• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Am I Responsible For Others Going To Hell?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Donald, on 20 Jul 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

(I will tell you exactly what is wrong with it!)
It is repeated all the time, “if we don’t tell them about Jesus they will go to hell and their blood will be on our hands”!  
Well as we all know, this is a reference to
Eze.3:16, but it is a misinterpretation of it.
(But more about that, if anyone needs it.)

My response; 

Lefton:

I've often wondered about people saying that also 

Eze. 3:18 gave John 3:21,24 as a reference verse also. (John 3:24)"I said therefore unto you that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."  

(John 3:21) "Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come."

• Members

I reposted a quote from Don on forum titled "Thrust of Ministry" and my own.

My pastor preached on this today. Saying if we don't go soulwinning someone could die and go to hell because we should have told them. The verses above post, clearly imply, IMO, that we aren't responsible for others salvation. We have a responsibility to go soulwinning if we are physically able. But to say the blood of someone else's salvation is on my hands is hard to believe. This is America, there's a church on every corner. Even if someone never knocks on their door they have to bear some responsibility! That's why we have a conscience, it's God reminding us we still have to answer to someone other than ourselves.

Doesn't it say somewhere in Bible that people know there is a God just by observing nature itself in action?

It always seems Christians are responsible for everything going wrong in this country. We didn't do enough to stop this or that. We didn't pray enough. We're not praying enough now.

He also said it's our responsibility if we don't pray enough for someone to get saved, they won't get saved.

Sometimes I feel very overburdened by constantly being told I'm not doing enough of it. I do what I'm physically able (and I do have a physical disability), but there's only one of me to spread around too thin. I do what I should and can be doing. I am a good witness for Christ to others.

• Members

Scripture doesn't command door knocking. When the Apostles took the Gospel forth they didn't go door to door, they went where the Spirit led them. On occasion the Spirit would lead them to a particular person but most often they went to a town and engaged in what we would call street preaching or simply sharing the Gospel with those they met.

Paul would typically first go to the Jewish synagogue. If accepted there, word would spread and he would share the Gospel with all who showed up for what would be similar to a spontaneous "revival meeting". When rejected, he would then go forth and spread the Gospel to the population.

In the OT the prophet was told that God would give him a specific message to give and if he didn't give the message God would put the blood of those he failed to speak to upon him. That was a specific message for a specific people. There is no indication that if we don't share the Gospel with the checkout clerk and that clerk would die that night that their blood would be on our hands. What could be possible would be if the Holy Spirit specifically told us to share the Gospel with that clerk and if we chose to ignore that then we would be in disobedience (sin), but not suggestion that their blood would be on our hands.

You raise a very good point with regards to how available the reality of God, the opportunity to find out about God, the availability of the Gospel is here in America. Just as Scripture says the person who lives literally in the middle of nowhere yet should recognize God exists simply based upon what he sees around him; how much more is that true for those who live in America.

When we look at the early church, we see the Apostles and some others who specifically were called out for evangelism. Others who were in Christ didn't go about specifically doing evangelism, they shared the Gospel with (typically through their personal testimony) with their families, friends, those they worked with, as opportunity presented itself to others.

The same is true today. Some are specifically called for evangelistic work, some are set forth to share the Lord with those in their circles of contact.

The whole idea of trying to guilt trip someone into door knocking, street preaching, witnessing at a carnival, and such isn't from Scripture. We are the body of Christ and each part of the body has different functions. Those who are called of the Lord to share the Gospel at the county fair should certainly do so, but they shouldn't try to shame others into joining them and a pastor shouldn't try to make those who don't join them feel guilty.

God has specific works planned for each of us to do, and they are specific to us, they are not cookie cutter plans that everyone should be doing the exact same thing.

When I was in university a friend and I would share the Gospel and it was mostly Catholics the Lord led us to share the Gospel with. Some other Christians were not witnessing to Catholics, but to others. It would have been wrong for us to try and guilt trip them into witnessing to Catholics or for them to try to shame us into witnessing to  those they were. We were called to different tasks and Lord's work went forth with each of us doing our specific part, not trying to fit into one plan fits all.

• Moderators

Well, here's the thing: we ARE commanded to 'go' and 'preach the gospel' and certainly that command is given to ALL believers. However, this is our responsibility-we plant, we water, but the Lord brings the inrease. If we don't give the gospel when we are able, when the opportunity presents itself, we will be held accountable for our disobedience, because to know to do rght, and to not do it, is sin.

Its true-all things are created in a way to show the Lord, or at least, the reality of A god/God-evolutionary science is good at trying to explain it away, or just pretending that the impossibility of one thing becoming another is somehow proof that it DID happen and there is no need for a Creator. HOwever, this does not abrogate our responsibility.

So yes, we have a responsibility to give the gospel, to pray for others, but ultimately, the Lord has lightened each man that comes into the world, and gives each faith to receive, so the ultimate responsibility will be with each man and what he does with Christ.

• Members
Ukulelemike pointed out these verses.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

This command is to every new Testament Church & every member.

And I would like to add a poem to this.

My Work 

If I should fail to do the work, 
Which God designed for me, 
In all the world there's not a soul, 
To do my job, you see. 

Some may accomplish what I could not, 
And gather much fame and wealth, 
But no other creature which God has made, 
Can do my work but myself. 

So, however humble my task may be, 
And how much tempter to quit, 
I'll remember each day as I press along, 
That nobody else can do it. 

Everyone of us has a job, a job that no one else can do, except for us. This job is given to us by God. There's people I can reach that none of you can, there's people you can reach that I can't. In your church, community, there's people you can reach that no one else in your church can. There's people in your community that another member of you church can reach, that you can't.

In the end each person that has rejected Christ will be held accountable for their rejection of Christ.

As for the saved they will not be judged for their sins in order to enter Heaven, yet on that day many will lose rewards.

1Co 3:11 ¶ For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

And of course we will be judge by:.

Joh 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Ro 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Some will enter Heaven by the skin of their teeth, as if by fire, for all the will have is their bare salvation. 

• Members

Paul went many times to the local synagogue to preach the gospel. You won't see many of the brethren doing this. A lot of his preaching was street preaching but it takes a lot of courage to do that and not everyone is cut out for that IMO.

I see nothing wrong with door knocking but I've never seen much results from it. People don't want to be bothered at home. You might get a few people to pray the "Sinner's Prayer" but that's about it. Forget getting them to come to church unless they were already a believer looking for a church.

Handing out tracts is good for those who stumble at words, are timid, or just don't know how to strike up a conversation about Jesus Christ. They are good ice breakers.

I've heard the jail ministry is one of the most fruitful fields but if you do get a chance to preach there whatever you don't make sure you show up and you show up on time. If not you can forget about ever getting in there again. I know this because I worked as a Correctional Officer for a while and those inmates will listen better than many free folks.

Usually, your best bet is to make sure everyone knows where you stand with the Lord and then witness to people as they come to you with questions and arguments. This has worked the best for me. Be careful at work though. You are there to do the job you were hired for not to run around preaching to everyone. Use some sense when to get into a discussion about the things of God.

I heard one evangelist say once that whenever he got a new job he handed out tracts the first day and then that was it. He let everyone know up front where he stood but didn't go any further with it unless they came to him with questions.

• Members

Hello lefton

The scripture in question, is this.....
Ezekiel 3:17-18
V.17 Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.
V.18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

As we can see, this instruction is to warn “the house of Israel”(God’s people), about their backsliding from the LORD.
And every Christian pastor is a watchman; Who the Lord has given the care of the Local Church.  If a pastor is too cowardly to preach the truth to his Church and God’s chastening hand falls upon any of them, than their blood will be on his hands.

But unfortunately many pastors today, misuse and twist this passage, in order to push their congregation into laboring in the flesh in the area of soul winning.
(Their motives may be pure, but the result is unproductive, because it is being accomplished by man’s power alone.)

• Members

NO, its not unproductive to go & try to plan seeds. Its is unproductive to take the Holy Spirits job of convicting. I say the latter for many are taught to not leave until a person makes a decision. That is wrong. And every one I have gone with always says a prayer to our Lord asking for His help in speaking to people & presenting the Gospel to them if an opportunity comes.

One thing for sure the Bible tells us to go to them, & not to set & wait for them to come to us.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

• Members

If a pastor is too cowardly to preach the truth to his Church and God’s chastening hand falls upon any of them, than their blood will be on his hands.

I get your point about pressing the soulwinning as the only teaching or work in the church. And I agree the Scripture quoted has little application to us apart from principle.

However, I am curious of your statement here. Can you go into detail of what you mean by this and some Scripture to prove it? Mainly the last part, thanks

• Members

I get your point about pressing the soulwinning as the only teaching or work in the church. And I agree the Scripture quoted has little application to us apart from principle.

However, I am curious of your statement here. Can you go into detail of what you mean by this and some Scripture to prove it? Mainly the last part, thanks

Hello wretched

You asked.......
“Can you go into detail of what you mean by this and some Scripture to prove it? Mainly the last part, thanks”

Yes I can.
What I have described here, is clearly taught in the Bible, but it must be searched out and the “dots” need to be connected.  There are several doctrines and teachings that are clearly taught in God’s Word, that can not be seen unless a “believer” connects the dots.  And this is one of them.

(1) First dot: Pastors are to teach and warn their Churches about the dangers of sin...
“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2)

This term, “be instant in season, out of season”, is not talking about “always being ready to preach”, but it is talking about being “willing” to preach the message God has given you, even it the people don’t want to hear it.
(Even when God’s message is out of season!)

(2) Second dot: Many pastors will not be willing to do this.  We know this because of the “special reward” promised to those few men, who put God’s will above their own.....
1 Peter 5:2-4
V.2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight [thereof], not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
V.3 Neither as being lords over [God’s] heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
V.4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Unfortunately most pastors(especially today), are more concerned with keeping their job, than obeying the LORD!

(3) Third dot: God’s response to Christians who refuse to repent, is clearly spelled out in Scripture....
1 Corinthians 11:29-31
V.29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
V.30 For this cause many [are] weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
V.31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

God was warning these Christians to repent; First by conviction, then if they didn’t listen they would become weak; If they continued to not repent, they would get sick: And if they continued to refuse to repent, than they would be taken on home to heaven early(“and many sleep”)!

In that case, if the pastor of that Church had not been warning them from the pulpit about their sin, than “their blood would be on his hands”!
------------------------
Now, these are just (3 dots about this subject), but there are many more!
Therefore, when you come to Eze.3:16-ff, and you have been studying the rest of the Bible, the application is clear.

Note: I can think of several things, that can ONLY BE SEEN IN THE BIBLE, by a “believer” that is studying and putting the “dots together”.....
1 Corinthians 2:14-15
V.14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
V.15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

------------------------
For example; We all know about the “7 year tribulation period”!
(But this teaching CAN NOT BE SEEN IN SCRIPTURE, unless a “believer” puts the dots together!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello lefton

The scripture in question, is this.....
Ezekiel 3:17-18
V.17 Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.
V.18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

As we can see, this instruction is to warn “the house of Israel”(God’s people), about their backsliding from the LORD.
And every Christian pastor is a watchman; Who the Lord has given the care of the Local Church.  If a pastor is too cowardly to preach the truth to his Church and God’s chastening hand falls upon any of them, than their blood will be on his hands.

But unfortunately many pastors today, misuse and twist this passage, in order to push their congregation into laboring in the flesh in the area of soul winning.
(Their motives may be pure, but the result is unproductive, because it is being accomplished by man’s power alone.)

I went soulwinning with another woman last week who is much more experienced and definitely way more bold than I am. Anyway, I'm new with the door to door and prefer going with someone who is experienced instead of just sending a child with me to carry the gospel tracts, etc. Her tactic after inviting them to church is, whether they say "yes" or "no", to ask if they know for sure they're going to heaven when they die. If they say "no" she'll ask if they'd like to learn how they can know for sure, I have yet to witness anyone want to continue the conversation. Personally, I think it's very abrupt and intrusive to ask a perfect stranger their spiritual situation on the front steps to someone they've never met before. Also, these people have no idea who we are other than saying when they answer the door we say who we are and what church we're from. Most people have no clue about doctrinal differences from church to church to begin with.

• Members

Hello wretched

You asked.......
“Can you go into detail of what you mean by this and some Scripture to prove it? Mainly the last part, thanks”

Yes I can.
What I have described here, is clearly taught in the Bible, but it must be searched out and the “dots” need to be connected.  There are several doctrines and teachings that are clearly taught in God’s Word, that can not be seen unless a “believer” connects the dots.  And this is one of them.

(1) First dot: Pastors are to teach and warn their Churches about the dangers of sin...
“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” (2 Timothy 4:2)

This term, “be instant in season, out of season”, is not talking about “always being ready to preach”, but it is talking about being “willing” to preach the message God has given you, even it the people don’t want to hear it.
(Even when God’s message is out of season!)

(2) Second dot: Many pastors will not be willing to do this.  We know this because of the “special reward” promised to those few men, who put God’s will above their own.....
1 Peter 5:2-4
V.2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight [thereof], not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
V.3 Neither as being lords over [God’s] heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
V.4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Unfortunately most pastors(especially today), are more concerned with keeping their job, than obeying the LORD!

(3) Third dot: God’s response to Christians who refuse to repent, is clearly spelled out in Scripture....
1 Corinthians 11:29-31
V.29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.
V.30 For this cause many [are] weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
V.31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

God was warning these Christians to repent; First by conviction, then if they didn’t listen they would become weak; If they continued to not repent, they would get sick: And if they continued to refuse to repent, than they would be taken on home to heaven early(“and many sleep”)!

In that case, if the pastor of that Church had not been warning them from the pulpit about their sin, than “their blood would be on his hands”!
------------------------
Now, these are just (3 dots about this subject), but there are many more!
Therefore, when you come to Eze.3:16-ff, and you have been studying the rest of the Bible, the application is clear.

Note: I can think of several things, that can ONLY BE SEEN IN THE BIBLE, by a “believer” that is studying and putting the “dots together”.....
1 Corinthians 2:14-15
V.14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
V.15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

------------------------
For example; We all know about the “7 year tribulation period”!
(But this teaching CAN NOT BE SEEN IN SCRIPTURE, unless a “believer” puts the dots together!)

Just wanted to continue and sometimes my post will disappear randomly when I type for 20 min and click "post". Didn't want that to happen.

Anyway...

If they say they are already saved and have a church home we still invite them for a visit.

If I'm doing the talking I just invite them to church, let them know we can pick them up and tell them if they have any questions to call the pastor's number on the back of the literature and tell them our website is listed there also for more information. People are more responsive to me than her. I think they like not feeling like we've backed them against the wall and want answers right now from them.

I started coming to the church from literature left at my door, and I was home once but was still attending my last church and said so. I kept the literature so when I quit my last church I checked their website, then attended a service.

If they're not interested they're not interested. They're given a copy of the new testament (or most of it). If there's no interest now, as in my case, they may be later and will check us out then. But I think the pushy in your face type of door to door is a turn off to most people.

In my own experience, my life as a living witness to friends has been much more fruitful, I invite people to church, once they get to know me they trust me and then I'm an able to more effectively orally witness for Christ. People on doorstep don't know me from Adam.

• Members

I went soulwinning with another woman last week who is much more experienced and definitely way more bold than I am. Anyway, I'm new with the door to door and prefer going with someone who is experienced instead of just sending a child with me to carry the gospel tracts, etc. Her tactic after inviting them to church is, whether they say "yes" or "no", to ask if they know for sure they're going to heaven when they die. If they say "no" she'll ask if they'd like to learn how they can know for sure, I have yet to witness anyone want to continue the conversation. Personally, I think it's very abrupt and intrusive to ask a perfect stranger their spiritual situation on the front steps to someone they've never met before. Also, these people have no idea who we are other than saying when they answer the door we say who we are and what church we're from. Most people have no clue about doctrinal differences from church to church to begin with.

Hello lefton

You said.......
“I went soulwinning with another woman last week who is much more experienced and definitely way more bold than I am. Anyway, I'm new with the door to door and prefer going with someone who is experienced instead of just sending a child with me to carry the gospel tracts, etc. Her tactic after inviting them to church is, whether they say "yes" or "no", to ask if they know for sure they're going to heaven when they die. If they say "no" she'll ask if they'd like to learn how they can know for sure, I have yet to witness anyone want to continue the conversation. Personally, I think it's very abrupt and intrusive to ask a perfect stranger their spiritual situation on the front steps to someone they've never met before. Also, these people have no idea who we are other than saying when they answer the door we say who we are and what church we're from. Most people have no clue about doctrinal differences from church to church to begin with.”

Nice to see you out knocking on doors; And although I do have an opinion about the way it should be done, I am very careful not to bad-mouth it; Just because things may not be done exactly the way I would do them.

But, your friends method of getting to the heart of the issue(question), when it comes to people’s eternity, seems “doctrinally sound” to me.  Yes it could seem, “abrupt and intrusive”, but when you realize that people are dying and going to hell, a little intrusiveness may be called for. My only qualm with it, is are you being led by the Spirit of God, when you do it.

Although soul winning like this, is perfectly legal and doctrinally sound, that doesn’t always mean that it should be done this way every time.  I try to teach people to be more sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading, in the area of soul winning; Therefore if the Lord tells you to be abrupt and intrusive, than go for it, but if He isn’t than we should be more laid back.

At this point, I started to type the following words.....
“The bottom line is, any kind of soul winning is always good.....”
But I felt like that would be a mistake.

In “soul winning”, we are representing the Lord; Therefore it is important that we be respectful and kind and courteous, while telling people that they are going to go to hell, if they don’t get saved.  No, I don’t tell everyone that I witness to, that they are going to go to hell; but I have told some people that, as I was following the Lord’s leadership.

The true bottom line in all of this is; You can’t ever go wrong, if you are following the Lord’s instructions: Therefore, your top priority should be to learn to follow His leading more closely.

Have a wonderful day.

I know not everyone feels comfortable going door to door. I certainly didn't when I began. As the days and years pass, I've gained confidence and a greater compassion for the lost. It is wonderful to hear of others who are obeying Christ and stepping out by faith to...

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

• Members

I absolutely agree that we need to follow the leading of the Spirit. This takes prayer, patience and proper perspective.

We also are each given different gifts and abilities. We should use our particular "style" (for lack of a better term at the moment) in accord with the leading of the Spirit. There is no "one size fits all" way to witness, and we should not try to copy another's style unless the Spirit leads us to do so. I've also noticed over the years that often the best pairs that go forth soul winning are made up of ones with differing styles. When these pairs are in tune with the Spirit, they often know which one should be the main speaker, either right away or after a bit of conversation, and adjust themselves accordingly. These also tend to be truly interested in the lost, and not in themselves being the one to lead them to Christ or wanting to be sure they get the most credit or anything like that.

In my own experience I've noticed that many folks today are far less welcoming to a knock at their door than they were in the past. For most, hospitality is a thing of the past, and for many they have no understanding of what that even means. While it used to be common for folks to go another's home for a visit, or to stop by a neighbors, or to invite some over for a meal, that's far less common today and especially so outside ones close circle of a limited number of friends and family.

I've found around this area there are a few places which are still somewhat open to door knocking, but I've found many more that door knockers (no matter who they are) are not welcome, appreciated or tolerated. In those areas it does more harm than good to knock on doors.

My "best results" have come from speaking with folks outside in a more relaxed setting. That and speaking with those I work with, come into contact with through work and other things. Speaking with folks waiting for a bus, feeding geese at the park, hanging out in various places.

I also like to use a business sized card that has our churches name on it, all the information and contact stuff. It's easy for just about anyone to slip into their pocket, there's not an abundance to read, and they are easy to keep.

Most important is following the leading of the Holy Spirit as to where, when and how we go about soul winning.

Archived