Online Baptist

Anglican Church Embracing Paganism

• Moderators

The Anglican church is experimenting with paganism to try to gain back its members that have switched to paganism. Sigh. They are so dead they're losing even the lost - those who are really seeking for something are leaving since they aren't finding it in the Church of England - but their solution only follows those poor souls further into darkness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10133906/Church-of-England-creating-pagan-church-to-recruit-members.html

:shootme:

Looking through some pictures of this summer's solstice 'celebration' at Stonehenge, I find it ironic that the pagan celebrants, so lost in darkness, revere the sun's light. There were pictures of people raising their hands to the sunrise. Hands raised, eyes closed. They might not call it worship, but it looked like nothing so much as worshiping the sun.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Yeah, that's the way to go. Let's head back to paganism. Too bad for them the RCC beat them too it by almost 1500 years.

If anyone thinks that Christ is presently reigning in his kingdom on earth (as the Anglicans believe) I don't know what to say.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees
  • Advanced Member

The Anglican church is not one church and to assume  that all Angicans are the same is to assume that all Baptist churches are the same.

I have just read the following in a book.

"Lest any think that non-conformist churches were immune from the Occult, a correspondent to the Gospel Standard in 1854 complained of a Baptist Church in which occult rites were practised by a minister deacons an members alike."  J.C  Philpot, quoted in Mystery, Babylon The Great, by !an Sadler,  1999.

• Advanced Member

What anglican church preaches the true gospel?  I've never heard of one that preached/taught that salvation is not of works but of grace.

There are Anglican churches that do.  There are Anglican Churches that practise Baptism.  One I know will not baptise babies but cannot Baptise  any who were baptised as babies, instead he sends them to the local baptist church.

The Anglican church is not one church and to assume  that all Angicans are the same is to assume that all Baptist churches are the same.

I have just read the following in a book.

"Lest any think that non-conformist churches were immune from the Occult, a correspondent to the Gospel Standard in 1854 complained of a Baptist Church in which occult rites were practised by a minister deacons an members alike."  J.C  Philpot, quoted in Mystery, Babylon The Great, by !an Sadler,  1999.

I'm not here to bash the Anglican Church but don't all the churches within Anglicanism fall under the authority of Archbishop of Canterbury? It's in essence a state church. 

Baptist churches are all over the spectrum. You have Southern Baptist, G.A.R.B. Baptist, Grace Reformed, Primitive, Hardshell, Freewill, Northern Baptist, etc. etc. as well as many independent Baptist churches who are autonomous. 

So it's not the same. 

Also, there's no mention of what the occult practices were in Philpot's book. So it could have been hearsay though it wouldn't have surprised me to find the hill people practicing some kind of hoodoo.

• Moderators

I'm not here to bash the Anglican Church but don't all the churches within Anglicanism fall under the authority of Archbishop of Canterbury? It's in essence a state church. 

Baptist churches are all over the spectrum. You have Southern Baptist, G.A.R.B. Baptist, Grace Reformed, Primitive, Hardshell, Freewill, Northern Baptist, etc. etc. as well as many independent Baptist churches who are autonomous. 

So it's not the same. 

Also, there's no mention of what the occult practices were in Philpot's book. So it could have been hearsay though it wouldn't have surprised me to find the hill people practicing some kind of hoodoo.

They actually fall under the authority of the Monarchy, currently, Queen Elizabeth is the head.

• Advanced Member

It's the Anglican weirdos that make the news. "Anglican minister preaches Christ" would not be news.

The vicar who prepared me for confirmation (1951) had a vicarage full of Buddhist images. The church was DEAD and  Christians went to neighbouring parish churches. I left that church & joined a Bible Class held in the other vicarage. I was converted in 1957 and only after conversion did I leave the CofE.

Actually Anglican ministers are reasonably independent so there is room for Gospel preachers who believe the Bible.

• Advanced Member

So it's not the same. 

The original letter was in the Gospel Standard Magazine.  I did know someone who had bound copies of them all, but I also know where I can read them, or get someone to copy them for me, I would be interested to read it.

I noticed an Episcopal "church" in town had a harry potter play about 5 years ago. That would definitely fall into the "Embracing Paganism" category.

A few years ago when Harry Potter was really popular there were many churches in America that used Harry Potter themes for their VBS. A few on the list I saw were Baptist, don't know what branch, but no IFB that I know of.

It's sad what churches are willing to embrace in order to draw crowds, to feel "cool", to fit in.

This year there was a big push to get churches to endorse and promote the new Superman movie and many churches went along with this, even showing trailer clips for the movie in church and encouraging the congregations to attend the movie.

During the last World Cup (football) a local baptist church put off their Lord's day service till after the match and had a large screen viewing of the match.  Definately paganism.

There are churches here that do that sort of thing on Superbowl Sunday. The "saints" gather to watch a bunch of ungodly folks making millions of dollars for playing a game and then cheer it up watching the beer commercials and other worldly commercials filled with scantily clad women, more booze and worldliness.

During the last World Cup (football) a local baptist church put off their Lord's day service till after the match and had a large screen viewing of the match.  Definately paganism.

There's churches with all kinds of names that do that, its not only churches with Baptist in their name. At the small town down the road from my house its the SBC that does this. Several times the police have been called to the scene, yet they keep doing it.