• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

Are contemporary songs and music welcome in your church?

Most of the Independent Baptist Churches sing using hymnals only?

One more question, is it a sin to aloud any type of music into the church?

These questions will help me and others, thank you. 

We're an English Independent baptist church, so I can't speak for "most." You will find that this forum actively discourages CCM and links to such songs on youtube. There are, however, plenty of contemporary songs and music that are Biblical, & hymn style, and would be acceptable to our churches. You will also get forum comments that will totally condemn the use of modern songs.

I use modern songs with caution - and play them "straight" using piano or organ register. I do not approve the use of a pop group to lead worship. We use mostly a traditional hymn book. Actually many CCM songs are written by a singer/songwriter and are very difficult to sing without hymn. Guitar interludes and repeats mean that the congregation cannot follow without a strong lead.

Are you familiar with the Reformed "regulative principle" which insists on worship being as commanded in NT Scripture? The full application of this leads to singing only Psalms, unaccompanied. The quality of the old Scottish Metrical Psalms - forced into metre is not generally appreciated in Reformed churches, and hymns and Psalm & Scripture paraphrases are widely used.

We've recently welcomed people from Pentecostal background into our fellowship. They have expressed appreciation of hymns played simply. It is surprising that many in the church do not know the standard hymns we've been singing for centuries.

• Members

My family and I are now attending a Spanish Baptist church again, we were members of a English Baptist church for many years. We have gone back into the Spanish services which are open to all types of Christian music here. We still sing hymnals too. I am still adjusting to the difference in the worship and participating in the music. The youth are also involve in the music ministry, this is where I can see that there is a difference in traditional and contemporary music. We are lousing the youth with hymnals only. They are the future of our true faith and the sharing of the gospel of Christ.

• Members

My family and I are now attending a Spanish Baptist church again, we were members of a English Baptist church for many years. We have gone back into the Spanish services which are open to all types of Christian music here. We still sing hymnals too. I am still adjusting to the difference in the worship and participating in the music. The youth are also involve in the music ministry, this is where I can see that there is a difference in traditional and contemporary music. We are lousing the youth with hymnals only. They are the future of our true faith and the sharing of the gospel of Christ.

That, of course, is the heart of the problem. We do not want the "future" to come prematurely  by the promotion of youth as worship leaders, etc, before they are taught & understand the true faith. Let the children come in and take over the "music" with their pop groups and you risk losing the mature Christians.

• Members

If their hearts are backslidden then it doesn't matter what music you have in the church so you might as well stick with the "old, boring hymns". Why? Because with those songs you'll be ministering to those who love the Lord instead of trying to use worldly CCM to placate a bunch of backslidders who's hearts have left the church a long time ago. This backslidders will eventually physically leave no matter what music you play. Don't cast your perils to please the swine.

I'm not a pastor and never will be but this is how I see it.

Oh, maybe let your church decide on if you should have musical instruments or not. Just make sure you keep it in moderation that's all. At the end of the day you are the one who will give account.

• Members

Being independent, each IFB church sets their own musical standards. Within IFB churches one might find CCM, adapted CCM, hymns (both traditional and new), Southern Gospel (both traditional and new), Bluegrass Gospel, Country, bands, orchestras, various styles of choirs and much etc.

• Members

If it sounds like the music on your local rock station then it's sinful, worldly music and has no place in a New Testament Church.  That's not being angry, that's bible doctrine.

If the words are right and yet it causes your torso to move because of the beat, that's sinful music and has no place in a New Testament Church.

If the words are right and the music is right and yet was written by a homosexual Catholic man who believes Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians too, that too is sinful and has no place in a New Testament Church.  Again, that's not being mean or angry, it's just bible doctrine.

• Members

No anger,  just don't care for worldly CCM in church.

Remember, the liberal SBC is losing members, losing children to, & many of them are very liberal & use CCM.

If you want a church full of people just drop God's truths, & especially take the name Baptist off of your Church, & likely you will get them, even many of the younger generation too.

• Members

If it sounds like the music on your local rock station then it's sinful, worldly music and has no place in a New Testament Church.  That's not being angry, that's bible doctrine.

If the words are right and yet it causes your torso to move because of the beat, that's sinful music and has no place in a New Testament Church.

If the words are right and the music is right and yet was written by a homosexual Catholic man who believes Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians too, that too is sinful and has no place in a New Testament Church.  Again, that's not being mean or angry, it's just bible doctrine.

Could you explain what you mean by "causes your torso to move"?

• Members

No anger,  just don't care for worldly CCM in church.

Remember, the liberal SBC is losing members, losing children to, & many of them are very liberal & use CCM.

If you want a church full of people just drop God's truths, & especially take the name Baptist off of your Church, & likely you will get them, even many of the younger generation too.

One thing I liked about the sermon posted by Pastor Chappell was his continually making the point that in church it's the preaching that is to be of most importance. Nothing, not music or anything else, should be more important than sound biblical preaching.

Boldly preach the Word of God, proclaim the whole counsel of God, read aloud the Word of God and trust the Lord for increase in the congregation.

A circus can draw a crowd but that certainly doesn't mean we should paint three rings on the platform and employ clowns to draw a crowd.

Preach the Word, be in much prayer, rely upon the leading of the Holy Ghost, trust the Lord.