• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Local Church Was Paul Baptized Into?

1611mac

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Here's some thoughts that have come into my mind.... We know from Scripture that things are only going to get worse. More and more "falling away" and more and more apostasy. Thus, fewer and fewer "true" local churches that stick to the word without compromise. So.... where is the Lord going to be working? There are so many FEW churches today that are sticking to the truth and so FEW that practice separation, discipline, etc, etc, is it possible that God will work more and more through individuals as we get closer to His coming?

Makes me think of the 144 Jewish witnesses of the tribulation...

• Moderators

Makes me think of the 144 Jewish witnesses of the tribulation...

144...thousand?

Oh, wait. that's right-a lot of people think thousand doesn't mean thousand so we can take that part or leave it, right?

:boxing:  :bleh:

Better clarify that I'm joking, or I may open a can of worms I don't intend to.

• Members

144...thousand?

Oh, wait. that's right-a lot of people think thousand doesn't mean thousand so we can take that part or leave it, right?

Sincere question here. What about the 70 weeks that many say actually means 69 weeks plus an undetermined number of weeks before we finally reach a week that will be the one we call the 70th week?

This seems similar to the thousand years "literal or figurative" issue.

• Moderators

144...thousand?

Oh yeah... oops... that's what I get for posting after midnight. :frog:

• Moderators

Sincere question here. What about the 70 weeks that many say actually means 69 weeks plus an undetermined number of weeks before we finally reach a week that will be the one we call the 70th week?

This seems similar to the thousand years "literal or figurative" issue.

Honestly, joke aside, I was referring to the millennial reign, which in one chapter, six times says it will be a thousand years. seems like that many times in one short space might actually mean what it says. We know some terms have a figurative sense, like what you mention, or the cattle on a thousand hills. I just mean that repeating the number so many times so specifically should pretty-well seal the deal. "In the mouth of two or three witnesses,..."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Brider (and some others) would say the "one body" referred to a local church"  The Universalist would say it's the "universal church."  That's the issue. Each claims to hold the "truth."  It somewhat akin the "Arminian" vs "Calvinism" - I'm not a Calvinist but I certainly don't fit the Arminian view either.  Thus, I think there is some "wriggle room" between views, including this one between "strict" local church vs. "universal church" views.  Hope some of these comments make sense.

The brider or landmarker would say local, the universalists would say (lol) universal, but the Bible believer would say 1st there is no water in the text, so it´s off topic and 2nd there is no church (local or universal) in the text, it is the Body of Christ, which is The Church, not "a" church.

I personally teach according to the scriptures that there is a local church and there is the Body of Christ. They are not always the same thing. How do we know? The Body of Christ is only and exclusively  made up of born again believers. Period. Whether or not they congregate is irrelevant. The local church however cannot be the Body of Christ as in any local church there is a strong probability of a member being lost, unregenerate and reprobate, hence not a member of the Body. It really is just that simple.

If entrance into the local church is by water baptism under the authority of some approved, apostolic succession silliness, and the local church is the Body of Christ, then you are teaching water baptist puts me into the Body of Christ.

The Landmarker can cavil all he desires to and argue that I am misrepresenting his position, but I am not. That is in fact the ramifications of Brider heresy.

The local church and the Body of Christ are not identical and are not synonymous terms.

The authority to Baptize my converts comes from the scriptures lone, not a church assembly or a denominational authority. Jesus told me to do it. Paul, my apostle said he did so as well, and then he told me to imitate his leadership, his life and his ministry which obviously include baptizing his converts en water.

There is no local church authority, there is only the authority vested in us as followers of Christ.

God bless,

calvary

Archived