• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - In Essentials Unity

RSS Robot

• Members
zz_handshake_q_6_27
The modern evangelical philosophy is often stated by the dictum, “In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity.” 

Though commonly attributed to Augustine, it was apparently first stated by the 17th-century Lutheran Rupertus Meldenius (a.k.a. Peter Meiderlin). 

It became the rallying cry of the Moravians, who had a wonderful missionary zeal but retained such Romanist heresies as infant baptism and an ordained priesthood and who promoted unity above the absolute truth of God’s Word for the objective of “revival.” 

The “in non-essentials liberty” principle was adopted by the fundamentalist movement of the 20th century. Fundamentalism focused on a unity built around “the fundamentals of the faith” while downplaying “minor issues.” The pragmatic objective was to create the largest possible united front against theological modernism and for evangelism and world missions. 

“Historic fundamentalism has always been characterized by a core of biblical, historic, orthodox doctrines. ... Most fundamentalists would be content with terms like ‘major doctrines’ or ‘cardinal doctrines’ to describe their consensus. ... [T]here are other doctrinal distinctives that some may claim for themselves as fundamentalists. But to make these beliefs articles of fundamentalist faith would cut the movement’s channel more narrowly than history will allow” (Rolland McCune,
Detroit Baptist Seminary Journal, Fall 1996).

This has been a hallmark of the Southern Baptist Convention, as well. In describing why he is glad to be a Southern Baptist, Pastor Ben Simpson says, “I'm captivated by the commitment to unity in the essentials and mission of Christ while allowing diversity in the nonessentials and methodology” (“Two Divergent Views from Young Pastors,” Baptist Press, April 14, 2011). 

SBC leaders David Dockery, Timothy George, and Thom Rainer express the prevailing philosophy in the following words: 

“Though I may disagree with some on secondary and tertiary issues, I will not let those points of disagreement tear down bridges of relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ. ... We need a new spirit of mutual respect and humility to serve together with those with whom we have differences of conviction and opinion. It is possible to hold hands with brothers and sisters who disagree on secondary and tertiary matters of theology...” (
Building Bridges, 2007, pp. 11, 34).

This dictum has been an integral philosophy of New Evangelicalism. They might stand for ten or twenty or thirty “cardinals,” but they refuse to make an issue of the WHOLE counsel of God. Particularly when it comes to one’s associations, they believe that there are “non-essentials” that should not get in the way of unity.

View the full article

• Administrators

"...and, in all things, charity."

Oops, wait. This is OnlineBaptist. We can't have that charity nonsense here!

And then there's this verse:  "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly"

Oh, and then there's this little gem:  "He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife..." 

Statements like you made show a decided lack in charity...and they certainly are intended to stir up strife.    So, cease and desist, okay?  Thank you (BTW - that wasn't just a request, and we're not going to debate it...).

• Members
a

And then there's this verse:  "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly"

Oh, and then there's this little gem:  "He that is of a proud heart sti

Statements like you made show a decided lack in charity...and they certainly are intended to stir up strife.    So, cease and desist, okay?  Thank you (BTW - that wasn't just a request, and we're not going to debate it...)

I think it's so funny that we all got along fine until I mentioned that I adhere to Reformed theology. Now, all of a sudden, people are free to call me names and make accusations, but I'm the bad guy for objecting to those names and accusations.

It's a shame, too, because I enjoyed many of the conversations I've had with some people here and, based on the fact that they thought enough of me to give me 32 "likes" before I revealed myself as a Reformed Baptist, I think it's safe to say they enjoyed my interaction with them.

But now, it's pretty clear that I'm no longer welcome and, frankly, you have all revealed yourselves to be truly awful people.

Please close my account. I'm going back to Puritanboard where I can fellowship with my brothers in Christ.

I have no deisre whatsoever to participate in this den of vipers anymore.

• Members

He spews venom at us and has the nerve to call OB a den of vipers?

It is obvious that over the last several posts of his his intentions was to sow discord among the Brethren.

He really needs to examine himself...         

Thank you for demonstrating my point.

• Members

Thank you for demonstrating my point.

Funny, you call Dr Ach a "liar whose father is the father of lies" and here you are proving yourself to be a liar.

You said you were going back to the Puritanboard (obviously you haven't) and have no desire whatsoever to participate... and yet here you are.  Should we remind you this is not the Puritanboard? or did you mistakenly think we are all over there?

• Members

"...and, in all things, charity."

Oops, wait. This is OnlineBaptist. We can't have that charity nonsense here!

A88, If you have a run in with a minority of members it’s not the wise to take a jab at the entire forum. The response was not surprising. I have no doubt that we would all really enjoy each other’s company in person. The nature internet forums seem to magnify character traits that wouldn’t be as evident in person.

I say brush it off for a few days and come back and share a blessing.

I will certainly pray for Auburn88 this evening. In fact, if anyone PMs me a prayer request, I’ll add you to my scheduled time with the Lord.

• Administrators

Okay, I did say this wasn't going to be debated - so much for heeding....

Auburn, there might be a few here who "jab" at you because you are Reformed, but in the threads I've read it's more you taking the first jab.  Kinda like the first post in this thread.

I'm going to lock this thread because there is nothing good that can come out of where it's headed.  I do think this is a good opportunity to remind people that there are many different kinds of people that come on this board, with different beliefs.  If we cannot present our beliefs (which are supposed to be rooted in scripture) in a Christlike manner, and respond to each other in the same manner, there is a problem with our hearts.  Disagreement is going to happen because we are all different.  Strife, however, comes from a prideful heart.

Let's examine our hearts and make sure all of our posts are Christ-honoring.

Archived