• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

You guys want to reach the lost too right? Hymms only will not do it. I do like Hymms my self. 

The actual roll of the local church is to worship God together, fellowship and be built up in the Word; not a place to try and attract the lost. It's the members of the local church, after being built up together in the services, Sunday school and Bible studies, who are to "go and make disciples".

• Members

You know, I couldn't agree more.  But It;s not just a near disaster; it's a major disaster.This world system has slowly taken men's clothing, professions, even hobbies and given them to women. We have woman soldiers, police officers, woman preachers....then an increasing number are going big game hunting....girls hunting deer with bow and arrow; those kinds of things. That's a MAN THING! No wonder we have so many sodomite sissies prissing around with earrings.....we've raised our little girls to be like boys until they have taken all the man stuff until there is little distinction between gender roles.  I'm THANKFUL that my Wife and Daughter have no desire whatsover to PREACH, join the Army, or go out into the woods and kill something: In the Bible we read about "mighty men of valour"....I haven't come across any "mighty women" in there yet......man stuff

Did this thread go off topic? 

Right, men now do women things & women now do man things, not caring for the role God gave them.

Plus many families have found they can fulfill many of their wants if both husband & wife bring in the bacon. Excuse me, its no longer about bringing in bacon, its about fulfilling every little want.

Off topic, we are talking about music, aren't we?

• Members

But we have talent and wonderful tools.  :woohoo:

I don't go to church to be entertained. I go to be fed, led and preached to. If I wanted entertainment musically I'd go to a concert. Church is not for entertainment. That's why I quit my last church, when it started, I was fed, led, and preached to but now it's just a rock n roll concert in the dark with supposedly Christian lyrics repeated over and over and over. Very shallow. No Bibles needed. But very entertaining if your 16.

Edited by lefton

• Members

I don't go to church to be entertained. I go to be fed, led and preached to. If I wanted entertainment musically I'd go to a concert. Church is not for entertainment. That's why I quit my last church, when it started, I was fed, led, and preached to but now it's just a rock n roll concert in the dark with supposedly Christian lyrics repeated over and over and over. Very shallow. No Bibles needed. But very entertaining if your 16.

Sad to say many churches have turned into entertainment centers. And they have to keep coming up with new & different entertainment in order to keep their members. For them Jesus is just not enough.

• Members

The actual roll of the local church is to worship God together, fellowship and be built up in the Word; not a place to try and attract the lost. It's the members of the local church, after being built up together in the services, Sunday school and Bible studies, who are to "go and make disciples".[/quote

And soul winning, missions plus works, but not for salvation.

• Members

Church is for salvation.  Those Christians who do not feel confident or are "scared" to share the gospel can invite their family and friends and hopefully they will hear good, sound preaching and get saved.  I don't think the music will much matter to these people as far as "getting saved".  But for the rest of the Christians who have the confidence of Christ and the boldness of Peter, they are to "go tell" not to "go invite". Church is for the fellowship of believers, not for the lost to hear a concert. 

• Members

As I said, it's the call of all believers to go forth and share the Gospel; that's soul winning, that's missions, that brings the lost to salvation.

A lost person who visits a Bible preaching church can indeed come to salvation, but the main purpose of church services isn't as a place for the lost to gather (though they are always welcome to come hear the Word) so church services shouldn't be designed with the idea of trying to attract the lost, but rather to give opportunity for believers to gather in fellowship, corporate prayer and worship of their God, and to hear biblical preaching to build them up in Christ to be His effective servants in the world.

As had been pointed out already, if a church is rightly preaching the Word, if a lost person enters that church the Holy Ghost can use that preached Word (faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God) to bring them to salvation in Christ.

We read in Acts how the lost were reached by believers sharing Christ with them, and THEN they gathered with the believers. We don't see examples of local churches trying to draw the lost to their gathering together (church), of thinking of some way to get the lost to their "church", but rather the church serving as the place of feeding the flock on the Word and training them to go forth to the lost.

Too many churches, especially in the Western nations, have lost focus of the purpose of the local church gathering. Instead of feeding the flock so they grow in Christlikeness and are His effective servants sharing the Gospel wherever they go, many churches today work to become known for entertaining music, plays and soft preaching. Their flocks are not getting fed, they are not growing in Christian maturity, they are not going forth spreading the Gospel because they think that's what the church is for, they think they done all they need to do by attending or maybe inviting someone to the show (their church).

There is a church about 25 miles from here that is very much like this. They have all sorts of entertaining music, sometimes they have "drama skits", the preaching (if it can even be called that) is like more like a motivational speech and the Gospel presented is so watered down one could get the idea all a person needs to do is believe God is real, say they believe Jesus is real and they are good with God. Few, if any, are actually getting saved in this church and if there are any believers in the church they aren't getting fed anything but heavily watered down milk so they remain immature in Christ. The vast majority are simply going through worldly motions with a coating of Christianity which gives them a false sense of security, which is very dangerous because since they think they are now good with God and heavenbound they are resistant to the actual Gospel if they ever hear it.

If a lost person wants to attend a church service, that's fine, but the church services shouldn't be geared to trying to draw the lost in to be entertained.

• Members

Not to entertain I agree, for everything that is being done is done unto the Lord. But the church is not for the Saints only, than this will be called a Social Cub. The churches job is to reach the lost for Jesus Christ, then to feed then Sheeps, and worship with songs and thanks giving, Supporting His work, with your time, talents, and money, Tithe and Offerings.

:)

• Members

Writing music and leading music are different things.

Women teaching men through songs they wrote!!! Are you sure that's okay??? :biggrin:

It may also depend upon just what is meant by "leading music". I've noticed that has a very different meaning from one church to the next.