• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Electronic Devices In The Church Tablets, Smart Phones, Projectors, And More

The Glory Land

• Members

Electronic in the church tablets, smart phones, projectors, and more

We can see that in churches, maybe not yours, but they are coming in and replacing the good book, the Holy Bible with Electronic Devices.

My question,  is this good or bad to have in our church today.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These are matters where each church is at liberty to determine for themselves. Myself, I prefer an actual paper and ink Bible in my hands.

Projectors, if used with biblical wisdom and discernment, can be beneficial. Like many other things, if used for the wrong reasons, it's a problem.

The same could be said for many of those personal electronic devices. If properly used they can be of benefit to some people. If used to pretend one is using the Bible app when they are actually checking email or playing a game or something, well...

I carry a Bible to church, no electronic devices.

• Members

These are matters where each church is at liberty to determine for themselves. Myself, I prefer an actual paper and ink Bible in my hands.

Projectors, if used with biblical wisdom and discernment, can be beneficial. Like many other things, if used for the wrong reasons, it's a problem.

The same could be said for many of those personal electronic devices. If properly used they can be of benefit to some people. If used to pretend one is using the Bible app when they are actually checking email or playing a game or something, well...

I carry a Bible to church, no electronic devices.

Me too, and I agree with you. ink and paper and hearing the pages turning too.

• Members

Well, anything to get them reading and searching the bible. It maybe be more convenient for them to carry the electronic device.

Personally, I prefer carrying the book itself. It lets people know where you are coming from. Walking down a street carrying a bible they know right away that you are a "crazy, wacko, right-wing Christian". It forces you out into the open. No following the Lord afar off as a secret disciple. An electronic device doesn't create this same effect.

Nothing will mark you more than carrying a big, black KJV 1611 bible.

• Members

I'm in favor of tablets.  Tablets are replacing notepads and books in colleges. 

I use my laptop for all Bible studies and, as yet, don't own a tablet.

I've used the Blue Letter (online) Bible for years, and like to "peek into the Greek" on occasion.

• Members

I used to attend a church where nearly all members either came empty handed or with a tablet or smart phone. I found it distracting, especially when the people sitting around me would switch between their electronic Bible and something like Angry Birds or Facebook. To the best of my knowledge, no one at our little church uses an electronic device in lieu of the printed Bible. At night, my husband and I read a chapter from the Bible aloud, and I use my Kindle. It's simply lighter to have in bed rather than my large study Bible. Otherwise, I use my printed copy.

• Members

Electronic in the church tablets, smart phones, projectors, and more

We can see that in churches, maybe not yours, but they are coming in and replacing the good book, the Holy Bible with Electronic Devices.

My question,  is this good or bad to have in our church today.

It is the same as with any tool.  IT is how it is used.  Now, I PREFER using and carrying a Bible.  That said...

Using my tablet in church provides many advantages.  You can split the screen and have one pane with the primary verse and follow other verses on another pane. 

You can have a dictionary pane open.

Concordance and cross refs are but a touch of a link.

Plus, note taking can be simplified as well, all in one convenient tablet.

An integrated prayer journal

Teaching notes with links to Bible verses and other refference sources available

Electronic devices can, and do hold many distractions for people, as well as forms of idolitry, as unfortunately, so can the Book.  There are those small circles who appear to put the Book above the Words inside.  I do not have cellular in my tablet and we don't have wifi in our church, so any online distractions are not an issue.  I would turn those off in church if we did have wifi, as I do my phone.  I am not a big fan of electronics in church as they seem to promote a worldy atmosphere as in flashy images 8 feet tall, etc.  We have a projector, but use it minimally.  Missionaries and speakers use it for presentations, we will have special videos on church anniversaries, etc shown, but never during a sermon.

Bibles made a big transition from scrolls to bound form.  That is happening again.  It is more important to mind the words, not necessarily the medium they are conveyed on.  It is just unfortunate that anything can be used to pervert and distort God's Word.  As in all things honour to God is primary.  I am, though, still a bit on the fence.

• Members

Personally, I prefer carrying the book itself. It lets people know where you are coming from. Walking down a street carrying a bible they know right away that you are a "crazy, wacko, right-wing Christian". It forces you out into the open. No following the Lord afar off as a secret disciple. An electronic device doesn't create this same effect.

Nothing will mark you more than carrying a big, black KJV 1611 bible.

One of the reasons I still prefer the Book.  Although I have been known to carry both.  The tablet is small and thin and does carry some good reference library material.

• Members

I'm a "high tech" type of guy. However, I don't prefer the use of big screens, tablets, smartphones, etc. in church. I guess it just reminds me the "final days" too much.

It's especially distracting (annoying) when a digital technology malfunctions during a service. When it comes to church services, I vote to keep them old-fashioned.

• Moderators

Yah, we never have technical problems until its time to set up the projector for a visiting missionary. Like clockwork. :frog:

I find it distracting to see phones used in church, cause you never know what people are doing on them. I have been guilty myself of pulling it out to check a term on Strong's concordance... Or to text the usher to ask if we can shut the window cause its getting too cold! :wink

• Members

I will always use the printed word in church.  The youngsters though are attracted to all the latest gizmos as I was when young; we were the first on our block with the Apple II computer, Sony Walkman and the VCR!

• Members

My husband is legally blind and also uses his iPad for reading the lyrics to the hymns in the hymnals.  He has several Baptist Hymnals on the iPad and he can enlarge the print in order to see the lyrics of the hymns.  I have not seen hymnals in any church with extra large print for the visually impaired...so the iPad works great.  He also takes notes on the sermons on the iPad and has several King James Bible programs downloaded. 

Archived