• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Don't Baptist Fast

• Members

Fasting is surely a biblical practice, and I never heard of it until I became IFB. And of course we often neglect watching, which is to sleep what fasting is to food-giving up sleep for spiritual purposes. Fasting and prayer is always seen associated with seeking God's will in life and is always associated with prayer-to fast but not pray is to do only half the work.

Honestly many, including me, are lazy Christians and choose not to fast, or not fast regularly.  There is power in fasting and it is commanded right along with prayer.

One thing to keep in mind that many strong Christians might be fasting but never speak of it as it is a personal thing that one would not necessarily "toot" their own horn about.

• Moderators

No, I'll just go to the Cross of Christ, & kneel down, confess my sins, & worship my Savior. Rituals actually do not draw a person closer to God, for most they're just works, that plays on emotions, & makes the person feel better about their self, thinking they've really done something. 

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Yes, Jesus died on the Cross being completely obedient to the Father & the Father set Him in that position, & there is no other way to the Father except though Him. And I promise you if you will go to that Cross & leave it all there, there's nothing else that can gain the closeness to God you'll have when you stand & walk away.

Nice sentiment, except its not some empty ritual-its quite biblical. Jesus fasted, Moses fasted, Paul fasted, Elijah fasted, David fasted. You're saying that they all just sought to play on the emotions of others, all just doing works to feel closer to God? Now, if one goes about it ritualistically, that's all it will be, but if one doesn't try it, you're missing out on an aspect of your relationship with Christ and your Christian walk that you'll never know otherwise.

• Members

I believe in fasting, but frankly don't have the character and discipline to do it. I end up being so hungry I can hardly pray, times when I have fasted in the past.....which is key.....it's not just fasting, but it's praying while fasting that counts. Fasting alone is just a crash diet.

• Members
Isaiah 58

King James Version (KJV)

58 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.

Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.

Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.

Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.

Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward.

Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day:

11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 7/15/2013 at 10:55 AM, The Glory Land said:

Mat 17:19  Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 
Mat 17:20  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 
Mat 17:21  Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Mar 9:28  And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? 
Mar 9:29  And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

fasting is part of our self-denial

Mar 8:34  And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

there are those people who are christian in name only, they have been indoctrinated into believe they don't have to do one single thing as a christian, that everything is already paid for and they can just waltz right on into Heaven like they own the place!

those poor deceive souls will find out when they die that they were lied to and that they do not get to pass go, collect their crown and enter in to Heaven but rather have went to a devils hell because they did exactly the same thing as the unprofitable servant.

Jesus fasted, and he did not need too. The flesh is weak my friend, by fasting you're telling it, Jesus is in control. Now do it without playing the horn or saidness on your face.

• Moderators

I have to say, I appreciate the honesty of those who admit they are too weak to fast. Honesty is a good thing, but it also implies you know you ought to do it, and you know it will bring your walk with Christ somewhere it has never been before. So I ask: Is it worth it to you? Do you want a better relationship?

But I also warn you: like anything we do when we seek to grow in Christ, it has its inherent dangers. The last time I fasted, I fasted for a week, because I wanted to gain some wisdom and seek god's will, as well as begin to improve my work as a pastor. Shortly after starting, my wife got sick. They said it was nothing, but a few days later, she went into the emergency room and didn't leave the hospital for 5 months, severely ill, almost dying. Listening to some preaching sermons to try to gains some balance as I reeled over what was happening, a sermon by my old pastor, who himself has done serious fasting, warned that when we fast, we need to keep in mind that things may occur that seem devastating at the moment, but are happening as a response to the fasting done to grow, and that helped immensely, as I fully realized this was god's will for some reason, and that through it all, there would be some spiritual gain.

So when you fast, if you're truly looking for spiritual results, things can happen that may seem hard, but remember, a tree only bears more and better fruit when it is properly pruned from time to time. But is it worth it? Absolutely!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

To Allen of the IFB

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/02/10/pure-evil-southern-baptist-leaders-condemn-decades-sexual-abuse-revealed-investigation/

this is no surprise to me, I have been exposing osas for the heresy that it is for many years, this is where osas leads it is the natural outcome when you are programmed and brainwashed to believe that no sin you might ever commit will keep you from going to Heaven.

westboro baptist terrorist hate group.

pastor steven anderson and his terrorist hate group.

george sodini member of a baptist church for 13 years, murdered 3 women wounded 9 others and then committed suicide  and the deacon of his church firmly said sodini was in Heaven but lost his rewards, gee how comforting to the families that lost their loved ones to sodini's hate of women because he couldn't find any women who would sleep with him. according to his blog that is there for all to see.

donny romero of stedfast baptist church and founder of the new ifb, had to step down as pastor, due to seeing prostitutes, smoking weed, and gambling with church money, I bet his wife was not very happy about the prostitutes!!!

then there are these gems

Sam Morris, Baptist preacher in Stamford, TX wrote an article entitled, "Do A Christian's sins damn his souls"? Here is a quote from the article: "We take the position that a Christian's sins do not damn his soul. The way a Christian lives, what he says, his character, his conduct, or his attitude toward other people have nothing whatever to do with the salvation of his souls...And all the sins he may commit from murder to idolatry will not make his soul in any more danger.

Bill Foster, Baptist preacher in Louisville KY made this comment: "If I killed my wife and mother and debauched a thousand women I couldn't go to hell--in fact, I couldn't go to hell if I wanted to."

and these people when they see this stuff simply circle the wagons and get all defensive about their beloved license to sin of osas even after knowing the massive amounts of human suffering that doctrine has caused.

it is only the advent of social media that has really shed a light on just how much sinning is going on because of osas.

and here come the defenders to claim for the umpteenth 1,000th time that osas is not to blame, they will say and do anything to protect their beloved license to sin, does not matter how many people get hurt or even killed by osaser's

and if you think 700 is all the victims there are, think again because this has been going on since calvins day 400+ years ago, 700 is but a drop in the bucket of how many real victims of osas related crimes there have been with calvin being the first as a murderer when he had Michael Servetus burned at the stake as a heretic, the real reason is because Servetus publicly disagreed with calvin and calvin did not take kindly to being disagreed with by anyone, as the pope of Geneva he ruled with and iron fist.

the faithful brainwashed into osas will defend osas with their dying breath.

this is going to be stuff that will be used against christians by the antichrist to persecute christians due to all of these accounts of wrongdoing that will all be available because what goes online stays online for many years and will be used to show that christians, in general, are evil.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sexual-abuse-decades-southern-baptist-convention-leaders-workers-investigation-revealed-report-2019-02-11/

Hundreds of Southern Baptist church leaders and workers have been accused of sexual misconduct over the past 20 years, including dozens who returned to church duties, according to a joint investigation by two newspapers.

The San Antonio Express-News and Houston Chronicle reported Sunday that their six-month investigation found about 380 Southern Baptist church leaders and workers who were accused of sexual misconduct since 1998, leaving more than 700 victims. Some were as young as 3 years old while others were adults when they were abused, the newspapers reported.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/06/southern-baptists-condemn-evil-of-sexual-abuse.html

Greear urged the more than 8,000 voting messengers in the BJCC Legacy Arena in Birmingham to stand and hold up a guide distributed for churches emphasizing action steps to prevent abuse.

“We cannot change our past, but we can change our future,” Greear said. Greear also led a “prayer of lament, repentance and sorrow” during the Wednesday afternoon session.

you can't change anything because your core doctrine of osas is the cause of this human suffering at the hands of hundreds of Baptist LEADERS!!!