• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Electronic Devices In The Church Tablets, Smart Phones, Projectors, And More

The Glory Land

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The original scriptures were written on parchments or sheepskin by hand and the ten commandments were engraved in stone. But bibles today are printed with automated machines, and much of that uses robotics.The pens we write with are made by robotic machines as well. Todays churches have padded pews with pew ends cut on CNC (computer controlled) machines, electric lights and air conditioning produced by high tech generators and nuclear reactors.  The church's sound system is composed of sophisticated electronics. Even the pianos we have are high tech devices which would not have been in early churches and there were no prescription glasses or air-conditioned automobiles when Paul was writing his epistles and traveling between churches in the first century. What's wrong with more technology? :)

• Members

The original scriptures were written on parchments or sheepskin by hand and the ten commandments were engraved in stone. But bibles today are printed with automated machines, and much of that uses robotics.The pens we write with are made by robotic machines as well. Todays churches have padded pews with pew ends cut on CNC (computer controlled) machines, electric lights and air conditioning produced by high tech generators and nuclear reactors.  The church's sound system is composed of sophisticated electronics. Even the pianos we have are high tech devices which would not have been in early churches and there were no prescription glasses or air-conditioned automobiles when Paul was writing his epistles and traveling between churches in the first century. What's wrong with more technology? :)

Myself, I have nothing against technology. It's the particular technology some folks are using. Such as the youth "secretly" checking their email, texts, facebook and such. Then the issue I mentioned in another post of the electronic devices being so small those using them seem to constantly be poking the thing or swishing their fingers across them to change pages every couple of seconds.

If folks want to use them in church, that's fine, but it would be nice if they were not used for play and if some folks could figure out how to change screens and pages without all the flamboyant moves that are so distracting.

• Members

The technology Heartstrings described are all used in a "behind the scenes" way to make our worship services more comfortable for EVERYONE, and there is no dispute TODAY about the pews, piano, carpet, etc. etc. etc. 

The problem with the tablets and iphones, etc. is that it is not only a distraction to the user, but it is also a distraction to those around them who are using their real Bibles.  In places like ours, we cannot control the wifi capabilities, because we rent a slot in a small shopping mall.  So then the people who are using their e-device do in fact have email, facebook, and other capabilities, and have been known to use them during the preaching services.  (They didn't last long, and ended up leaving our church....they were looking for handouts, not spiritual guidance or growth.) 

In my view, our society is becoming more and more selfish in their lifestyles, and don't realize how rude they have become to their neighbors. 

We took an evangelist and his wife out for dinner some time back, and the entire time they were texting other people.  It was not only a distraction to the conversation, but it was also rude....I didn't have him back for another meeting.  I figure he can't minister to our people if he can't even be considerate enough to hold a decent conversation with the pastor. 

During big family get togethers, people are so busy texting their friends, that they ignore the very family they are with... RUDE AND SELFISH. 

And so it is with this electronic garbage in our churches.  It is disrespectful to other church members, but also I think to the Lord.  I hold this view because the attention is not on the MESSAGE God has given to them for that day, but on the appliance, and all of their "helpful" apps, and scrolling, and etc. etc. etc.  They are not watching the preacher, or listening actively.  They are too busy playing with their toys. 

As I said earlier, this selfish obsession with having immediate "answers" or immediate e-notes cheapens the study and depth of self-discipline and prayerful study.  It is now a mechanical action of e-notes with no prayer, meditation, or the actual work of looking something up in a book and really getting a concrete grasp of the idea involved. 

It is all self-gratification.

Now, I appreciate the technology we have, and I am not saying there is no place for it at all, but beloved, is nothing sacred anymore???  Much of my study is done by hand - I can't stand reading off the computer.  I use the computer to write my sermons, and I am thankful for bible programs that allow me to "cut and paste" passages of Scripture into my sermons - it saves a lot of typing...but I see no reason to abandon the printed page in favor of an ipad (handicap exceptions noted.)  Why?  What do I actually gain from going to an Ipad???  Nothing.  In fact, I become more dependent upon an electronic device than is necessary.

And where will we be when we have NO BOOKS, and everything is digital, and then the Gov't removes some digital books because they are "banned?" 

Our local librarian was all happy to tell us that eventually there would be no physical books or physical libraries because it would all be digital.  Her face quickly changed when we told her that then the government would have perfect liberty to control everything we thought, and that our society would become largely illiterate. 

I say that we had better hold on to our physical libraries, and not be too quick to jump on the digital bandwagon.  It is too easy for the "higher powers" to control. 

Sorry for the rant, but I just think that Christians get sucked into all of this modern technology without thinking about where it is leading us, and the downside to it.  The downside is that nobody knows how to do anything anymore because they are dependent upon the technology to do it for them.  Even in middle management, the managers no longer have power to make decisions, because some "smart person" who went to school to learn how to work a computer program, has developed some stupid mathematical formula that dictates how a manager 500 miles away should run their store or operation.  The local managers can't think for themselves anymore - they are dictated to by a computer.  And the list goes on and on....our society is not getting smarter, but dumber, because of all this "smart" technology.

And where is this actually leading us??? Right into the arms of the coming one-world government led by ole' 666 himself.....

ME?  I want as little to do with that as possible.....so I try to keep things as simple as possible....We are to be reliant upon the word of God and the Holy Spirit, not some computer or electronic device.

• Members

I am one of those people that is not distracted by the device during services. And i have enough notes from the pastors sermons to prove that i pay attention to the messages.

Not all use their devices for email or playing games. As for the constant typing on it, i can guarantee my typing is much quieter than a lot of page flipping using the hardcovers.

• Members

They can be good to keep in touch (not in church services though).

For instance, this morning I was texting my wife, having a great conversation. A really nice chat - we get free text so we text a lot - then we got out of bed and had a nice breakfast. Together. But we didn't talk through breakfast - we have a rule - no phones at the table. ;)
(That's a joke by the way.)

• Members

Sadly, you are right that the younger generation is terribly lacking in "respect, dignity, and honourablr behavior." Add to that no deep rooted love for the things of God. The world offers them too much.

James 4:4 (KJV) 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

• Members

Sadly, you are right that the younger generation is terribly lacking in "respect, dignity, and honourablr behavior." Add to that no deep rooted love for the things of God. The world offers them too much.

James 4:4 (KJV) 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

When it comes to Christian children, or at least the children of Christian parents, their behavior points to their parents more than to the world.

My children say "yes, sir" and hold doors open for ladies (and others when appropriate), while so many other children do not. The reason is due to parental training, for better or worse.

When parents see their children checking their iphone or ipad or whatever those things are, for messages, or texting on them in church and don't take the electronic contraption away from them with a rebuke, they are allowing such and training their children to continue.

Thankfully our pastors have done a good job of addressing cell phone problems and such early on and give appropriate reminders when necessary.

It's really a sad shame that those in church calling themselves Christians, especially the adults (and even the older youth) need to be told to turn off their cell phones or put them on vibrate while in church; to not answer them in church, to not check them, text on them, or use electronic gadgets to play games and whatnot.

• Members

MC, there are many Bible programs for the tablets. And there may be some teens that are using them appropriately when in the sanctuary. But, chances are, if they have internet connection, the majority will be tempted to surf or game with them.

I do surf and game with mine... but never in the sanctuary. Strictly for Bible reading and note taking at that time.

• Members

The same thing is happening to my Bible also, but I've got verses underlined and notes and dates that special verses are written next to.  I think when it's time, I will get my Bible rebound instead of just new Bible to keep all my special items available and so much highlighting! 

• 9 months later...
  • Members

There was a discussion about this on Fox News the other day. They said every smart phone is automatically monitored and sometimes accessed by the government. After talking about the many forms of data they collect, as well as using peoples smart phones as direct spyware (apparently they can hack the camera function so they can see what you are seeing and they can access whatever sound/voices you hear); they discussed privacy vs security.

It's a shame, but most of the so-called conservatives were advocating for virtually unlimited spying upon Americans in the name of "security" and fighting the "war on terror".

They pointed out that absolutely nothing done using a smart phone is secure and not being monitored in some way, with information being stored around the country taken from American's smart phones under the guise of "security" and "potential future use".

Yet even when they acknowledge these things, they look right into the camera and declare that no American's privacy is being violated!!!

• Members

Of course no one's privacy is being "violated", it is being "destroyed" and those are not like terms.  For once MSM actually wasn't lying.

violate

[vahy-uh-leyt] Spell Syllables
verb (used with OBject), violated, violating.
to break, infringe, or transgress (a law, rule, agreement, promise,instructions, etc.).
to break in upon or disturb rudely; interfere thoughtlessly with:
to violate his privacy.

destroy

[dih-stroi] Spell Syllables
verb (used with OBject)
to reduce (an OBject) to useless fragments, a useless form, or remains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving; injure beyond repairor renewal; demolish; ruin; annihilate.

Archived