• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Win A Bible

Thats what I was wondering: is Holman's Standard Bible a version unto itself? Still wouldn't mind having it-I keep a somewhat extensive collection of (per)versions for examples.

Just last night at service, we read over John 5:1-9 and I had a couple folks read the save verses from a NLT and an NIV and asked them what they saw wrong. It kind of surprised me that mostly the mentioned how the language was so different, but no one at first noticed that vs.4 was missing from both! We discussed how the removeal of the verse made the rest of the context meaningless: here are a bunch of folks:old, blind, maimed, halt, laying around a pool for no apparent reason. Then Jesus asks one if he wanted to be made whole, and the man explains that when the water was 'stirred', "bubbled up', (KJV:troubled), there was no one to help him in. Without Vs. 4 and the end of vs. 3, none of the rest made any sense at all. They were stunned!

Then I explained what it meant in the margin that 'some' manuscripts add more information, concerning the angel troubling the water and the first one in was healed,  that the 'some' manuscripts were actually a majority of them, and that only two removed it, as far as we know. IN fact, they might not have-it may have been only Westcott and Hort who removed it.

Anyways, it was a great way to make a practical point about the differences in the versions, and that the whole, "they say the same thing in easier language" is a blatant lie.

We also discovered, by the way, that one version mentioned "when Jesus learned how long the man had been in that condition"...meaning that Jesus had to ask someone about him, while in the KJV it says that Jesus KNEW how long. Another blatant error to question the mind of Christ being perfect and Jesus knowing.

So, I keeps 'em to teach em.

Funny thing, back in the 90's, the Southern Baptist Convention made a statement that the NIV was the most accurate version.  Then, they changed their belief to the NASB being the most accurate.  Then, just after the turn of the century, they said the HCSB was the most accurate.  Now, I think it is the ESV they hold as most accurate.

Carried about with every wind of doctrine...

HCSB=Holman Christian Standard Bible

Here's an excerpt from David Cloud's book, The Bible Version Question and Answer Database, pg. 425-426:

WHAT ABOUT THE HOLMAN CHRISTIAN STANDARD BIBLE?

The Holman Christian Standard Bible (CSB), which was published in April 2004, has soared to No. 5 in the General Versions & Translations category in Christian retail stores in the USA and Canada. (#1 New King James, #2 New International, #3 King James, #4 New Living) Roughly 1.5 million copies have been printed of the entire Bible.

It is published by Broadman & Holman, a division of LifeWay Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention. The CSB was produced by a team of “100 scholars and English stylists representing more than 20 different denominations.”

Though it is a more literal version than the New International and therefore is more to be recommended in that regard, the CSB is based upon the Alexandrian Greek Text so it can never be purer than its polluted Egyptian exemplar. The Alexandrian Text is so-named because it is derived from a tiny minority of manuscripts (e.g., Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, and a few others of similar character) dating to the early post-apostolic centuries and originating in the region of Alexandria, Egypt. This was a hotbed of theological heresy, which teaches us the “oldest” is not necessarily “best” in the field of New Testament manuscripts. After examining a number of heretical readings in the early Egyptian manuscripts favored by modern textual critics, Edward F. Hills, who had a doctorate in textual criticism from Harvard and began writing in defense of the King James Bible in the 1950s, concluded: “Thus we see that it is unwise in present-day translators to base the texts of their modern versions on recent papyrus discoveries or on B and Aleph. For all these documents come from Egypt, and Egypt during the early Christian centuries was a land in which heresies were rampant. So much was this so that, as Bauer (1934) and van Unnik (1958) have pointed out, later Egyptian Christians seem to have been ashamed of the  heretical past of their country and to have drawn a veil of silence across it. This seems to be why so little is known of the history of early Egyptian Christianity. In view, therefore, of the heretical character of the early Egyptian Church, it is not surprising that the papyri, B, Aleph, and other manuscripts which hail from Egypt are liberally sprinkled with heretical readings” (Edward Hills, The King James Version Defended, p. 134).

Edited by LindaR

It was easier for the SBC to translate their own bible rather than pay Zondervan for the rights to use the NIV.  I guess for some anything is easier than using the KJV.  

That's quite true. And there's something else I did not know until recently having been reading a SBC blog. They blame yesterday years members, pastors, teachers, for the condition of today's SBC. And some of them believes the reason they were so wrong was they were using a corrupt version of the Bible, the KJB. Seems most everyone wants to find someone else to blame for their problems, troubles, & even sins.