• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

The problem with the men are, they are not doing the job and the women's are taking over. Inside the church and outside the church. Work or at the home.

Men have moved away from God's truths and desires and succombed to the World's (Feminism for example).  This movement has enticed rebellious women to leave their first estate and do the things that man traditionally does.  The net effect has been a near world wide disastor.

Being an Independent, Fundamental, Bible Believing Baptist I would never set foot inside a church with a woman teaching the men.  That church is in plain rebellion and if it has not done so already, lost the attributes that make it one of Jesus Christ's New Testament Churches of the kind He died for.  Thank God he's given me the wisdom to discern such errors!

• Members

I encourage brethren to study together, even outside of the assembly-I see nothing scripturally wrong with that.

Well, we see Aquila and Priscilla both, together teaching Apollos-outside of the assembly I see nothing wrong with it, particularly, in such a case as this, when she is doiing so with her husband, under his authority. However, I also see nothing wrong with it otherwise, particularly in the giving of the gospel.

Agreed.

I have encountered some IFBs who hold the position a woman is never to teach a man anywhere, or anything, including wives to their husbands, teachers in schools, etc.

• Moderators

Agreed.

I have encountered some IFBs who hold the position a woman is never to teach a man anywhere, or anything, including wives to their husbands, teachers in schools, etc.

Well, considering we also have IFB's out there who think its wrong for a man to have facial hair or be overweight, its no surprise. Sometimes I am afraid that IFB has become a catch-all for a lot of weird thinking out there

• Members

Well, considering we also have IFB's out there who think its wrong for a man to have facial hair or be overweight, its no surprise. Sometimes I am afraid that IFB has become a catch-all for a lot of weird thinking out there

That's one of the "prices" we pay for being independent. Any church can call themselves IFB and any IFB church/pastor can go off in their own direction. Unfortunately, the odd ones often taint the rest of us and folks (both saved and unsaved) tend to remember the odd and bad things more than they do the good and right.

I've heard some IFBs trying to say facial hair on a man is a sign of rebellion, is of the devil and all sorts of other unbiblical things.

Others on here have pointed out how some IFB pastors set themselves higher than they ought, claiming to be what Scripture doesn't say, even to the point of claiming that ones blessings are based upon their loyalty to the pastor, that even private matters are to be run by the pastor for approval, that to question the pastor is to rebel against God, that if one goes against the pastor or leaves HIS church they will be outside God's blessing and curses will come upon them. While I've never had to deal with such a pastor, I know of a few folks who have.

At one time if one said they were IFB a person would probably have a pretty good idea of what that meant. Today that's no longer true because while there are still some solid IFB churches, there are also now many oddball, compromised and even liberal churches out there that carry the IFB name. We have to be ready to explain our positions and differentiate and separate ourselves from those other IFB churches some folks are more familiar with.

• Moderators

We have a particular church in town, here's the scene (not speculative, factual based on statements by pastor and assistant pastor of said church).

The local SBC church closed, one of the prominent members wanted it to continue so he bought our building (we purchased the old RLDS building - there is no longer a Mormon church here at all). He got a Wesleyan pastor from a community church nearby to pastor, the pastor's wife became the song leader and he became assistant pastor. The SBC wouldn't accept them due to the Wesleyan pastor, the ABC already had a church here, nobody else (Baptist) would have them.

Sooooooo, they list themselves as an Independent Baptist Church.                 :icon_confused:  :bang:  :bonk:      

• Members

Do you mean Children's Church or Sunday School, or both?

I don't see a problem with a woman teaching Children's Church and/or Children's Sunday School classes

That's the problem! It's not ours to decide. Does the Bible only mention women teaching men? When the Bible is open for interpretation that's where opinions differ and scripture based arguments are only valid if they validate your interpretation. (not you in particular).

• Members

How traditional is a traditional Baptist church, and can too traditional be a stumbling block?

You may as well have said, "...and can too scriptural be a stumbling block?"  Well, for some it is unfortunately. They would rather attend rock and roll, cotton candy, make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside sermons than the truth of God's word. If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.

You sound wishy-washy in your beliefs, too willing to bend to accommodate itching ears. :eusa_naughty: