• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Zimmerman Found Not Guilty

All native Floridians are "crackers".  It refers to the cowmen or cow hunters (cowboys) who instead of using lassos to round up cattle, cracked whips to round up and herd cattle through Florida's scrub and woods in the 1800-1900s.

This is what I've always heard, as well as the one about cracking the whip at the slaves. My 3x great grand daddy and two of his 3 sons fought for the Confedracy and the two sons were killed in the war. When the war was over my 3x grandad became a Baptist preacher and moved to Florida. The story is told that the last of his 3 sons, my 2x great grand dad, hid in a well to avoid beinbg drafted; he was 14 at the time. If he hadn't done that, I might not be here. My folks were always too poor to own slaves and, as far as I know, they weren't cattlemen either. My 2x great grand daddy's log cabin is at the Science Discovery Center museum in Panama City .It has a sign in the exhibit with his name and a short family history. Here's an interior shot..... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__thuDkhvRVM/TPaFHwRf8EI/AAAAAAAABr4/2XvclPCxE6I/s1600/044.JPG

http://scienceanddiscoverycenter.org/

Edited by heartstrings

The more significant issue in this instance that has not been discussed much is the irresponsible use of a gun and the danger of taking police work into one's own hands.

Zimmerman was negligent and reckless in his actions.  After calling the police to report suspicious activity, that should have been the end of his actions.  Instead, he stalked this boy.  It is hard to say who started the altercation, but I'd be afraid if someone were stalking me and would feel the need to defend myself or run.  

This is an example of why I am uncomfortable with people walking around with guns in highly populated places.  It is dangerous.  Good motivations can go bad in an instant.

Zimmerman's license to carry a gun should be revoked, I believe, because he did not use it responsibly.  He stalked someone and provoked an altercation and then shot the boy in "self defense."  

Also, I think a civil suit is in store against Zimmerman for his negligent and reckless actions.  I do not believe what he did rose to the level of criminal, though manslaughter was certainly close, but it does rise to the level of negligence and reckless, and he should be held civilly responsible for his actions.

The more significant issue in this instance that has not been discussed much is the irresponsible use of a gun and the danger of taking police work into one's own hands.

Zimmerman was negligent and reckless in his actions.  After calling the police to report suspicious activity, that should have been the end of his actions.  Instead, he stalked this boy.  It is hard to say who started the altercation, but I'd be afraid if someone were stalking me and would feel the need to defend myself or run.  

This is an example of why I am uncomfortable with people walking around with guns in highly populated places.  It is dangerous.  Good motivations can go bad in an instant.

Zimmerman's license to carry a gun should be revoked, I believe, because he did not use it responsibly.  He stalked someone and provoked an altercation and then shot the boy in "self defense."  

Also, I think a civil suit is in store against Zimmerman for his negligent and reckless actions.  I do not believe what he did rose to the level of criminal, though manslaughter was certainly close, but it does rise to the level of negligence and reckless, and he should be held civilly responsible for his actions.

How do you know he "stalked" "provoked" or used his gun irresponsibly? I wasn't there. So i can't make any judgment on the matter one way or the other. 

How do you know he "stalked" "provoked" or used his gun irresponsibly? I wasn't there. So i can't make any judgment on the matter one way or the other. 

In trial, the testimony was that he called the police and the police told him not to follow Martin.  Zimmerman then followed him.  That is irresponsible and taking police work into one's own hands.  

The testimony from the 911 dispatcher was that Zimmerman said he was following Martin, and the 911 dispatcher told him not to follow Martin.  He disregarded this advice and took police work into his own hands.

He had a gun.  He should know that tailing someone who does not know you will arouse fright and suspicion and could easily lead to an altercation.  Which is exactly what happened.  Martin felt afraid because a strange man was following him.  It does not surprise me at all that an altercation broke out.

Edited by kindofblue1977

It's not been discussed because it's not an issue.  If it were me, Trayvon would have been shot much sooner, I would not have allowed that thug to break my nose or pound my head into the pavement and I doubt you or anyone else would have either had you been carrying a sidearm.  It's also a false premise to say that Zimmerman took "police work" into his own hands.  This is a very clear case of self-defense for those who have eyes to see.

In trial, the testimony was that he called the police and the police told him not to follow Martin.  Zimmerman then followed him.  That is irresponsible and taking police work into one's own hands.  

Since when do 911 Operators have authority over you?  Maybe you but not me.  Regardless, you do not have your facts right.  Zimmerman, like a good Democrat, did begin to return to his vehicle when told to do so by 911.  Trayvon ditched his drugs and doubled back to engage Zimmerman.

It's not been discussed because it's not an issue.  If it were me, Trayvon would have been shot much sooner, I would not have allowed that thug to break my nose or pound my head into the pavement and I doubt you or anyone else would have either had you been carrying a sidearm.  It's also a false premise to say that Zimmerman took "police work" into his own hands.  This is a very clear case of self-defense for those who have eyes to see.

Since when do 911 Operators have authority over you?  Maybe you but not me.  Regardless, you do not have your facts right.  Zimmerman, like a good Democrat, did begin to return to his vehicle when told to do so by 911.  Trayvon ditched his drugs and doubled back to engage Zimmerman.

The testimony is simple.  Zimmerman called 911.  On that call, he said he was following Martin and that Martin was running from him. This indicates that Zimmerman initiated.  I suspect Martin did attack Zimmerman, but he was first being followed by what he perceived to be a strange man.  If someone was following me, it would put up my defenses as well.

I never said the 911 dispatcher had authority, but they have experience.  Police will tell you to let them do the police work.  Citizens have no business following someone else.  It is dangerous, puts people on the defense, and can lead to episodes just like this.

I don't think Zimmerman did anything criminal, but he in no way should have followed Martin.  And where do you get that Martin had drugs on him?  His autopsy showed THC in his system, but no evidence of any drugs on his possession or that he had used that day.  

The entire incident is senseless.  Zimmerman should have made a call, reported suspicious activity, and that should have been the end of it. He should never have followed Marin, and this senseless tragedy would have been avoided.

When/if I see suspicious activity in my neighborhood I make the call to 911 and follow the individual from a safe distance. I could not live with myself if I walked away and the suspicious individual raped or killed someone. If they truly do not have bad intentions, then nothing will happen. 

When/if I see suspicious activity in my neighborhood I make the call to 911 and follow the individual from a safe distance. I could not live with myself if I walked away and the suspicious individual raped or killed someone. If they truly do not have bad intentions, then nothing will happen. 

But what is suspicious about a kid with a bag of Skittles and a drink walking down the street, as appears to be the case here?  Here is where race comes in.  Zimmerman had called the police 4 or 5 times in a month to report suspicious activity, every time it was a black male.  Does being a young black male make one automatically suspicious?

Also, what if someone who has no bad intentions sees you following?  If someone viewed me as suspicious and followed me, I'd have one of two reactions. My first would be to walk faster, then run, to get away, which would apparently make me look more suspicious.  If they still tried to follow me and I could not get away, then I would probably call teh police if I had a phone.  If not, then I would figure out how to defend myself.

If I see suspicious activity in my neighborhood, I call the cops and that is it.  I would put my family at risk if I followed and they were a dangerous individual, as that puts me in danger and leaving my children without a father.  

It is not a good idea to try to do the police work for the police.  Ever.  

Edited by kindofblue1977

What do you tell your children to do if they notice a strange man following them?  I tell them to run.  If a strange man is approaching them, then they need to throw a fit and a large commotion.  they need to fight to get away.

Here we have a teenage kid with a strange man following him.  How do you think he should have reacted?

But what is suspicious about a kid with a bag of Skittles and a drink walking down the street, as appears to be the case here?  Here is where race comes in.  Zimmerman had called the police 4 or 5 times in a month to report suspicious activity, every time it was a black male.  Does being a young black male make one automatically suspicious?

I did not bring up race because it makes no difference to me what color someone is, not sure why YOU brought it up. You have be nuts if you think that you know what is in a bag of a suspicious individual walking down the street, don't you think that is part of what makes someone suspicious? I live in the inner city, people with bags walk by all the time. I can see it from my couch in the living room. Yea, I always know what is in the bag in their hands. LOL. 

While it may be true that Zimmerman only called police for black suspicious activity, You are making assumptions that there was other races with suspicious activity during that time where he did not call the police. You can throw out assumptions and call them facts.

As a side note since you threw in the race card, I was in the projects that is next to my house most of the day yesterday talking to kids and the parents that live there. I was talking to a 12 year old that told me he was moving. I asked him why, and his response caught me off guard when he said, "We are moving because there are too many black people here and they shoot each other and steal everything. I then had to explain to him that all races do that and they ALL need Jesus. 

Also, what if someone who has no bad intentions sees you following? If someone viewed me as suspicious and followed me, I'd have one of two reactions. My first would be to walk faster, then run, to get away, which would apparently make me look more suspicious. If they still tried to follow me and I could not get away, then I would probably call teh police if I had a phone. If not, then I would figure out how to defend myself.

I've had people with no bad intentions see me following and I ask them what they are doing and they explain and go about their business. Simple as that.

I've had people in my neighborhood think I was suspicious at times. When I noticed them looking at me, I would talk to them and let them know what I was doing. When I approach them, my hand are clearly visible so that they do not get defensive. That always ended things. I have yet to beat someones head into the ground and attack them. I always will wait until they attack first.

What do you tell your children to do if they notice a strange man following them?  I tell them to run.  If a strange man is approaching them, then they need to throw a fit and a large commotion.  they need to fight to get away.

Here we have a teenage kid with a strange man following him.  How do you think he should have reacted?

I would have kept moving along briskly and if the man was still following me, I would do what I said in my earlier post. I would try to talk from a distance loudly and show my hands so that they will not think I'm attacking them. Just like I do not know their intentions, they do not know mine. So far that tacit has worked for me in my city. Not once would I ever touch them FIRST.

My children would make loud noises and they would find the closes house and knock very loudly on the door and ask to wait there until the police come. 

Of course, my kids would not be out late at night buying skittles and a drink by themselves.

I did not bring up race because it makes no difference to me what color someone is, not sure why YOU brought it up. You have be nuts if you think that you know what is in a bag of a suspicious individual walking down the street, don't you think that is part of what makes someone suspicious? I live in the inner city, people with bags walk all the time by me.Yea, I always know what is in the bag in their hands. LOL. 

While it may be true that Zimmerman only called police for black suspicious activity, You are making assumptions that there was other races with suspicious activity during that time where he did not call the police. You can throw out assumptions and call them facts.

As a side note since you threw in the race card, I was in the projects that is next to my house most of the day yesterday talking to kids and the parents that live there. I was talking to a 12 year old that told me he was moving. I asked him why, and his response caught me off guard when he said, "We are moving because there are too many black people here and they shoot each other and steal everything. I then had to explain to him that all races do that and they ALL need Jesus. 

I've had people with no bad intentions see me following and I ask them what they are doing and they explain and go about their business. Simple as that.

I've had people in my neighborhood think I was suspicious at times. When I noticed them looking at me, I would talk to them and let them know what I was doing. When I approach them, my hand are clearly visible so that they do not get defensive. That always ended things. I have yet to beat someones head into the ground and attack them. I always will wait until they attack first.

I was not injecting race, merely raising a question.  I can see why many think Zimmerman used race to say Martin was suspicious.  He certainly seemed to call the police only on black people.  This is part of a larger discussion in society.that many people, even unconsciously, may view young black men more suspiciously than a young white man.  It is a fact in our society, and worthy of discussion.

Anyway, you are an adult, and know much better how to handle yourself than a teenager.  There is no telling what a frightened teenager will do.  

And no, I don't know what is in someone's bag, and I honestly do not care.  Someone carrying a bag does not make them suspicious looking, in my book.  

When I was 16 years old, a friend of mine and I foolishly thought it would be fun to pick out a random car and follow it.  We stayed a distance back, but just made every turn the car made.  After about 20 minutes, the person noticed us, and began making random turns.  We continued to follow.  They person got very scared and started behaving erratically.  The care turned into a dead end street, and we followed.  The driver was crying and yelling "What do you want from me?"  It was incredibly foolish of us and we were fortunate she did not call the police, or ram our car with her car.  

I never did that again because I felt terrible.  We were jut being goofy, but we scared someone very badly.  The same would be true if I followed someone on foot.  Scared people will behave in unpredictable ways, including attacking.  You don't know the person's background, personality, state of mind, etc.  It does not surprise me at all that Martin attacked Zimmerman.  In fact, many young men will attack when they feel threatened.  

I don't think ZImmerman killed Martin because of his race.  Did he view him suspiciously because of his race?  Perhaps.  It is hard to know.  But the bottom line is he behaved irresponsibly by following him which caused fright, which lead to the fight.  The fight led to the death.  

It is a simple case really.  No criminal activity, but there this does bring up issues of race that are good to discuss.  It brings up issues of what is responsible behavior when you are carrying a gun.  It brings up issues of how should private citizens engage "suspicious" looking people. 

...Zimmerman was negligent and reckless in his actions.  After calling the police to report suspicious activity, that should have been the end of his actions.  Instead, he stalked this boy.  It is hard to say who started the altercation, but I'd be afraid if someone were stalking me and would feel the need to defend myself or run.  

This is an example of why I am uncomfortable with people walking around with guns in highly populated places.  It is dangerous.  Good motivations can go bad in an instant...

...Also, I think a civil suit is in store against Zimmerman for his negligent and reckless actions.  I do not believe what he did rose to the level of criminal, though manslaughter was certainly close, but it does rise to the level of negligence and reckless, and he should be held civilly responsible for his actions.

Whether or not what he did was reckless & irresponsible, his actions have no call on whether or not he (or anyone) should be permitted to carry guns. The point of guns for self-defense is not so much that some good people use them in bad ways. It's that there are bad people who always use them in bad ways.

I must confess to not really understanding civil vs. criminal suits, but it seems to me that this man has already been prosecuted in a court of law for this incident. He has been found not guilty, and should not have to be tried again. Can you imagine the world that would be created by such a farce? If the government or your opposers don't like the sentence you get (or don't get), they can just keep taking you to court over and over again until they get what they want or you die. Either way your life is no longer your own.  I've heard other sources pushing for another suit - and it makes me so mad! :verymad:  The man is innocent. Did he do something stupid and put himself in a bad situation? Maybe. But he has been found innocent of the life of the dead man. It is not to be imputed to him.  As far as the (possible) stupidity - if they prosecuted people for being stupid, we'd all be in court.

Whether or not what he did was reckless & irresponsible, his actions have no call on whether or not he (or anyone) should be permitted to carry guns. The point of guns for self-defense is not so much that some good people use them in bad ways. It's that there are bad people who always use them in bad ways.

I must confess to not really understanding civil vs. criminal suits, but it seems to me that this man has already been prosecuted in a court of law for this incident. He has been found not guilty, and should not have to be tried again. Can you imagine the world that would be created by such a farce? If the government or your opposers don't like the sentence you get (or don't get), they can just keep taking you to court over and over again until they get what they want or you die. Either way your life is no longer your own.  I've heard other sources pushing for another suit - and it makes me so mad! :verymad:  The man is innocent. Did he do something stupid and put himself in a bad situation? Maybe. But he has been found innocent of the life of the dead man. It is not to be imputed to him.  As far as the (possible) stupidity - if they prosecuted people for being stupid, we'd all be in court.

In a civil suit, a person is responsible to pay for the damages caused.  It does not have to be criminal conduct.  If someone is reckless or negligent, and their actions cause harm, then they must pay for the damage.

If a doctor is supposed to amputate a right leg, and instead cuts of the left due to a mistake (yes, it has happened), he has to pay for the damage.  If I run a stop sign and hit a pedestrian, I must pay for the damage I caused.

Thing about OJ Simpson.  He was found not guilty f murder in a criminal suit.  But in a civil suit, he was found to have killed them, and had to pay for the damage he caused.

So by extension, if I carry a gun, and I try to shoot a burglar in a crowded mall and injure an innocent bystander, I am responsible to pay for the harm caused to that person.  The question is whether Zimmerman was negligent and reckless in his actions that led to the death of Martin.  I think it is quite possible he was.

There are criminal laws.  He was found not guilty.  He cannot be tried again on the same charges.  It is over.  But that does not absolve him of civil liability to Martin's family if he is found to have been negligent in his actions.

Okay, thanks, I see where you're coming from more now. 

In this particular case, I would think that the fact he was acting in self-defense when actually shooting would preclude any damages needing to get paid. Unless they want to bring a suit against Martin's family for any brain damage incurred during the attack. But that's my opinion and worth what you paid for it! :frog:

Also, what if someone who has no bad intentions sees you following?  If someone viewed me as suspicious and followed me, I'd have one of two reactions. My first would be to walk faster, then run, to get away, which would apparently make me look more suspicious.  If they still tried to follow me and I could not get away, then I would probably call teh police if I had a phone.  If not, then I would figure out how to defend myself.

If I see suspicious activity in my neighborhood, I call the cops and that is it.  I would put my family at risk if I followed and they were a dangerous individual, as that puts me in danger and leaving my children without a father.  

It is not a good idea to try to do the police work for the police.  Ever.  

People keep bringing up the "Skittles" like Trayvon was an innocent little kid from the candy store. This young man was smoking dope, stealing, getting in fights, and was suspended from school because he couldn't stay out of trouble. If anyone should be ashamed it should be his parents for not taking responsibility for their kid.   He was, no doubt smart and talented and a fine looking young man too! What a tragedy!...

He might just have been eating Skittles and drinking tea but we'll never know for sure. They also use these as ingredients to make drugs...........

http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2012/05/skittles-arizona-iced-tea-robitussin-drank-or-lean-2182589.html

Edited by heartstrings

may view young black men more suspiciously than a young white man.  It is a fact in our society, and worthy of discussion.

Anyway, you are an adult, and know much better how to handle yourself than a teenager.  There is no telling what a frightened teenager will do.  

And no, I don't know what is in someone's bag, and I honestly do not care.  Someone carrying a bag does not make them suspicious looking, in my book.  

1) That is true of stereotyping, but is is not just based on whites vs blacks. Like I mentioned, blacks are moving out of areas because they say they there are too many blacks in that area. Ironically, many blacks are moving into Hispanic neighborhoods. While racism does exists, the media make it seem slanted more in certain areas than it really is. This was a non race story. To say Zimmerman was racists you would have to "assume"things. Can't fill in-between the lines and call it facts.

2) There is no telling what anyone would do, adult or not. When you see someone you have no idea what their intentions are or their mental ability. I believe both men should have handled things a little differently that night, and I do agree with the jury on this. 

3) Ask any cop in my area if anyone with a bag at night is suspicious and the answer is yes. It is worthy of discussion, because people us bags to conceal things.

The testimony is simple.  Zimmerman called 911.  On that call, he said he was following Martin and that Martin was running from him. This indicates that Zimmerman initiated.  I suspect Martin did attack Zimmerman, but he was first being followed by what he perceived to be a strange man.  If someone was following me, it would put up my defenses as well.

I never said the 911 dispatcher had authority, but they have experience.  Police will tell you to let them do the police work.  Citizens have no business following someone else.  It is dangerous, puts people on the defense, and can lead to episodes just like this.

I don't think Zimmerman did anything criminal, but he in no way should have followed Martin.  And where do you get that Martin had drugs on him?  His autopsy showed THC in his system, but no evidence of any drugs on his possession or that he had used that day.  

The entire incident is senseless.  Zimmerman should have made a call, reported suspicious activity, and that should have been the end of it. He should never have followed Marin, and this senseless tragedy would have been avoided.

Do you realize that your statements are contradictory yet?  Your worldview has left you in the dark KOB.

Trayvon was in front of Zimmerman with his father's girlfriend's residence in front of him.  He could have run to her residence and shut the door, right?  Inside he would have been with another person and since he too was carrying a cell phone, could have called 911.  But thugs don't act that way.

Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Juice drink when mixed with Robitussin cough syrup make a person high and aggressive.  Martin was known to make this drug and tried to make it even more potent with codeine.  At the 7-11 store he gave a guy $2 to buy him a "blunt" which druggies hollow out to smoke their marijuana in.

The liberal mind fruitlessly tries to make Zimmerman the aggressor, who was anything but.  The aggression was all on the side of Trayvon Martin who ran away from Zimmerman and then doubled back to ambush him as he was returning to his vehicle.  He began to aggressively curse at and then knocked George to the ground with the intent to kill him.   

Do you realize that your statements are contradictory yet?  Your worldview has left you in the dark KOB.

Trayvon was in front of Zimmerman with his father's girlfriend's residence in front of him.  He could have run to her residence and shut the door, right?  Inside he would have been with another person and since he too was carrying a cell phone, could have called 911.  But thugs don't act that way.

Skittles and Arizona Watermelon Juice drink when mixed with Robitussin cough syrup make a person high and aggressive.  Martin was known to make this drug and tried to make it even more potent with codeine.  At the 7-11 store he gave a guy $2 to buy him a "blunt" which druggies hollow out to smoke their marijuana in.

The liberal mind fruitlessly tries to make Zimmerman the aggressor, who was anything but.  The aggression was all on the side of Trayvon Martin who ran away from Zimmerman and then doubled back to ambush him as he was returning to his vehicle.  He began to aggressively curse at and then knocked George to the ground with the intent to kill him.   

There is no evidence he was a thug.  From, everything I've read, he was a typical teenager who had gotten in a little trouble at school.  He had smoked a little marijuana (and way why he was staying with his father).  Many kids have smoked a little dope.  He was suspended for painting some graffiti on a locker.  Yes, he caused a little trouble, but there has been no past history with law enforcement and no history of violence.  

This was a teenager who was scared that a strange adult man was stalking him.  I'd be scared as well.  You say you would have shot him before hi could hit you.  If Martin had been carrying a gun, would he have been justified in shooting Zimmerman for following him?  

Zimmerman is not innocent in this.  No, he did not commit a crime, but he acted in a way to make Martin feel threatened, which I believe led Martin to acting violently to protect himself.  This escalated, and Zimmerman had a gun.

You do not claim Zimmerman is a thug for trying to defend himself.  Why do you say Martin was a thug for doing the same thing?  A grown man was following him.  He was a teenager, and we know teens do not always have the best judgment or impulse control, especially when scared.  

This is not a "liberal" "conservative" issue as you try to make it out to be. It is a tragedy a senseless death that could have easily been avoided.

There is no evidence he was a thug.     :nuts:

This was a teenager who was scared that a strange adult man was stalking him.   :nuts:

You do not claim Zimmerman is a thug for trying to defend himself.  Why do you say Martin was a thug for doing the same thing?  A grown man was following him.  He was a teenager, and we know teens do not always have the best judgment or impulse control, especially when scared.  

This is not a "liberal" "conservative" issue as you try to make it out to be. It is a tragedy a senseless death that could have easily been avoided.

There is a preponderance of evidence to show the kind of deviant and reprehensible young man Trayvon Martin was.  Would you let your daughters go out to dinner with @No_LIMIT_NI**A?  

At 6 feet 2 inches and high on drugs, little Trayvon was afraid of nobody, especially some cracker, he said so, but you either missed those statements or dismiss them to protect your worldview.

The left made this a political issue.  Ironically, it's the conservatives who've sided with the Democrat Zimmerman since the left had egg on their face for thinking he was white.  Just five minutes of journalistic work would have shown them otherwise and then they could have sensationalized some other case.

Edited by swathdiver

Meanwhile, black preachers across the land are calling for blacks to protest this weekend in "peaceful" marches. In their own comments they give away their true goal, which is a new "civil rights" movement which they hope to use to push their agenda, gain more millions of dollars in government hand outs, and gain political clout.

Meanwhile, black preachers across the land are calling for blacks to protest this weekend in "peaceful" marches. In their own comments they give away their true goal, which is a new "civil rights" movement which they hope to use to push their agenda, gain more millions of dollars in government hand outs, and gain political clout.

By and large, they long ago traded God for Government.  It's an awful tragedy.

Meanwhile, black preachers across the land are calling for blacks to protest this weekend in "peaceful" marches. In their own comments they give away their true goal, which is a new "civil rights" movement which they hope to use to push their agenda, gain more millions of dollars in government hand outs, and gain political clout.

They could try threatening to secede. Works for Quebec...