• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Moderators

We have a particular church in town, here's the scene (not speculative, factual based on statements by pastor and assistant pastor of said church).
The local SBC church closed, one of the prominent members wanted it to continue so he bought our building (we purchased the old RLDS building - there is no longer a Mormon church here at all). He got a Wesleyan pastor from a community church nearby to pastor, the pastor's wife became the song leader and he became assistant pastor. The SBC wouldn't accept them due to the Wesleyan pastor, the ABC already had a church here, nobody else (Baptist) would have them.

Sooooooo, they list themselves as an Independent Baptist Church. :icon_confused::bang::bonk:

Why in the world don't they just bill themselves as a community church?

• Members

The Lord has blessed our little church greatly over the years and our women do sing in the choir and at the pulpit.  None preach or have authority over men.  The Lord is still answering our prayers and the work of the Holy Ghost in their lives is evident.  You're out of context and therefore wrong DeDi.

• Members

We had our Holiday Bible Club last week, led by a team from the Carey Baptist Church. About 15 men & women,& about 60 children each day, mostly from non-Christian homes. (RC & South Asian.)

All went smoothly & talks & songs were well received.

BUT ..... I was asked to play one song for the Sunday service by Pastor. The words were OK:

VERSE 1
No one is good
No one is holy before God
I need someone to cleanse me
No one is pure
No one is righteous in Your sight
I need someone to save me
But I’m so glad You died and rose again
For helpless sinners like me

CHORUS
What a mighty, mighty Saviour You are
You can wash away my sin
You can change my heart within

VERSE 2
Sin is too strong
For me to conquer on my own
I need someone to help me
I am too weak
I cannot change my evil heart

Credits:
Words and music by Mark Altrogge
© 2004 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI)

I did not like the youtube version - CCM - but I was given the music to play on my organ/keyboard. Cut out the guitar & the American accent & I hoped it would be acceptable for worship - even though there was no opportunity for practice, & most of the adults didn't know it. It was awful - especially as Pastor tried to lead against me.

The trouble with much modern stuff is not the notes, or even the tune, but the gaps - empty bars, ties across the bar lines, etc. These songs things are written by & for singer-songwriters to lead from the guitar, supported by percussion. Organists sometimes have trouble counting verses, but counting the empty beats is another problem and knowing when to sing the next line is too much of a challenge. And we do NOT need a worship leader :verymad:

• Members

You may as well have said, "...and can too scriptural be a stumbling block?"  Well, for some it is unfortunately. They would rather attend rock and roll, cotton candy, make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside sermons than the truth of God's word. If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.

You sound wishy-washy in your beliefs, too willing to bend to accommodate itching ears. :eusa_naughty:

It may sound so, but I'm not. I believe the leader of the the church and home should be a man. Men pastors and preachers only. If you invited me to your church and a woman preached, I would listen to her, not like many here would do. Because they are afraid to be seen or their traditions. If you were sick in bed, would you not accept a special prayer from a women that serve God?  There are baptist that are extremes and those that are too easy and changing everyday. I am firm and do understand well that the preacher must be a man.    Wishy-Washy?   :eusa_naughty:

• Members

If you invited me to your church and a woman preached, I would listen to her, not like many here would do. Because they are afraid to be seen or their traditions. 

“He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.” John 14:24

“If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:” – Psalm 66:18

“If any man …consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.” – 1 Timothy 6:3-5

“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.” – Romans 16:17

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?” – 2 Corinthians 6:14

• Members

“He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.” John 14:24

“If any man …consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.” – 1 Timothy 6:3-5

“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.” – Romans 16:17

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?” – 2 Corinthians 6:14

Amen

• Members

It may sound so, but I'm not. I believe the leader of the the church and home should be a man. Men pastors and preachers only. If you invited me to your church and a woman preached, I would listen to her, not like many here would do. Because they are afraid to be seen or their traditions. If you

were sick in bed, would you not accept a special prayer from a women that serve God?  There are baptist that are extremes and those that are too easy and changing everyday. I am firm and do understand well that the preacher must be a man.    Wishy-Washy?   :eusa_naughty:

You misunderstood my post, I wasn't referring to women in leadership roles. I thought you were referring to the traditional church service and the music.

• Members

Good post, all these verses are for those that are not preaching the gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ. Also those that are trying to work their ways to Heaven,withdraw thyself.

• Moderators

We had our Holiday Bible Club last week, led by a team from the Carey Baptist Church. About 15 men & women,& about 60 children each day, mostly from non-Christian homes. (RC & South Asian.)

BUT ..... I was asked to play one song for the Sunday service by Pastor. The words were OK:

VERSE 1
No one is good
No one is pure

CHORUS
You can wash away my sin

VERSE 2
Sin is too strong
I am too weak

Credits:

I did not like the youtube version - CCM - but I was given the music to play on my organ/keyboard. Cut out the guitar & the American accent & I hoped it would be acceptable for worship - even though there was no opportunity for practice, & most of the adults didn't know it. It was awful - especially as Pastor tried to lead against me.

The trouble with much modern stuff is not the notes, or even the tune, but the gaps - empty bars, ties across the bar lines, etc. These songs things are written by & for singer-songwriters to lead from the guitar, supported by percussion. Organists sometimes have trouble counting verses, but counting the empty beats is another problem and knowing when to sing the next line is too much of a challenge. And we do NOT need a worship leader :verymad:

I describe much of it as "stop and go traffic" in music.

• Members

VERSE 1
No one is good
No one is pure

CHORUS
You can wash away my sin

VERSE 2
Sin is too strong
I am too weak

Credits:

It is a technical issue that is often ignored, that not all Godly music works as congregational singing.

It is possible to find songs that tick all the boxes as to content, writer, and general style, and yet they don't work as a group song.
Beautiful when sung by one or a duet, but not when everyone joins in.

Yet many times a songleader will do it because it ticks the boxes and doesn't go against the right.
But it sounds shocking. ...

• Moderators

It may sound so, but I'm not. I believe the leader of the the church and home should be a man. Men pastors and preachers only. If you invited me to your church and a woman preached, I would listen to her, not like many here would do. Because they are afraid to be seen or their traditions. If you were sick in bed, would you not accept a special prayer from a women that serve God? There are baptist that are extremes and those that are too easy and changing everyday. I am firm and do understand well that the preacher must be a man. Wishy-Washy? :eusa_naughty:

No, I would not refuse to listen to a woman preacher because I'm afraid of others or because of tradition. I would walk out on a woman preacher because she is acting in direct disobedience to God. Were I to stay, my silence would be acquiescence to her disobedience, and I may also be guilty, by my example, of providing a stumbling block to those who may be watching my response. Furthermore, I would expect no blessing of God on her preaching. He would certainly not teach me anything through my disobedient listening should I stay.

• Members

No, I would not refuse to listen to a woman preacher because I'm afraid of others or because of tradition. I would walk out on a woman preacher because she is acting in direct disobedience to God. Were I to stay, my silence would be acquiescence to her disobedience, and I may also be guilty, by my example, of providing a stumbling block to those who may be watching my response. Furthermore, I would expect no blessing of God on her preaching. He would certainly not teach me anything through my disobedient listening should I stay.

Me too.

Many ears ago Linda & I visited a church & was shocked, a woman was teaching the adult class. In the adult class were 7 to 9 men, & maybe 9 to 12 women. Among the class members was a retired pastor who had moved back home after retiring. I set though it in shock, I felt uncomfortable. I've thought about that event many times since, if it happened again I would walk out of the class.

• Members

So, what happened to the original thread subject here? Music in the IFB churches? We got lost somewhere along the way.

It seems as if we were all listening to our own tune!

We sang two of my favorites in church Sunday: "And Can It Be", "Amazing Grace". A piano was the only instrument involved.