• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

My choice for this morning - all from the new Christian Hymns hymnal.

54 The LORD is King
577 I am trusting thee, Lord Jesus
433 By Christ redeemed, in Christ restored
(Communion)
533 Heal us, Immanuel, hear our prayer

• Moderators

I admit to anger, because CCM is one of the primary tools Satan uses today to destroy formerly godly churches. As Glory Land mentioned, the youth are encouraged to take roles in the church, but they are often apparently NOT overseen and given direction as to what is appropriate. We are so excited to get the younger folks into the work, which I am as well, but they need direction. One title for a pastor is 'Bishop", meaning 'Overseer"-we are to oversee all that is done in the church by lower levels of leadership-each leader in a church does not carry the same authority as the pastor-he is the one who has been tasked with overseeing what goes on-when the deacons were voted into place in Acts, they were under the authority of the Apostles, not just sent to do as they thought best. So our youth and even not-so-young leadership-they MUST be led, must be under authority, or the church will fall from where it stood. The pastor must lead.

BY the way, a modern hymn is not necessarily the same as a contemporary hymn. One it referring to time of writing, while the other refers to the style of the time. One if faddish, the other is not necessarily so.

• Members

I admit to anger, because CCM is one of the primary tools Satan uses today to destroy formerly godly churches. As Glory Land mentioned, the youth are encouraged to take roles in the church, but they are often apparently NOT overseen and given direction as to what is appropriate. We are so excited to get the younger folks into the work, which I am as well, but they need direction. One title for a pastor is 'Bishop", meaning 'Overseer"-we are to oversee all that is done in the church by lower levels of leadership-each leader in a church does not carry the same authority as the pastor-he is the one who has been tasked with overseeing what goes on-when the deacons were voted into place in Acts, they were under the authority of the Apostles, not just sent to do as they thought best. So our youth and even not-so-young leadership-they MUST be led, must be under authority, or the church will fall from where it stood. The pastor must lead.

BY the way, a modern hymn is not necessarily the same as a contemporary hymn. One it referring to time of writing, while the other refers to the style of the time. One if faddish, the other is not necessarily so.

Your last paragraph sounds similar to what Pastor Chappell says.

There is a local church that many like because of their active children/youth programs. I've visited the church and know several who attend and many more who send their children there. True enough, they have a very active children/youth program, but both are driven by the children/youth, both are greatly lacking in leading them to Christ, both are lacking in discipling, and both are entertainment driven.

Many used to constantly ask me why I don't send my children there or outright say I'm wrong for not sending my children there. They don't think our church children/youth program is good enough; mostly because it's smaller but they blame that on our lack of willingness to turn our children/youth programs into entertainment clubs. Now that I'm down to one child still at home and they've grown tired of hearing my biblical reasons for wanting my children in our churches programs rather than the worldly entertainment driven stuff at the other church, it's rare anyone says anything to me about it all anymore.

• Moderators

Many used to constantly ask me why I don't send my children there or outright say I'm wrong for not sending my children there. They don't think our church children/youth program is good enough; mostly because it's smaller but they blame that on our lack of willingness to turn our children/youth programs into entertainment clubs. Now that I'm down to one child still at home and they've grown tired of hearing my biblical reasons for wanting my children in our churches programs rather than the worldly entertainment driven stuff at the other church, it's rare anyone says anything to me about it all anymore.

Funny, part of my preaching this morning was on exactly this-alomst sounds like a line right out of the sermon!

• Members

If it sounds like the music on your local rock station then it's sinful, worldly music and has no place in a New Testament Church.  That's not being angry, that's bible doctrine.

If the words are right and yet it causes your torso to move because of the beat, that's sinful music and has no place in a New Testament Church.

If the words are right and the music is right and yet was written by a homosexual Catholic man who believes Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians too, that too is sinful and has no place in a New Testament Church.  Again, that's not being mean or angry, it's just bible doctrine.

The singing is some churches makes it seem if they have not been:

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Transformed by the renewing of their minds singing worldly. 

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

While failing to prove all things & holding fast to that which is good & acceptable, abstaining from the appearances of evil.

• Members

Its worldly and carnal is what it is-it seeks to imitate the sensual music of the world, bringing with it its culture and inherent rebellion.

That's true, the local 1st Baptist Church has held some events at the city park, I really don't know what to call them. They always invited singers with the boys, or men, whichever, having long hair, & dressed very shabby much like Hells Angels, the girls, or women, dressed very immodest while moving around very immodest. They seem to imitated the rock bands, dopers, worldly people, worldly music & call it godly reaching the lost.

And from time to time they invited such bands into their church to play the very same music during regular services.

And having done this many of their teenagers dress as those band members, both boys & girls.

So sad.

• Members

I think we are talking about many differant levels of music, how old are the great hymmnals that we sing today? 125 years maybe, there were music before they came out. Remember I am not against Hymms.

Not necessarily, many were written throughout the 1900s and there's plenty of Godly music being produced today.  One just has to have the discernment and desire to identify it and then get it.  I enjoy my copy of Majesty Hymns for example.  While I have not vetted everything (all music) from The Wilds Christian Camp, they sell Godly music too.

• Members

It is o.k to get angry for the right reason. My short reply, I am using my phone. I am not sure about those that say it is a sin, the louder music. I say, if you cannot here the words of the songs they are no good.

Would you consider the song, In Christ Alone by Townend and Getty as Godly music?

• Members

Would you consider the song, In Christ Alone by Townend and Getty as Godly music?

Godly words, and an acceptable tune suitable for worship when played simply - but it is often treated as rock - a vehicle for the worship leader and band to show off. 

I introduced this hymn last week:

Creation sings the Father's song;
He calls the sun to wake the dawn
And run the course of day
Till evening comes in crimson rays.
His fingerprints in flakes of snow,
His breath upon this spinning globe,
He charts the eagle's flight;
Commands the newborn baby's cry.

Hallelujah!
Let all creation stand and sing,
"Hallelujah!"
Fill the earth with songs of worship;
Tell the wonders of creation's King.

Creation gazed upon His face;
The ageless One in time's embrace
Unveiled the Father's plan
Of reconciling God and man.
A second Adam walked the earth,
Whose blameless life would break the curse,
Whose death would set us free
To live with Him eternally.

Creation longs for His return,
When Christ shall reign upon the earth;
The bitter wars that rage
Are birth pains of a coming age.
When He renews the land and sky,
All heaven will sing and earth reply
With one resplendent theme:
The glory of our God and King!

Keith & Kristyn Getty and Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2008 Thankyou Music

CCL 1418463

• Members

Godly words, and an acceptable tune suitable for worship when played simply - but it is often treated as rock - a vehicle for the worship leader and band to show off. 

I introduced this hymn last week:

Creation sings the Father's song;
He calls the sun to wake the dawn
And run the course of day
Till evening comes in crimson rays.
His fingerprints in flakes of snow,
His breath upon this spinning globe,
He charts the eagle's flight;
Commands the newborn baby's cry.

Hallelujah!
Let all creation stand and sing,
"Hallelujah!"
Fill the earth with songs of worship;
Tell the wonders of creation's King.

Creation gazed upon His face;
The ageless One in time's embrace
Unveiled the Father's plan
Of reconciling God and man.
A second Adam walked the earth,
Whose blameless life would break the curse,
Whose death would set us free
To live with Him eternally.

Creation longs for His return,
When Christ shall reign upon the earth;
The bitter wars that rage
Are birth pains of a coming age.
When He renews the land and sky,
All heaven will sing and earth reply
With one resplendent theme:
The glory of our God and King!

Keith & Kristyn Getty and Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2008 Thankyou Music

CCL 1418463

I've never heard "In Christ Alone" treated like a rock song. That song is a very traditional style hymn. If someone tried to rock that hymn up I can't imagine it coming out any better than when they do that with "Amazing Grace".

I'm not familiar with the other song, the one with the lyrics posted above.

• Members

I've never heard "In Christ Alone" treated like a rock song. That song is a very traditional style hymn. If someone tried to rock that hymn up I can't imagine it coming out any better than when they do that with "Amazing Grace".

I'm not familiar with the other song, the one with the lyrics posted above.