• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The "sons Of God" In Genesis 6:2 & 4 Are Angelic Beings?

• Members

You have yet to provide Scripture to prove your theory.

In the eleven instances where the term sons of God are found, context nowhere says they are angels.

Angels are not mentioned in any of the Old Testament chapters that the term sons of God is found in. Genesis 6; Job 1,2,& 38

Job 38:6  Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7  When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Really? WHEN, all the sons of God shouted for joy. When was that exactly? Adam wasn´t created yet, so who was it there that was shouting for joy? Who are these stars? Are they men? Are they some unknown creation as you surmised? Hehehe.

Job 38:4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. God talking to a man, the irony is that man wasn´t there. That is the point of the question. THERE WERE NO MEN IN JOB 38:4-7.

So who were they? You have failed to prove who they were neither can you prove who they are not.  Did any man see God create the world?  Of course not.

Is there anywhere else the scriptures call angels stars?

If there is, could these stars be the angels you refuse to admit exist in Job 38?

Yet you continue to insist they are angels.

Where is your proof?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny, i don't see the word "angels" in Job 38... Wonder why that is?

Oh, i know... Calvary wasn't the inspired author of that book.

The passage does not say the sons of God were angels. Why do you continue to insist they are? What Biblical proof do you have that says the sons of God in that passage were angels?

• Members

Not only that he (Paul) called the OT people sons of men, not sons of God. There is no new birth in the OT. There are no sons of God in the OT in the John 1:12-13 sense. That is a false doctrine. Take it up with Paul not me. He said, not I.

I never said OT folks weren´t saved, so build a straw man somewhere else my friend. I said they are not sons of God in the sense of John 1:12-13.

John 1 says that those that received Jesus were given power to BECOME sons of God, even to them THAT BELIEVE ON HIS NAME.

David called Jesus Lord? Really? That´s silly and Psalms 110 didn´t say anything that David said, David attributed the saying to God. So God called Jesus Lord, not David. You have some serious reading problems.

To say Job and David were born again believers in the name of Jesus is the just plain ignorance.

Having confidence and hope in God is not being born again. David was not regenerated. Job was never regenerated by the Spirit of God.

No one looked forward to the cross outside of the Father and Jesus.

Actually no

In Psalm 110 God is telling Jesus he;s going to make his enemies his footstool but it is David who is referring to them BOTH as "the LORD" and "my Lord". God is not calling Jesus "my Lord" in that sentence or any other.

Again Jesus speaking.......

44The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Again I ask, who was this "my redeemer"  that Job spoke about?

• Members

Actually no

In Psalm 110 God is telling Jesus he;s going to make his enemies his footstool but it is David who is referring to them BOTH as "the LORD" and "my Lord". God is not calling Jesus "my Lord" in that sentence or any other.

Again Jesus speaking.......

44The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Luk 20:42  And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand -

nothing more or nothing less is meant by the sense of saying David. The quote is attributed to the Father,

Mat 22:43  He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

Again, it is not referring to any belief of David, simply what was said in the Psalms by David under the Spirit.

1Pe 1:11  Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
1Pe 1:12  Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Just because they prophesied some things is no proof nor indication they even understood exactly what the ramifications were of their own prophecies.

Again I ask, who was this "my redeemer"  that Job spoke about?

He is Jesus of course, what of it? You attribute an understanding of New testament salvation to prophetic utterances made by individuals in the OT that they did not posses.

• Members

Funny, i don't see the word "angels" in Job 38... Wonder why that is?

Oh, i know... Calvary wasn't the inspired author of that book.

The passage does not say the sons of God were angels. Why do you continue to insist they are? What Biblical proof do you have that says the sons of God in that passage were angels?

Answering questions with a question is a sign of an inability to respond.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Mr Calvary, my only question to you is to ask whether you might consider answering and asking questions with a measure of grace and kindness?

What I have seen here is a "reply in kind" format in his posts.

When dealt with in a thoughtful, civil manner he has responded similarly though he disagreed with the respondent. Case in point, Scott Markle.

When dealt with in a caustic or snide manner, he has responded more sharply. Case in point, Standing Firm.

• Members

I must differ with you, because the Bible differs with you, on this issue:

Gen 9:5&6 "And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

The who reason murder is such a heinous sin is because man is created in, and maintains, the image of God. If it only applied to Adam, we would be nothing more than as the cattle and beasts of the earth. It is only His image that separates us.

1Cor 11:7 "For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

Notice, man IS the image and glory of God.  So, no, Seth did not lack the image of God.

Right.  And the Apostle James also stresses that we are made in God's image:

James 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

Similitude is translated from the Greek word, "homoiosis" and means "resemblance."

• Members

What I have seen here is a "reply in kind" format in his posts.

When dealt with in a thoughtful, civil manner he has responded similarly though he disagreed with the respondent. Case in point, Scott Markle.
When dealt with in a caustic or snide manner, he has responded more sharply. Case in point, Standing Firm.

actually, i see just the opposite in post #89 by Calvary in his reply to Heartstrings.

The reply, "Says you" was a caustic reply to Heartstrings despite the fact that Heartstrings was not caustic in his posts.

• Members

It is often taught among Independent Fundamental Baptists that the phrase "sons of God" in Genesis 6:2 & 4 are angelic beings.  What definitional, grammatical, contextual, or Biblical evidence supports this viewpoint?

(Note:  I am seeking for a thoughtful Biblical discussion, not for a contentious fleshly argument.  Please maintain a gracious spirit throughout this discussion.  Thank you for your consideration.)

to date, none of those who teach that sons of God are angelic beings. Neither by definition, nor by grammar, nor by context, nor with any Biblical evidence..

Their saying that such-and-such verse is referring to angels has never been shown to be fact.

I know you see the sons of God in the first two chapters of Job to be angels, but i believe Heartstrings gives a valid reason why this cannot be the case.

• Members

to date, none of those who teach that sons of God are angelic beings. Neither by definition, nor by grammar, nor by context, nor with any Biblical evidence..

Their saying that such-and-such verse is referring to angels has never been shown to be fact.

I know you see the sons of God in the first two chapters of Job to be angels, but i believe Heartstrings gives a valid reason why this cannot be the case.

I have repeatedly asked for a identification of the sons of God in Job 38 and only have been responded to by snide and demeaning innuendos by Standing.

To date, neither yourself, neither Uke Mike and neither heartstrings have proffered any clear biblical response.

Job 38, states that the sons of God shouted for joy WHEN  (not because, or not due to the.. but WHEN [vs.4] God created. My question, again is, How could men be at the creation of the earth when Adam was not yet created? What sons of God exactly were there? Since there is only 5 classes of sons of God, no... wait.... I´ll concede for the moment only the 4 you have found, of the 4, which class of sons of God were present in Job 38?

Was it Adam? If it was, prove it.

Was it Israel? If it was, prove it.

Was it Jesus? If it was prove it.

Was it born again believers? If it was, prove it.

All sons of God are a direct creation of God. There is no other way to become one.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

Where the Bible is silent, silence should be observed.

Why add to the Word of God to bolster a belief that cannot be supported by Scripture?

Scripture nowhere says the sons of God were angels. Matter of fact, scripture gives more evidence that they are not angels than that they are.

Hebrews 1 doesn't identify angels as sons. And it says "all the angels" not some

And just where did i post these demeaning remarks you accuse me of?

• Members

One thing is for sure, the sons of God are not humans. The Holy Spirit pointed out that "they" had sexual intercourse with the "daughters of men (adam)", and they produced "abnormal" offspring.

The Holy Spirit put many "clues" in scripture without excessive explanations, but it is up to the reader to recognize what is being conveyed.

Archived