• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Electronic Devices In The Church Tablets, Smart Phones, Projectors, And More

The Glory Land

• Members

I like to be able to write and underline things in my Bible and I have a notebook (paper) to write sermon notes on. I noticed we have one lady who reads along with pastor on a ebook/Ipad but doesn't take any notes. Some people do neither they just listen. Everyone has their own style I guess but yes it would be nice to see everyone bring their Bible to church, use it in service and leave with it. Some people leave their Bibles on their seats for the following week! I hope they have another at home!

I'm a good note taker for future referencing. I would worry that an Ipad or other electronic device just like cell phones conveniently like to wipe out all memory every once in a while on their own.

If you're using it for vision and need super size text I understand that's different.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do use mine for vision, as Linda stated.

Although most Churches have ample lighting, my vision is so poor that I have to have my face extremely close to the pages of the Bible... blocking out much needed light.

The iPad solves that problem.

As to the wiping of the memory, I have had my iPad for over a year and had no problem of programs being erased.  I even let the battery run down completely once (full charge will run down in about 6-10 hours depending on programs running in the background) and had to recharge.  When I did, all my programs were still there.

• Members

I read the Bible on my iPad at home but so far I use a regular one at church....mostly I guess as an example.....just because I wouldn't play games on my iPad during church doesn't mean other people won't. Plus, it might be a temptation if you get a news or email alert during church.

I guess eventually I might switch, but not at this time.

• Moderators

I am of two minds on the issue of using electronics in church. On the one side, nothing can ever compare to having a real book in your hands-and the discipline of learning to navigate the Bible is something I believe to be invaluable for a young, OR old, Christian. But, during a service there are those who, because we are such a small church, we always have to wait on as they vainly struggle to find where we are, and their neighbors try to help them find it so I could see the benefit of a pad or tablet so they can get there much quicker and get more benefit by being able to read along. Unfortunately, the same ones who can't find their place also could never hope to navigate through even powering on a tablet. One lady never learned to drive because, after one try, she went the wrong way, and declared she can't do it, and never tried again.

An issue with the electronics is, of course, they are tracked, information is gathered from them, and they can be hacked, (all this even is not 'connected), and the information can be lost. If there is a prolonged power loss they are worthless, (unless you have a solar charger, which are available and inexpensive). And, of course, just like with Bible versions, there are new versions of the tablets and such out all the time, and you have to keep upgrading, meaning downloading new copies, whereas the Book can be used for years without an upgrade.

Overall, I am not against their use-once scripture was written on vellum, on parchment and on papyrus. They were probably shocked when them youngsters used that new-fangled slick paper. Then they had the audacity to stop hand-writing the new copies and used that evil printing press-who knows what other evil things those presses wrote! Yes, I am being silly. It may be if the Lord tarries, that the physical book may become fairly rare and the electronic devices will become the norm in churches, maybe for long enough that someone will come along with something else, and some old men will declare, "No! we need to keep the old-fashioned tablets in use!" Where technological innovations are concerned, old-fashioned is a matter of perspective, I suppose.

• Members

...nothing can ever compare to having a real book in your hands-and the discipline of learning to navigate the Bible is something I believe to be invaluable for a young, OR old, Christian. 

Amen!

• 2 months later...

Archived