pro nouns are not capitalized.  Are we then to assume that the wisdom of the KJV translators are correct in not capitalizing them?  Therefore meaning that "he" and "his" is not referring to God?

• Members

Ok, you're type of analysis: "1 John 5:8
It is the proper teaching that the three things listed in this verse reflect the persons in 1 John 5:7, “For
there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these
three are one.” However, it is said by some that the things in verse eight are the same as the persons
in 1 John 5:7: the Father is the blood, “the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own
blood.” (Acts 20:28b); that the Word (or Son) is the water, “Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee,
and was baptized of John in Jordan.” (Mark 1:9b); and the Spirit (the Holy Ghost), they say, is the
“Spirit”, which they quote according to the Oxford way. Only the Oxford Edition uses its marginal
notes to have the reader refer to verse 6 for interpretation on their word “Spirit” capital, which they
are making mean the Spirit of Truth, that is, the Holy Ghost. This line of interpretation is deviant
because it does not take into account the role, nature or working of the Spirit of God in men.
Augustine of Hippo said, “If we wish to inquire about these things, what they signify, not absurdly
does the Trinity suggest Itself, who is the one, only, true, and highest God, Father, Son and Holy
Spirit, concerning whom it could most truly be said, Three are Witnesses, and the Three are One. By
the word spirit we consider God the Father to be signified, concerning the worship of whom the Lord
spoke, when He said, God is a spirit. By the word blood the Son is signified, because the Word was
made flesh. And by the water we understand the Holy Spirit. For when Jesus spoke concerning the
water which He was about to give the thirsty, the evangelist says, This He spake concerning the Spirit
whom those that believed in Him would receive.”1 Thus he recognised that the spirit did not refer
identically to the Holy Ghost of the preceding verse, but to the Father.
The Holy Ghost operates in subjection to the Father in this particular regard, though the Holy
Ghost be co-equal and co-eternal, there is a voluntary submission here, namely, “Howbeit when he,
the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but
whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” (John 16:13). The
“spirit” is by the “Spirit” but is not the Holy Ghost alone. Adam Clarke wrote concerning the spirit,
Hills, pages 210, 211.
that it is “in the word confirmed by miracles ... By the written word, which proceeded from the Holy
Spirit, that Spirit is continually witnessing upon earth, that God hath given unto us eternal life.”
The correct structure of 1 John 5:6–8 here is presented (as isolated from the rest of 1 John). The
numbered order and connection between the persons and things.
1. A. EARTHLY MANIFESTATION INDEPENDENT
a. He (Jesus Christ) — person 1
b. that came by (that, not who, means Word made flesh) — separable things
c. water — thing 1
d. blood — thing 2
B. EARTHLY MANIFESTATION INTERDEPENDENT
a. Jesus Christ — person 1
b. (came) not by water only — things inseparable
c. but by water — thing 1
d. and blood — thing 2
2. C. UNIVERSAL WITNESS TO ALL ASPECTS SEPARATELY
a. it is the Spirit that bares witness (that, not who, means Spirit is title and attribute) — person 2
D. UNIVERSAL TRUTH OF WHOLE INSEPARABLE
a. the Spirit is truth (Spirit is the essence of all the nature of God) — person 2
3. E. HEAVENLY RECORD
a. the three that bare record in heaven — separable
b. Father — person 3
c. Word — person 1
d. Holy Ghost — person 2
e. three are one — inseparable
F. EARTHLY WITNESS
a. the three that bare witness in earth — separable
b. the spirit — thing 3
c. the water — thing 1
d. the blood — thing 2
e. three agree in one — inseparable
God the Father, denoted as person 3, is only mentioned once, and the spirit, denoted as thing 3, is only
mentioned once. Thus, the proper interpretation is that the Father and the spirit are related: “shall
we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?” (Hebrews 12:9b). “But the
hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth:
for the Father seeketh such to worship him.” (John 4:23). “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our
spirit, that we are the children of God [i.e. the Father]” (Romans 8:16).
The Word connects to the water: “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be
born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5). “That he
might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word” (Ephesians 5:26).
The Holy Ghost connects to the blood: “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through
the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to
serve the living God?” (Hebrews 9:14). “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock,
over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath
purchased with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28)"

• Members

By my previous post you see there is a rather good argument for the lower case s. But for me, I still feel like there are good arguments on both sides I think Matthew Henrys commentary bears this out somewhat and Gail Riplinger was stuck with this though she preferred the capital S (I can post the quotes next if you wish). The deciding factor is (1) Where the lower case s seems to have shown up (which editions) and (2) That it seemed to dominate for hundreds of years ... through many godly, well versed, generations.

Archived