• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Miss Daisy

Anyone Interested In Ifb Book Trading/ Lending/ Borrowing?

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in a book swap? Trading or borrowing with other members who have IFB books. Since the local library doesn't have a section for IFB books and some I'd like to preview before purchasing and some I'd like to just read and be done with it. Books are so expensive on a limited income even sale one's. I only have a few books since becoming IFB and would like to read more on Baptist history.

Since I'm somewhat new to IFB I'm unfamiliar with authors in this area also for finding using books on Ebay.

I've noticed that there's an unfortunate lack of "IFB" authors, though depending on the subject matter, you can still find books consistent with IFB positions.  I think I only have 2-3 books in my library (which is largely academic in nature) whose authors profess themselves to be IFB.

i am an extensive and avid reader and have found that it is beneficial to read many types of books.  i enjoy reading on my ipad and have an email subscription to Spirit Filled Kindle (you can simply like their facebook page, much easier).  it is important to understand when reading that the opinion of the author must be in subjection to the Word of God in your mind.  i am only 33, but have collected over 300 hard copy books and have at least that many on my kindle app.  if you come across something that you want to read or a topic that you would like to read on, just shoot me an email!  i dont mind sharing what the Lord has blessed me with.

lefton, have you ever heard of Starr publications?  Check them out. http://starr-ministries.com/main_publications.html

The books are inexpensive, and are all IFB and biblical.  And both Bor. and Mrs. Starr are excellent writers (as is William Hardecker, their son-in-law).

Have you ever requested your library to purchase books?  The library where I work will purchase just about any book requested, but not all libraries can or will do that.  Maybe you could find a few books you want to preview and see if they will order them?  They don't need to have an IFB section to do so (no libraries that I know of do have one) - they would simply go into the religious section, which is the 200s.

I would be interested in a swap, but most of my books are packed up.  :(

If you know what books you're looking for, http://www.bookdepository.com/ has free shipping.  I order from them quite a bit (which is to say that I actually do order from them, since shipping from the States is generally prohibitive).  Andrew Murray, Paul Chappell, David Cloud (his aren't published generally, but he has a lot of free ebooks on his site), John R. Rice, E.M. Bounds, R.B.Oullette, David Sorenson are some authors you could look for. You could take a look at the Sword of the Lord bookstore online and get some authors/titles to research cheaper sources for. :wink  David Cloud has a History of the Churches that is interesting, and if you like Baptist History (although I don't know as it's IFB), you could look for America in Crimson Red. Incredibly interesting book, there.

A book swap could be interesting, but for the cost of postage up here, you could buy the book! Sorry, lefton...

If you know what books you're looking for, http://www.bookdepository.com/ has free shipping.  I order from them quite a bit (which is to say that I actually do order from them, since shipping from the States is generally prohibitive).  Andrew Murray, Paul Chappell, David Cloud (his aren't published generally, but he has a lot of free ebooks on his site),(Just wanted to insert here that his books are available in print) John R. Rice, E.M. Bounds, R.B.Oullette, David Sorenson are some authors you could look for. You could take a look at the Sword of the Lord bookstore online and get some authors/titles to research cheaper sources for. :wink  David Cloud has a History of the Churches that is interesting, and if you like Baptist History (although I don't know as it's IFB) (The author is indeed IFB), you could look for America in Crimson Red. Incredibly interesting book, there.

A book swap could be interesting, but for the cost of postage up here, you could buy the book! Sorry, lefton...

Just wanted to insert a clarification.  "America in Crimson Red: The Baptist History of America" is authored by James Beller.  And, yes, quite an interesting read.  I met the author at a conference several years back I attended with my Pastor.

Thanks for the replies I will check out some of the places listed. I've read all David Cloud's ebooks.

We had James Beller at our Summer Revival last summer and he really piqued my interest in Baptist History. I did buy and read America in Crimson Red but it's one I'll have to read many times to really remember it.

I've found some John R. Rice and Oullette (?) books at Goodwill. But they're question and answer type books.

I want to avoid any authors that have a Calvinistic leaning. Any suggestions in that area would be very helpful!

Edited by lefton

Thanks for the replies I will check out some of the places listed. I've read all David Cloud's ebooks.

We had James Beller at our Summer Revival last summer and he really piqued my interest in Baptist History. I did buy and read America in Crimson Red but it's one I'll have to read many times to really remember it.

I've found some John R. Rice and Oullette (?) books at Goodwill. But they're question and answer type books.

I want to avoid any authors that have a Calvinistic leaning. Any suggestions in that area would be very helpful!

None of the authors Salyan mentioned are lean to Calvanism, nor do the Starr's.

Here are some books:

http://www.baptist-books.com/PLST.html  You would have to read the description of each, because there are many different authors.  But there's a lot in there about Baptist doctrine & history, American history, Christian living (I particularly like Changed Into His Image...it's a great study, with the workbook, for a family to do), Creation, and so much more.

Oh, yes - Jim Berg (Changed into His Image) has some excellent personal study resources. My friends & I are working through 'Quieting a Noisy Soul' right now!  We suspect he may have Calvinist leanings (BJU affiliation), but it doesn't seem to come across too much in his works.