• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

So Who Teaches The Tithe Is Necessary?

DaveW

• Members

Personally, I was asked by a few members to teach about giving and tithing several years ago.

in a basic sense, over several evenings I taught that tithing is not commanded for NT saints.

I said that it set AN EXAMPLE which was honouring to God to follow, but was not necessary, nor commanded, nor should it be 'enforced' in any way.

I actually do not personally know of any IFB preacher who teaches it is necessary.

So, who here actually does think that a tithe is a NT necessity?

By the way I do know of a few different churches that actually enforce it - one gets copies of payslips and direct debits the accounts!!!!!!!!
wrong on so many levels.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is no scriptural mandate for the church age Christian to tithe. There is no percentage guideline given.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 

If one wishes to use the OT tithe as an example or a reference that's their prerogative, but to teach that a set percentage is mandated for the Christian today is to yank them under the curse of the Mosaic law. Those who do so must wrest the Scriptures. A classic case of "wrongly dividing". 

• Members

My husband preaches it because the tithe predates the law. But on the rare occasions he preaches it, he always reminds people that it is for their benefit, not the church's...God will bless them personally. Our church knows that my husband never even looks at giving records at all.

God has taught since Cain and Abel that our first fruits belong to Him, and the tithe is a good starting point.

So I guess we are the weirdos who still believe in the tithe....we also do Faith promise missions giving.

• Members

My husband preaches it because the tithe predates the law. But on the rare occasions he preaches it, he always reminds people that it is for their benefit, not the church's...God will bless them personally. Our church knows that my husband never even looks at giving records at all.

Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek was not commanded or even asked. Not to mention, Abraham was circumcised before the law too. 

God has taught since Cain and Abel that our first fruits belong to Him, and the tithe is a good starting point. 

Everything we have belongs to God. Not just some percentage or our first fruits. Again, if you want to use the tithe as your example, that's fine. But to teach it as a mandate or as doctrine in this dispensation is incorrect. 

• Members

Can I request that we not discuss the pros and cons so much, as noting the positions.

There are PLENTY of threads that discuss the issues.

• Members

We teach it as a personal mandate, not a church mandate, if that makes sense.  And yes, I agree, this thread is probably best for stating our position and then just briefly backing it up.    I do not think it is 100% clear whether or not the tithe is a NT idea...it cannot be proven for 100% sure either way, so it is a position that very good men and women disagree on.  But tithing is certainly a safe place to start, as long as the pastor is encouraging it for personal Christian growth rather than personal gain.

• Members

We teach it as a personal mandate, not a church mandate, if that makes sense.  And yes, I agree, this thread is probably best for stating our position and then just briefly backing it up.    I do not think it is 100% clear whether or not the tithe is a NT idea...it cannot be proven for 100% sure either way, so it is a position that very good men and women disagree on.  But tithing is certainly a safe place to start, as long as the pastor is encouraging it for personal Christian growth rather than personal gain.

I disagree completely. The tithe is not mentioned once in the NT with church age Christians in mind. Furthermore we have positive Scriptural support that we are to give out of thanksgiving and from a heartfelt desire, not out of fear of retribution or fear of the law. This Scriptural support makes it clear without any reasonable doubt that the tithe is not a biblical mandate to church age Christians. I do not believe this is an area of uncertainty. 

• Members

I disagree completely. The tithe is not mentioned once in the NT with church age Christians in mind. Furthermore we have positive Scriptural support that we are to give out of thanksgiving and from a heartfelt desire, not out of fear of retribution or fear of the law. This Scriptural support makes it clear without any reasonable doubt that the tithe is not a biblical mandate to church age Christians. I do not believe this is an area of uncertainty.

can this be taken elsewhere please?

you both have stated your positions with a few short reasons. That is where it should be left IN THIS THREAD.
Please......

• Members

I do not see the monetary tithe promoting Christian growth.

Mt mother bowed to that Roman Catholic doctrine being taught in the Pentecostal Church she attended for more than 50 years. There is no evidence that she has matured in her ChristIan walk because of it.

Christian growth does not come from bowing to the unScriptural doctrine of monetary tithing. Christian growth comes from the sincere milk of the Word.

• Members

can this be taken elsewhere please?

you both have stated your positions with a few short reasons. That is where it should be left IN THIS THREAD.
Please......

Okay. Just curious, why did you post if you didn't want anybody to discus the tithe being necessary?

• Members

Okay. Just curious, why did you post if you didn't want anybody to discus the tithe being necessary?

as I stated in the op, for people to state their position.
there are currently at least two, and have been many in the past that discuss the pros and cons. Go there and discuss it.

my basic point is that the vast majority if IFB do not teach the tithe as necessary. The argument that some here seem to delight in is practically irrelevant .

• Members

I agree with the biblical position on tithing of the Fundamental Evangelistic Association in Fresno, CA.  Here is their biblical position:

From an email I received in April, 2013:

"We believe God's Word teaches a very clear distinction between Israel and the church. We do not believe that the requirements for Israel in the OT, including "tithing," are mandatory for the church in this age. We believe the New Testament teaches "grace giving" as we have been prospered."

• Moderators

as I stated in the op, for people to state their position.
there are currently at least two, and have been many in the past that discuss the pros and cons. Go there and discuss it.

my basic point is that the vast majority if IFB do not teach the tithe as necessary. The argument that some here seem to delight in is practically irrelevant .

To restate: Dave asked the following -- WHO teaches mandatory tithe , not is mandatory tithe right.

The direction of the thread would be of no concern if the originator (Dave W) didn't ask that it be kept to those parameters    kapisch?

Archived