• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Don't Baptist Fast

• Members

Who said Baptists don't fast? As with many things, teaching and practice regarding fasting differs from one Baptist church to another, and from one Baptists to another.

Properly (biblically) done, fasting can be a wonderful tool.

I have been to many of them, it is not something we practice or teach our members. Do a poll and you will see.

• Members

Some Baptists fast. I've fasted. Just after I was saved I fasted for 10 straight days (it might have been more but I'm sure of 10) only drinking water. I'm not bragging and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. In fact it was crazy. Not sure why I did it. It wasn't too long after I was saved so some of it was out of ignorance. But I was also going through a terrible time in my life. I dropped out of school, I was kicked out of the house by my parents, I was depressed and suffering from Pure OCD.  The Pure OCD may have played into why I fasted so long. After the third day of fasting it actually got easier and even became hard to eat when I stop fasting. Kind of like how when you are so tired that you can't sleep. I'll tell you one thing, a lot of things happened in my life with God after that. It was bam, bam, bam. Maybe I should start fasting again. I won't be doing no 10 day fast though that's for sure.

One thing I noticed is that the early Christians fasted and prayed before they sent out missionaries (Acts 13:2,3). I know from the churches I've attended there was usually a big church supper before someone left for the mission field.

• Members

Some Baptists fast. I've fasted. Just after I was saved I fasted for 10 straight days (it might have been more but I'm sure of 10) only drinking water. I'm not bragging and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. In fact it was crazy. Not sure why I did it. It wasn't too long after I was saved so some of it was out of ignorance. But I was also going through a terrible time in my life. I dropped out of school, I was kicked out of the house by my parents, I was depressed and suffering from Pure OCD.  The Pure OCD may have played into why I fasted so long. After the third day of fasting it actually got easier and even became hard to eat when I stop fasting. Kind of like how when you are so tired that you can't sleep. I'll tell you one thing, a lot of things happened in my life with God after that. It was bam, bam, bam. Maybe I should start fasting again. I won't be doing no 10 day fast though that's for sure.

One thing I noticed is that the early Christians fasted and prayed before they sent out missionaries (Acts 13:2,3). I know from the churches I've attended there was usually a big church supper before someone left for the mission field.

Thank you, were your prayers anwsered?

Edited by The Glory Land

• Members

The longest I have fasted was three days, but I did not do it for the right reasons then.  I believe there is an element of sorrow in fasting; the Biblical accounts (Pharisee's excepted) almost always express a great need and a great sorrow.  Esther is a good example. 

Isaiah makes it practical:

Isa 58:6  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

A word search on fasting can be enlightening.

Edited by irishman

• Members

Isn't the actual way to get close to God is to seek forgiveness from God for your sins though Jesus & His work on the Cross them trust & obey Him as each day goes by while following Jesus closely taking up your cross while denying your self?

Sadly many feel close, or closer to God just because they fast, they feel fasting, doing without, suffering, gets them closer to God, that my friend is a work running on emotions.

A lady that my wife works with she will always tell everyone when she is fasting, seems she loves to blow her horn as many do.

• Moderators

I am a big believer in fasting, though as mentioned above, I don't do it as I should. My old pastor, Doug Fisher of Lighthouse in San Diego, did, that I know of, two 40-day fasts-neither of which he told anyone about, save family and some friends who fasted with him during parts of it as support. He only spoke of them well after the fact, as a training/preaching issue. Both were water-only fasts, and he recommends no one do it, unless they are absolutely certain it is God's will,

Fasting is surely a biblical practice, and I never heard of it until I became IFB. And of course we often neglect watching, which is to sleep what fasting is to food-giving up sleep for spiritual purposes. Fasting and prayer is always seen associated with seeking God's will in life and is always associated with prayer-to fast but not pray is to do only half the work.

• Members

I am a big believer in fasting, though as mentioned above, I don't do it as I should. My old pastor, Doug Fisher of Lighthouse in San Diego, did, that I know of, two 40-day fasts-neither of which he told anyone about, save family and some friends who fasted with him during parts of it as support. He only spoke of them well after the fact, as a training/preaching issue. Both were water-only fasts, and he recommends no one do it, unless they are absolutely certain it is God's will,

Fasting is surely a biblical practice, and I never heard of it until I became IFB. And of course we often neglect watching, which is to sleep what fasting is to food-giving up sleep for spiritual purposes. Fasting and prayer is always seen associated with seeking God's will in life and is always associated with prayer-to fast but not pray is to do only half the work.

40 day fasts?! Wow, I think you end up dying around 50 days without food. 

Other than Jesus and Moses, I believe the longest you read of in the bible three days.

Interesting tid-bit: God never commanded anyone to fast.

• Members
a

Isn't the actual way to get close to God is to seek forgiveness from God for your sins though Jesus & His work on the Cross them trust & obey Him as each day goes by while following Jesus closely taking up your cross while denying your self?

Sadly many feel close, or closer to God just because they fast, they feel fasting, doing without, suffering, gets them closer to God, that my friend is a work running on emotions.

A lady that my wife works with she will always tell everyone when she is fasting, seems she loves to blow her horn as many do.

Jesus fasted, and he did not need too. The flesh is weak my friend, by fasting you're telling it, Jesus is in control. Now do it without playing the horn or saidness on your face.

Edited by The Glory Land

• Members

I believe in fasting but I don't practice it : (  There is power in fasting, I think it is there just waiting for me to do it. I am weak in many areas. :th_wellduh:

This is a great and challenging post. I'd encourage you to make the decision to privately fast and pray.

Matthew 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

The way I understand this verse: Jesus informs us that prayer and fasting is the antidote for unbelief to a faithless and perverse generation. I’ve heard this devil compared to a stronghold in this verse since it refused to obey the disciples. So Jesus gave them the solution.

I’ve fasted many times. As mentioned, fasting becomes “easier” after the second day. As the needs of your flesh become more distant, I believe you’re more in tune with spiritual matters and closer to God. I’ve seen God answer prayer that I perceived as impossible because of fasting, clean living, obedience, and prayer. This is a great topic and reminded me that it’s been some time since I’ve fasted.

This topic reminds me of this story (paraphrased):

A Cherokee Indian teaching his grandson said, "A fight is going on inside me. It is a fight between two wolves. One is evil (list evil qualities) and one is good (list good qualities). The same fight is going on in you." The grandson then asked, "Which wolf will win?" He replied, "The one you feed the most."

If you feed your flesh more than your spirit, the flesh will win. I wish knew Christians that fast and pray. I need this type of influence in my life. The truth is, I’m not sure if I know any.

• Moderators

40 day fasts?! Wow, I think you end up dying around 50 days without food. 

Other than Jesus and Moses, I believe the longest you read of in the bible three days.

Interesting tid-bit: God never commanded anyone to fast.

Perhaps, but there is an assumption of fasting:

"Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." (Matt 6:16)

As well, Jesus said we WOULD fast when the bridegroom was gone:

"And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast." (Mat 9:15)

As well, we see it in the book of Acts as an example that they fasted, so the assumption should be that we should, as well.

"As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid [their] hands on them, they sent [them] away."

And Jesus declared that there are spiritual powers that can be dealt with only through fasting and prayer:

"And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." (Matt 9:29).

So, sounds like we do have a mandate. Fasting is useful for seeking God's will, for power in spiritual warfare, and in mourning for Jesus to come again.

• Members

No, I'll just go to the Cross of Christ, & kneel down, confess my sins, & worship my Savior. Rituals actually do not draw a person closer to God, for most they're just works, that plays on emotions, & makes the person feel better about their self, thinking they've really done something. 

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Yes, Jesus died on the Cross being completely obedient to the Father & the Father set Him in that position, & there is no other way to the Father except though Him. And I promise you if you will go to that Cross & leave it all there, there's nothing else that can gain the closeness to God you'll have when you stand & walk away.