• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The "sons Of God" In Genesis 6:2 & 4 Are Angelic Beings?

• Members

Brother Mitchell,

In checking through a concordance, even as you challenged Brother "Irishman" to do, it appears to me that your listing is lacking some of the Biblical applications for the Biblical idea of a son or sons of God.  Excluding the mention of the "sons of God" in Genesis 6:2 & 4 because it is the specifically disputed matter in this discussion, I find the following listing:

1.  The first man Adam (Luke 3:38)

2.  Angelic Beings (Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7)

3.  The nation of Israel, as a national unit (Exodus 4:22-23; Jeremiah 31:20; Hosea 11:1)

4.  King Solomon (2 Samuel 7:14; 1 Chronicles 22:10; 28:6)

5.  Various individuals among the children of Israel (Deuteronomy 32:19; Isaiah 43:6; 45:11; Ezekiel 16:21)

6.  Jesus the Christ (various passages thoughtout both the Old and the New Testament)

7.  Born against believers (various passages throughout the New Testament)

I have to disagree and hold to the 5 already listed. Solomon is a part of Israel, he does not stand alone from it. Any of the various individuals as well, do not stand apart from national Israel.

Since we actually find four different Biblical applications for the Biblical idea of a son or sons of God in the Old Testament, and since three of those Biblical applications refer to human individuals, then the application to angelic beings from Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7 cannot be arbitrarily and summarily applied to the "sons of God" in Genesis 6:2 & 4.  In accord with other Old Testament usage for the Biblical idea, an application to human beings is a legitimate possibility within an Old Testament context.  As such, we are required to consider the actual and specific context of Genesis 6 in order to inform our understanding of this matter.

1 Angels - Job 1:6  And there was a day when the sons of the gods came together before the Lord, and the Satan came with them.

For confirmation these are not born again Christians:

Job 38:4  Where were you when I put the earth on its base? Say, if you have knowledge.
Job 38:5  By whom were its measures fixed? Say, if you have wisdom; or by whom was the line stretched out over it?
Job 38:6  On what were its pillars based, or who put down its angle-stone,
Job 38:7  When the morning stars made songs together, and all the sons of the gods gave cries of joy?

When God originally created the earth, all the sons of God shouted for joy. At that time all the sons of God were with Him, on His side, shouting for joy at the glory manifest in His creation.

2. Israel - In the future Israel will be born again in one day. Isa 43:6  I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
Isa 43:7  Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Hos 1:10  Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

3. Adam - Adam was a son of God, but Adam´s son was not.

Gen 5:1  This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2  Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3  And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Luk 3:38  Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Seth was not a son of God, he had lost the likeness of God and was born in the likeness of Adam. (So much for the "godly" line of Seth - it would be better to say the "Adamic" line, cursed, fallen and in sin)

4. The Born Again New Testament believer - I was a son of Adam, I was in Adam, made in his likeness and image. One day I repented of my sion and came to the Lord Jesus Christ, I put my faith in His finished work on Calvary and I received a brand new title.

Joh 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

I now bare the title of son of God.

5. Jesus Christ - I think we can agree to let that one stand as it is. Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten of the Father, the Son of Man, the Son of God.

Going back to Genesis 6, which of the 5 fits? To make them born again believers, one has to throw out all reason and invent the new birth where it does not exist. No one was ever born again until after the resurrection of Christ.

If the identity of the sons of God in Genesis 6 is not clearly established, this thread is just going around and around in circles.

They are angels. They could not be anything else.

God bless,

calvary

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brother "Heartstrings,"

First, allow me to state that my discussion with you thus far has only concerned the phrase "sons of God" in the particular contexts of Job 1:6 & 2:1.  I myself, as I have previously indicated, do believe that this phrase in this particular context does refer to angelic beings.  However, I hasten to add that I myself do not believe that the phrase "sons of God" in the particular context of Genesis 6:2 & 4 refers to angelic beings, but to human beings.

Second, concerning your statements above --

1.  Yes, I do believe that our adversary the devil, as "the accuser of the brethren," does indeed make his accusations before the throne of God in heaven. 

2.  Furthermore, you seem to indicate that the case of Job 1:6 & 2:1 is similar to a present day occasion, wherein believers today meet for a church service, and the devil comes in among them.  In such cases, we would recognize that the devil comes in among such a gathering of believers in order to spiritually hinder it in some fashion.  However, Job 2:1 does not indicate that Satan, in that context, came among the "sons of God" with the purpose of "accusing the brethren" or of hindering them spiritually.  Rather, Job 2:1 indicates that Satan, in that context, "came also" among the "sons of God" for the exact same purpose as those "sons of God" had come -- "to present himself before the LORD" just as they had come "to present themselves before the LORD."  If (as you seem to be suggesting) the gathering of the "sons of God" in Job 1:6 & 2:1 was some form of worship service gathering, then those "sons of God" would have been presenting themselves "before the LORD" in some manner of righteousness.  Yet Satan, that wicked devil, would not have been presenting himself "before the LORD" in some manner of righteousness.  Therefore, since Job 2:1 indicates that Satan presented himself, in that context, for the exact same purpose as the "sons of God," I would contend that the "presenting" of this context was not for some form of righteous worship "before the LORD", but was for some form of personal accounting "before the LORD."

Brother Scott,

You may call me brother Wayne if you like.

For whatever reason Satan came to "present himself", the only thing recorded that he did was to divulge his activities and to accuse Job. I did post something about the Genesis 6 account but perhaps you missed seeing it. It is in post #18

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

These are a few of the observations I've found.made so far:

#1 The Bible defines what "sons of God" are: John 1:12, Romans 8:14, Romans 8:18-19, Philippians 2:15, 1 John 3:1 and 1 John 3:2

#2, The Bible defines what "angels" are:in Hebrews 1:13-14

#3 The Bible says that no Angel can be a "son of God" in Hebrews 1:5

#4 The Book of Job uses the word "angels" in chapter 4 verse 18, but the beings in Job chapters 1,2 and 38 are called :"sons of God" 

#5 Presenting oneself "before the Lord" was done by human beings on this earth. see Exodus 34:2(God speaking to Moses) And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount. There are many more instances recorded in the Word of God.

#6 Job chapters 1 and 2 say that the "sons of God" presented themselves before the Lord and Satan came also "among them" as he does so even today. Satan was even "among them" with the Lord and the apostles. (Mattherw 16:23) And when Satan accused our brother Job before God, he was doing what he still does today as "the accuser of the brethren"

#7 Satan had been cast out of heaven as attested by the Lord Jesus, which also casts more doubt that he was accusing Job in heaven, I personally suspect that Job, being a believer and so actually one of those "sons of God" himself, was there 'presenting himself" "before the Lord" just as Abraham, David, Moses and many others recorded in the word of God did,.and that God and Satan were actually observing Job "present himself" as they had their conversation.

#8 The sons of God in Genesis 6, were also believers. see my post #18 in this thread.

#9 Someone mentioned "Israel" as a "son of God". Are they referring to Exodus 4:22-23? The nation of Israel is also called "elect" which means it was chosen of God to perform a function or purpose. One of Israel's functions was to bring the only begotten Son of God into this world and, biologically, Christ, being the "seed of the woman" and a Jew by birth, was indeed "in" the nation of Israel. Nevertheless, however you interpret that, a prophecy akin to it is in Hosea 11:1 and fulfilled in Matthew 2:15 So, I think that it is either a metaphorical reference to Christ, or a direct reference because not all the people in the nation of Israel, now or then, were or are "sons of God" by faith or otherwise.

Those are just a few observations other than the ones I mentioned in Post#18 about the sons of God in Genesis 6, but I believe that a son of God can only be someone who is begotten of God and that God is their Father. Jesus Christ is God's only begotten Son, the :"firstborn of all creation" and we are spiritually begotten of God by the Word, by grace, through faith. A son of God also cannot sin: that is, our born again, new nature, cannot sin, because it is , again "born of God".. No angel, nor any other being can have this relationship to God. They may desire to look into it, the Bible says, but they cannot. So I believe that where the Bible says "son of God", it means what it says, and where it says "angel" it means something else entirely.

• Members

Calvary, I checked and double checked, and found little evidence of what you are saying.  Can you provide scripture for all 5 of the references you give for "the sons of God"? (Not children; not A son of God; but the sons of God.)

I will look at them again though as you requested.

I just looked again; here are the eleven verses in the entire Bible (According to Strong's Concordance) that speak of "the sons of God":

Gen 6:2 and 6:4;

Job 1:6 and 2:1

Job 38:7 (MAY be angels, but not called such);

John 1:12;

Rom. 8:14 and 8:19;

Phil. 2:15;

1 John 3:1 and 2.

That's all I find.

• Moderators

Calvary said:

Seth was not a son of God, he had lost the likeness of God and was born in the likeness of Adam. (So much for the "godly" line of Seth - it would be better to say the "Adamic" line, cursed, fallen and in sin)

I must differ with you, because the Bible differs with you, on this issue:

Gen 9:5&6 "And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

The who reason murder is such a heinous sin is because man is created in, and maintains, the image of God. If it only applied to Adam, we would be nothing more than as the cattle and beasts of the earth. It is only His image that separates us.

1Cor 11:7 "For a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

Notice, man IS the image and glory of God.  So, no, Seth did not lack the image of God.

• Members

I have a problem with the "Sons of God" meeting with God being men....because Job was a contemporary of Abraham, and from what the Bible says, there really weren't that many people back then close enough with God to meet with him. And even they were not allowed to be face to face with God.

Could it be possible that God would meet with those in Paradise that had already passed on, to fellowship with them? People like Enoch and Noah at the time Satan came to discuss Job? I also feel like Satan and God had their discussion DURING this meeting, and it is ridiculous to think they discussed this right in front of other godly men that could have technically run to warn Job. I feel like this meeting had to be a Spirit meeting....angels, or passed-on saints.

Back to the original topic.... I'm still not satisfied with WHY God chose to lock up a certain isolated group of demons. These demons had to have done something especially bad for them to be locked up while the others are allowed to roam the earth until their final punishment. And these especially bad demons are, I think, going to be unleashed during the Tribulation, if I remember right, to wreck super havoc in the earth?

I don't know. I do think that the explanation of "Sons of God" is a good one, regarding them just being Christians. And then evidently since Noah was the only remaining Christian (with his family) God knew that in one more generation, the earth would be wiped clean of anything having to do God. He also knew that the lifespans were longer, and people were going to be able to have more years to plan, build, and do horrible things. So yes, that is a good explanation.

However it just sticks in my craw that there was a certain group of angels who left their first estate (ALL of the fallen angels did, so why is this group singled out?) and are chained up? They must have been extra bad ones. I feel like they probably did something really bad before the flood...but who knows.

I do feel like the Giants like Goliath were just people who had huge genes....like adrenal gland problems that were strong in those particular lines, possibly. Like Andre the Giant, but maybe they started inter-marrying to where a lot of them were born like that.

• Members

Oh and the wording does say that the Sons of God "came" to present themselves...which means they came to God somehow, not the other way around. I think most commentators generally feel these were angels, to get their marching orders, so to speak.

• Moderators

I'm afraid God just doesn't always suply explanations complete enough to satify all our curiosities, nor is He required to do so. We take what He says and we accept it-the hidden things belong to God. Now, I think its fine to speculate on it, but not demand an answer or try to make it fit with something it may not fit with. We huans are SO demanding of answers to everything, we sometimes err and create doctrines that aren't there.

The issue we are deaing with here-I think its god we discuss it-we hypothesize, we search scripture, we discuss-its sharpeneing our swords so to speak, but it was said eariler, and I agree, that the Bible may not give a clear enough, defenitive enough answer for either side to declare doctrinally one way or another-its alwats going to be based on a certain amount of speculation. Did God chain up a certain group of angels? Sure He did-He can do that and doesnt need to tell us why. Consider that the Bible's account of creation tells us nothing about the creation of the angels, the cherubim and seraphim-why not? None of our business. Maybe these angels are the locust in the bottomless pit, maybe the angels chained in the Euphrates river, and they have a purpose yet to serve. Just don't let it stick in your craw, because if the Lord didn't tell us why its probably none of our beeswax.

• Moderators

Oh and the wording does say that the Sons of God "came" to present themselves...which means they came to God somehow, not the other way around. I think most commentators generally feel these were angels, to get their marching orders, so to speak.

Well, in a few places in the Bible the people of God were told to resent themselves before the Lord, usually at the temple or the tabernacle.  Now, beore there was a tabernacle or a Levitical priesthood, we know Melchezidek was the high priest of God-so, herewas a priesthood serving God before there was a national Israel, durng the time of Abraham, which was about the same time as Job-why would not those that followed and served God not, at times, present themselves before the Lord? Remember, the OT deals primarily with Israel and Gods dealings with them, and the NT, with the church-yet there was a lot going on outside of these two groups and the same God dealing with them in ways we aren't privy to. Job was not of Abraham's people, nor was Mechezidek, yet they obviously knew and worshiped God-it stands to reason there were others as well. God just chose Abraham to begin His nation. We also know that God dealt in some way, possibly through Mechezidek and his priesthood, with the Canaanites, because the Lord told Abraham that the tiniquity of the Amorites wasn't yet full (Gen 15"16) -the Lord had not finished dealing with them.

So, basically, there was a lot going on the Bible doesn't deal with-it was for them, and the information is not for us to be concerned with, I suppose.  

• Members

A breakdown of Genesis 6:4

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

There were giants in the earth simply makes a statement

in those days; designates the time period

and also after that,* cannot be about a subsequent time period because all of these events are still "in those days".

when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Who became the "mighty men"? I believe the sons of God AND the children: they "begat sons and daughters" (remember this is a continuation of the story of Genesis 5) and their population "multiplied" until their families were huge.

*It simply states that there were giants. If we recall, the Israelites (which is who this was written to) feared the giants of the land of Canaan. Giants were a formidable, unconquerable force to be reckoned with. Instead of having a trust in God, like Joshua and Caleb and later David when he slew Goliath, the Israelites feared the size, the power and the might of this world. But back to the term "also after that". The word "after" means basically to follow, to pursue or even to imitate. Animals in Genesis 1 reproduce "after" their kind and Idolatrous Israelites went "after" other gods. Again, all of this story is taking place "in those days". I believe it means that the believers. the "sons of God" were living like the world; they were becoming a "force to be reckoned with" "after" "pursuing" "in imitation of" the model of the powerful giants. Both Methuselah and Lamech were ALIVE while Noah was "preaching righteousness" and building the ark. Yet it does not record that they helped. The Bible in Luke 3 does record that they were ancestors of the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, I believe that they were believers, sons of God, following the ways of the world of their time. Today, just as then, the lost and believers are eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage just like Jesus said. The following is just a side note and indeed speculation, if not the former, but I believe we are going to see legalized polygamy very soon, now that the sodomites have gained their marriage "rights".

• Moderators

A breakdown of Genesis 6:4

Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

There were giants in the earth simply makes a statement

in those days; designates the time period

and also after that,* cannot be about a subsequent time period because all of these events are still "in those days".

when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Who became the "mighty men"? I believe the sons of God AND the children: they "begat sons and daughters" (remember this is a continuation of the story of Genesis 5) and their population "multiplied" until their families were huge.

*It simply states that there were giants.

:goodpost:

This is good. The scripture doesn't specifically say that the giants were the offspring of the 'sons of God and daughters of men', merely that they co-existed. Thus separating the question of the genetic origin of the giants from any 'sons of God' question at all.

• Members

I believe if Genesis 6:4 were speaking of fallen angels, or angels that sinned, it would have used those particular terms to describe who took them wives.

Sons of God in Genesis 6 is speaking of someon other than angels.

I also believe irishman is correct in his saying the sons of God in the first two chapters of Job are people rather than angels.

• Members

Calvary, I checked and double checked, and found little evidence of what you are saying.  Can you provide scripture for all 5 of the references you give for "the sons of God"? (Not children; not A son of God; but the sons of God.)

I will look at them again though as you requested.

I just looked again; here are the eleven verses in the entire Bible (According to Strong's Concordance) that speak of "the sons of God":

Gen 6:2 and 6:4;

Job 1:6 and 2:1

Job 38:7 (MAY be angels, but not called such);

John 1:12;

Rom. 8:14 and 8:19;

Phil. 2:15;

1 John 3:1 and 2.

That's all I find.

Post # 76

God bless,

calvary

• Members

Brother Scott,

You may call me brother Wayne if you like.

For whatever reason Satan came to "present himself", the only thing recorded that he did was to divulge his activities and to accuse Job. I did post something about the Genesis 6 account but perhaps you missed seeing it. It is in post #18

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

These are a few of the observations I've found.made so far:

#1 The Bible defines what "sons of God" are: John 1:12, Romans 8:14, Romans 8:18-19, Philippians 2:15, 1 John 3:1 and 1 John 3:2

I gave 5 clear and biblical definitions for sons of God. All with scripture to support it. There are in fact 5 distinct appellations for sons of God.

#2, The Bible defines what "angels" are:in Hebrews 1:13-14

#3 The Bible says that no Angel can be a "son of God" in Hebrews 1:5

It does not say that. You think it does, but it does not say that.

#4 The Book of Job uses the word "angels" in chapter 4 verse 18, but the beings in Job chapters 1,2 and 38 are called :"sons of God" 

Job 1 compared with Job 38 and with Revelations 1:20, angels also are called watchers, the holy ones, ministering spirits and stars, principalities, powers, demons, and sons of God. . To limit angel to one singular phrase is incorrect.

#5 Presenting oneself "before the Lord" was done by human beings on this earth. see Exodus 34:2(God speaking to Moses) And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount. There are many more instances recorded in the Word of God.

To present oneself before the Lord does not necessarily preclude that it wasn´t heaven either. You seem to have an either or approach with much of your exegesis. Not too sound in my opinion.

#6 Job chapters 1 and 2 say that the "sons of God" presented themselves before the Lord and Satan came also "among them" as he does so even today. Satan was even "among them" with the Lord and the apostles. (Mattherw 16:23) And when Satan accused our brother Job before God, he was doing what he still does today as "the accuser of the brethren"

Again, it doesn´t preclude that Job 1 isn´t talking of Heaven. It only teaches us that Satan is able to be in lots of places.

#7 Satan had been cast out of heaven as attested by the Lord Jesus, which also casts more doubt that he was accusing Job in heaven, I personally suspect that Job, being a believer and so actually one of those "sons of God" himself, was there 'presenting himself" "before the Lord" just as Abraham, David, Moses and many others recorded in the word of God did,.and that God and Satan were actually observing Job "present himself" as they had their conversation.

You can´t say for sure exactly when Satan was cast out of Heaven, and you can´t support with any scripture that God is unable to allow Satan to come before Him. Man was cast out of the presence of God in the garden, yet your main argument is that men present themselves before the Lord. What fallen men can do, are we to presume that Satan cannot?

#8 The sons of God in Genesis 6, were also believers. see my post #18 in this thread.

Says you. I disagree. There are no born again believers in Genesis 6. No one was ever born again until after the resurrection of Christ.

#9 Someone mentioned "Israel" as a "son of God". Are they referring to Exodus 4:22-23? The nation of Israel is also called "elect" which means it was chosen of God to perform a function or purpose. One of Israel's functions was to bring the only begotten Son of God into this world and, biologically, Christ, being the "seed of the woman" and a Jew by birth, was indeed "in" the nation of Israel. Nevertheless, however you interpret that, a prophecy akin to it is in Hosea 11:1 and fulfilled in Matthew 2:15 So, I think that it is either a metaphorical reference to Christ, or a direct reference because not all the people in the nation of Israel, now or then, were or are "sons of God" by faith or otherwise.

I mentioned Isaiah 43, and Hosea 1:10 which is plural "sons" of God, not singular. Hosea 1:10 does not speak of Christ.

Those are just a few observations other than the ones I mentioned in Post#18 about the sons of God in Genesis 6, but I believe that a son of God can only be someone who is begotten of God and that God is their Father. Jesus Christ is God's only begotten Son, the :"firstborn of all creation" and we are spiritually begotten of God by the Word, by grace, through faith. A son of God also cannot sin: that is, our born again, new nature, cannot sin, because it is , again "born of God".. No angel, nor any other being can have this relationship to God. They may desire to look into it, the Bible says, but they cannot. So I believe that where the Bible says "son of God", it means what it says, and where it says "angel" it means something else entirely.

God bless,

calvary

Archived