• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did You Ever Preach On The Subject Tattoos

The Glory Land

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. 

If God wanted us to have tattoos, He would have given them to us.  Actually, we do have His tattoo.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

As to man marking the flesh, God said in the Mosaic Law that it was not to be done.  While we are not bound to the Mosaic Law, we can see that God did not want it to be done under the Law.  Sin is the transgression of the Law, according to John's epistle.  We can look and see that for the ancient Israelites, God saw tattooing a sinful act.  Therefore, we should have the mindset that, although we are not under the Law, we should want to please God in all that we do.

• Members

I agree with you about tattoos, but even of much greater weight our opinions match with the Word of God who says:

Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 

1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 

I represent Christ in my body and am not to conform to this world nor appear to agree or join in with practices that are worldly or evil in nature.  

Tattooing is all about self and self-promotion, not Creator Christ.

• Members

Those that had them done before they were born again are clean, and don't need to be ashamed.

Thank you for this reminder. I have three tattoos. All in places that are covered in modest clothing, but still. I'm always worried the one on my back will peek through if my shirt gets caught while sitting and tugs a little too much in the back. I will say there may be some exceptions, though. For example, my husband got a pentagram tattooed on his inner wrist when we were dating. It's not in a spot he can conceal during the warmer months when long sleeves would be unbearable, so he plans on getting it covered up with solid black ink. Yeah, it will look funny, but he is so ashamed of that pentagram. Of course, he feels poorly about getting inked again, but we looked into laser removal and it's far too expensive for us to afford :(

• Moderators

Thank you for this reminder. I have three tattoos. All in places that are covered in modest clothing, but still. I'm always worried the one on my back will peek through if my shirt gets caught while sitting and tugs a little too much in the back. I will say there may be some exceptions, though. For example, my husband got a pentagram tattooed on his inner wrist when we were dating. It's not in a spot he can conceal during the warmer months when long sleeves would be unbearable, so he plans on getting it covered up with solid black ink. Yeah, it will look funny, but he is so ashamed of that pentagram. Of course, he feels poorly about getting inked again, but we looked into laser removal and it's far too expensive for us to afford :(

Everyone who was "out in the world" before salvation has reminders of where they came from and the marvelous grace of God.

Some are evident to all they come in contact with, but all are seen by the one bearing them.

I understand his desire to eradicate that particular one and this is one area where he fits "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." (and yes, I know the direct context of that verse).

He won't be able to please everyone in that decision.

• Members

I try not to judge.....many had tattoos before salvation, and many more probably got Christian style tattoos while young in the faith and didn't know better. I think it's something that could occasionally be mentioned in a message, but should not be a hobby horse by any means.

• Moderators

I try not to judge.....many had tattoos before salvation, and many more probably got Christian style tattoos while young in the faith and didn't know better. I think it's something that could occasionally be mentioned in a message, but should not be a hobby horse by any means.

Yup-that's me! Got a little one on my upper left arm. I keep it as a reminder of what I was, and what I can be again if I slip.

• Members

I'd wear a wristband or cover it up another way before I'd get more ink.

• Members

I believe I would wear a long sleeve shirt all the time.

We have a local that attends the coC, he has them everywhere I suppose. He wears those muscle shirts & all you can see is tattoos on all exposed skin. Them about six months or so back he started piercing. UGH, he went from bad to worse.

He is married to one of my classmates & he talked her into tattoos too. Would not be surprised if she has started the other too.

And sometime when you see him from the front you can tell he has piecing under his shirt, you can see outline!

Archived