• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Could Not Do Without Thee

No Nicolaitans

• Members

Frances Havergal wrote many wonderful hymns. However, modern 'artists' like Craig Curry ruin them. If you visit Craig Curry's website then you will discover that his music is anything but godly.

• Members

Frances Havergal wrote many wonderful hymns. However, modern 'artists' like Craig Curry ruin them. If you visit Craig Curry's website then you will discover that his music is anything but godly.

I was reading about Ms. Havergal and thought I'd try to find one of her hymns on Youtube.  I'm not familiar with Craig Curry, and I thought that someone had just performed her hymn with an orchestra.  Is the music on the video not her original music? It didn't sound CCMish at all (to me); however, if a Moderator feels the video should be removed, I understand.

• Members

I was reading about Ms. Havergal and thought I'd try to find one of her hymns on Youtube.  I'm not familiar with Craig Curry, and I thought that someone had just performed her hymn with an orchestra.  Is the music on the video not her original music? It didn't sound CCMish at all (to me); however, if a Moderator feels the video should be removed, I understand.

The video is not the original music. Craig Curry is the author of the music. If you want to hear the original music then please visit this web page: http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/i/c/o/icouldnt.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

WOW!

After listening to the link Br. Smith provided, the difference between the old HYMN and the CCM arrangement is so polar opposite, I could hardly believe it!

I had heard the arrangement from the video as performed by the Marshall family many years ago, and really enjoyed it, but never felt comfortable enough with it to actually sing it myself at church, or have my family sing it.  Now I know why....it is emotionally manipulative, whereas the original hymn arrangement is a straight-forward song that could be (and should be) sung congregationally. 

I wish I could find the sheet music for both arrangements....

In Christ,

• Moderators

I don't know about emotionally manipulative, but... you can probably find the music for the first arrangement through the Pettit Evangelistic Team. Brosmith's link has a link to a PDF music sheet on the same page.

• 1 month later...

Archived