• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

The Glory Land

Electronic Devices In The Church Tablets, Smart Phones, Projectors, And More

They can be good to keep in touch (not in church services though).

For instance, this morning I was texting my wife, having a great conversation. A really nice chat - we get free text so we text a lot - then we got out of bed and had a nice breakfast. Together. But we didn't talk through breakfast - we have a rule - no phones at the table. ;)
(That's a joke by the way.)

SFIC, I was not referring to you, and I have noted you as an extreme exception....my comments are a broad generalization, aimed mainly at the younger generation that is sadly lacking in areas of respect, dignity, and honorable behavior. 

Sadly, you are right that the younger generation is terribly lacking in "respect, dignity, and honourablr behavior." Add to that no deep rooted love for the things of God. The world offers them too much.

James 4:4 (KJV) 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Sadly, you are right that the younger generation is terribly lacking in "respect, dignity, and honourablr behavior." Add to that no deep rooted love for the things of God. The world offers them too much.

James 4:4 (KJV) 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

When it comes to Christian children, or at least the children of Christian parents, their behavior points to their parents more than to the world.

My children say "yes, sir" and hold doors open for ladies (and others when appropriate), while so many other children do not. The reason is due to parental training, for better or worse.

When parents see their children checking their iphone or ipad or whatever those things are, for messages, or texting on them in church and don't take the electronic contraption away from them with a rebuke, they are allowing such and training their children to continue.

Thankfully our pastors have done a good job of addressing cell phone problems and such early on and give appropriate reminders when necessary.

It's really a sad shame that those in church calling themselves Christians, especially the adults (and even the older youth) need to be told to turn off their cell phones or put them on vibrate while in church; to not answer them in church, to not check them, text on them, or use electronic gadgets to play games and whatnot.

I have a paper Bible that is starting to fall apart. Small parts are falling out. The binding has wore out. Sadly I had no idea the Bible was on them things. I thought the teenagers was playing on their phones, I wonder if they are reading the Bible.

MC, there are many Bible programs for the tablets. And there may be some teens that are using them appropriately when in the sanctuary. But, chances are, if they have internet connection, the majority will be tempted to surf or game with them.

I do surf and game with mine... but never in the sanctuary. Strictly for Bible reading and note taking at that time.

The same thing is happening to my Bible also, but I've got verses underlined and notes and dates that special verses are written next to.  I think when it's time, I will get my Bible rebound instead of just new Bible to keep all my special items available and so much highlighting! 

There was a discussion about this on Fox News the other day. They said every smart phone is automatically monitored and sometimes accessed by the government. After talking about the many forms of data they collect, as well as using peoples smart phones as direct spyware (apparently they can hack the camera function so they can see what you are seeing and they can access whatever sound/voices you hear); they discussed privacy vs security.

It's a shame, but most of the so-called conservatives were advocating for virtually unlimited spying upon Americans in the name of "security" and fighting the "war on terror".

They pointed out that absolutely nothing done using a smart phone is secure and not being monitored in some way, with information being stored around the country taken from American's smart phones under the guise of "security" and "potential future use".

Yet even when they acknowledge these things, they look right into the camera and declare that no American's privacy is being violated!!!

Of course no one's privacy is being "violated", it is being "destroyed" and those are not like terms.  For once MSM actually wasn't lying.

violate

[vahy-uh-leyt] Spell Syllables
verb (used with OBject)violated, violating.
to break, infringe, or transgress (a law, rule, agreement, promise,instructions, etc.).
to break in upon or disturb rudely; interfere thoughtlessly with:
to violate his privacy.

destroy

[dih-stroiSpell Syllables
verb (used with OBject)
to reduce (an OBject) to useless fragments, a useless form, or remains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving; injure beyond repairor renewal; demolish; ruin; annihilate.

I would say they are violating it on their way to the total destruction of it. Unfortunately, "destruction" already applies to many areas of privacy that have indeed already been destroyed. The little that is left is marked for destruction.

I can't say a word on this topic...I am the sound, video, and digital recording/editing person in my church, so I spend every service surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of high tech equipment and computers.  I still have my 30 year old bible (re-bound and re-surfaced multiple times) with me in the booth, but I also have a boolean search engine for the KJV up on my monitor all the time.

People keep telling me how much I would love a Kindle or something similar. Perhaps when their better versions drop in price one of these years I might move into the 21st century and get one.

Tech has it's place and can be useful. For those who rightly use them, that's fine by me. From what I hear they are great for some people with certain vision prOBlems and that's a real blessing.

I read a lot of little things online but it's difficult for me to read longer things like books or chapters. My eyes don't like it.

My pastor reads a lot, besides just for sermon preparation, and he does almost all his reading on a Kindle. I think he has one of those Kindle Fire HD's. Our Associate Pastor also does most of his reading from a Kindle. He's even forgotten to bring his Bible to Bible study before since he carries his Kindle with him everywhere and that's what he reads from. He always goes back to his office and gets his book Bible for the study as he believes it's important to conduct the Bible study using the print Bible.

Both our pastors always use print Bibles for preaching. Some preachers now use an electronic Bible while preaching, while some don't use any form of Bible as they preach. One church we visited some years ago my son and I were the only ones carrying a Bible. Then after way too much music the preacher finally came to the pulpit and he wasn't carrying a Bible either! Only some papers in his hand. Apparently he had a sermon outline and the Bible verses he wanted to use in the version he wanted for each verse written on the papers. As he would preach the verse he used would pop up on one of the three screens they had. In that one 30 minute sermon he used 6 or more different versions. No wonder nOBody bothered to carry a Bible; not even the pastor.

We didn't go back to that church.