• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I'm A Cambridge 1769Er And Will Remain So.

1Timothy115

• Members

I've always used the 1769 KJV published by Cambridge Press. Yes, Cambridge began publishing the 1769 version first put out by Oxford. 

If you don't like my preference for the 1769 or if you want to make some derogatory remark, then please don't reply to this thread.

• Members

What's the point of the post if discussion is limited to agreement only? As to the KJB you use, I'm very pleased if that's the one which works best for you. It's very good to have a Bible in hand that serves well.

General question: Is the particular KJB one uses now a major issue? Do we now have approved KJBs and KJBs which are considered inferior?

Asking the questions because of the recent postings regarding what particular KJB one uses, and in some posts in other threads, at least the inference that certain KJBs are superior to others.

I do know of a few online who hold to one particular KJB and consider all other KJBs to be corrupted.

• Members

What's the point of the post if discussion is limited to agreement only? As to the KJB you use, I'm very pleased if that's the one which works best for you. It's very good to have a Bible in hand that serves well.

General question: Is the particular KJB one uses now a major issue? Do we now have approved KJBs and KJBs which are considered inferior?

Asking the questions because of the recent postings regarding what particular KJB one uses, and in some posts in other threads, at least the inference that certain KJBs are superior to others.

I do know of a few online who hold to one particular KJB and consider all other KJBs to be corrupted.

Exactly my point.

• Members

I've always used the 1769 KJV published by Cambridge Press. Yes, Cambridge began publishing the 1769 version first put out by Oxford. 

If you don't like my preference for the 1769 or if you want to make some derogatory remark, then please don't reply to this thread.

Please don't feel I am being deragotory when I compare the various editions of the KJV. You clearly know that the 1769 is one of the major revisions and hence is important in the historical line of KJV publications. I love the 1909 Scofield because I love Curtis Hudson and he has used the Scofield and other preachers I know  that have used the Scofield, but that get's compared also. I love Carl Hatch and Ron Gearis and the Rock of Ages Ministry, but I'm comparing their edition also. I liked my little collection of KJV reference bibles (Defender's Study Bible, Life Application Study Bible, etc.) that I've put together over the last 20 years but they're getting compared also. BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE DONE. It is time for the children of God to look at publishers that are part of this world system and ask if they have been good custodians of the word of God.

• Members

Why did you choose that one Dave over the others?

• Members

The 1769 KJV is preached from more IFB Pulpits than any other...(1) consistency (2) it is considered by most to be the AV of the day.

Ok, do you or anyone here know of anything negative about the 1873 Cambridge Paragraph KJV?

I have both but like the layout of this gift that my wife got for me, it's a Hendrickson Minister's Bible.  I was going to order from Local Church BIble Publishers but they did not offer the layout that I like, the references in the center.  However, if it's wicked, it goes in the trash!

• Members

Ok, do you or anyone here know of anything negative about the 1873 Cambridge Paragraph KJV?

I have both but like the layout of this gift that my wife got for me, it's a Hendrickson Minister's Bible.  I was going to order from Local Church BIble Publishers but they did not offer the layout that I like, the references in the center.  However, if it's wicked, it goes in the trash!

I think I know of a 12 minute video about the Paragraph, was that from Scrivener or Norton? I'll post the video if you want. Does Hebrews 10:23 say "faith" or "hope" ? Is 1 John 5:7 in italics? Hosea 6:5 Showed, Shown, Shewed, or Hewed in the first part of the verse?

• Members

I think I know of a 12 minute video about the Paragraph, was that from Scrivener or Norton? I'll post the video if you want. Does Hebrews 10:23 say "faith" or "hope" ? Is 1 John 5:7 in italics? Hosea 6:5 Showed, Shown, Shewed, or Hewed in the first part of the verse?

faith

no italics

hewed

Thru The Bible Radio, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1976

• Members

faith

no italics

hewed

Thru The Bible Radio, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1976

B) Well, Thanks for checking but I was checking to see if swathdiver had the Paragraph Bible I thought. I really appreciate everyone who is looking up some of the references on the other thread. One thing proved so far is that some publishers have made errors/changes but it is fairly determinable what belongs or the actual KJV text should be.

I thought local church publishers had a center column option?

• Members

I started watching the link but was interrupted by family several times, will try again tomorrow.  Mine says both faith and hope in that verse, No Italics in 1 John 5:7 and Hewed in Hosea 6:5.  What's all that mean anyways?

I thought local church publishers had a center column option?

There was something about it I didn't like, maybe the wide margins or small print.  That was several years ago too.

• Members

I started watching the link but was interrupted by family several times, will try again tomorrow.  Mine says both faith and hope in that verse, No Italics in 1 John 5:7 and Hewed in Hosea 6:5.  What's all that mean anyways?

There was something about it I didn't like, maybe the wide margins or small print.  That was several years ago too.

Hebrews 10:23 it is "faith" without writing the word "hope" in:

AV 1611

Cambridge 1637

KJV printed by Baskett 1728

KJV Oxford 1769

KJV American Bible Society Printing 1840

KJV Pure Cambridge Edition around 1900

KJV Scofield 1909

KJV Key Word Study Bible 1991 AMG Publishers

KJV Ryrie Study Bible 1994 Moody Bible Institute

KJV The Defenders Study Bible 1995 World Bible Publishers

KJV Tim Lahaye Prophecy Study Bible 2000 AMG Publishers

KJV 2002 Thompson Chan reference

Bearing Precious Seed 2004 KJV Bible

KJV Life Application Study Bible 2004 Tyndale House

KJV published by Nelson before 2006

The word hope is in:

NONE

Thus, I personally would not consider that bible a King James Version as it differs unanimously.

• Members

This is what the 1873 Cambridge says:   "Let us hold fast the profession of our hope without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)" - Hebrews 10:23

Ultimately you will have to decide if the 47 translators of the KJV were "good" enough (their biographies/info can be downloaded free) or was it necessary for the paragraph bible author(s) to correct them? As a christian do you feel a "correction" was due in Hebrews 10:23? I would put that bible in front of me and ask God what He thinks. Ultimately we have to decide for ourselves (1) Assuming God then would he choose to use a book for communication? (2) If the answer is yes then it would be worthwile to determine where that book is, and, (3) once you find that Book treat it the way it deserves to be treated (and (4) how would you feel about people changing the words in that book?)

Archived