• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

At The Request Of The Ohio Patriot...

• Members

If someone believes in a tithe of sorts, whether it's actually 10% or whatever...does anyone think they can give it cheerfully?

I was Roman Catholic for several years, never heard of a tithe before.  Now, I have heard of the Catholic "church" requesting monies for those that were divorced and wanted to remarry in the church.  Additionally, they requested money for dead loved ones that were in purgatory to be "expedited" to Heaven...Catholics are weird but never heard of them promoting a tithe of sorts.

research the Council of Macon 585 A.D..

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, one last question.

If you do not believe tithing is Biblical, do you feel those that do tithe but are able to do it cheerfully...are doing something that displeases God?  Or, is it pleasing because they are cheerfully giving their "tithe"?

I realize one of the examples above was from someone who said once they stopped tithing...they were blessed.  But, I know of many examples of people saying the opposite.  When they started tithing, they were blessed. 

• Members

research the Council of Macon 585 A.D..

Interesting.  Although, it doesn't change the fact that I hadn't heard it promoted before.  Probably because their church gets so much money anyway...

SFIC,

You are a part of a local assembly of believers correct?  Do they support missionaries?  Is the Pastor there fully supported by your Church or does he have another job?  Does your Pastor promote the idea of a tithe? (I think I know the answer to this one but just curious, I am assuming you would not be part of a Church where the Pastor did this).

You said that you have never given 10% before.  Do you believe this is something that is specific to each believer as the Lord purposes in their heart?  So, if the Lord laid on the heart of someone to give 10% (not as a tithe but as just an offering)...this would be acceptable in God's eyes, yes?

• Members

If one is giving ten percent of one's money because that one has been taught that God requires it, or because they believe God requires it, then they cannot be giving as prescribed in the Word. They give because of being told to give that amount or because they have to give that amount rather than choosing for themselves what they want to give.

Since God said in His Word that His tithe was crops and livestock, how can a preacher honestly tell his congregation that God's tithe is something entirely different than what the Bible declares it to be. That would be like God telling you to give a car to your neighbor but you taking the neighbor a bicycle instead and then telling God, "I gave him the car".

• Members

Here is a testimony from a brother in Christ.  He and his wife were faithful tithers for years.  With his permission, I will share his testimony.

“We tithed, and did it gladly...out of a cheerful heart. We believed so firmly in tithing, that my family went without things that we needed because we tithed. We were so set on giving the Lord our tithes, that we amassed huge credit card debt; we couldn't afford to buy the things that were absolutely needful, so we paid for them with credit cards. Of course, this only got us even deeper into debt.

We had always heard the testimonies of how God supplied for those who tithed, and we kept waiting on God to pour out His blessings on us because we were faithful tithers. We heard how God would keep "the devourer" away from us because we tithed, but every aspect of our life seemed to be getting devoured...all while we tithed.

However, during that time, our family had multiple hospital stays. I never had any time with my family. We lived on the edge of bankruptcy. We had car troubles, housing problems, financial troubles, and health troubles...all while we were tithing. This went on for several years, and there was never any reprieve.

We never received that miracle "check in the mail" that so many testify of, no one ever offered us any help, and our situation only got worse...all while we tithed.

We eventually quit tithing after all of those years, and started giving just what we believed the New Testament teaches Christians to give...as the Lord has prospered you, and as we purpose in our heart. It's been a long and hard road, but we are finally starting to see some hope. We do give, but only as the New Testament tells us to, and we have seen God work mightily in our situation since we started practicing New Testament giving.”

Sorry Linda, I have some issues with this testimony as others have stated.  It seems to me this is bad financial management.  And the brother here mentions they had to put "absolute needs" on their credit card.  But, the Lord has told us that our basic needs will be met.

I do not make much money but since I've been saved...I've never gone hungry, homeless, without clothes, medical treatment, etc.  So, I guess I am just a little skeptical...sorry about that.

Do you know how God has worked mightily in this families life since they quit tithing?  Were their basic needs not met before or were their other needs they are speaking of?  It doesn't mention specifics so just curious if you were aware of anything.

• Members

Interesting.  Although, it doesn't change the fact that I hadn't heard it promoted before.  Probably because their church gets so much money anyway...

SFIC,
You are a part of a local assembly of believers correct?  Do they support missionaries?  Is the Pastor there fully supported by your Church or does he have another job?  Does your Pastor promote the idea of a tithe? (I think I know the answer to this one but just curious, I am assuming you would not be part of a Church where the Pastor did this).

You said that you have never given 10% before.  Do you believe this is something that is specific to each believer as the Lord purposes in their heart?  So, if the Lord laid on the heart of someone to give 10% (not as a tithe but as just an offering)...this would be acceptable in God's eyes, yes?

the Lord would not tell one to give ten percent today. It would go against the directive for man to give as he himself purposes to give.

I do not go to a Church that teaches tithing, no. I actually believed in tithing at one time. But then, through the reading of the Word of God, my eyes were opened to the truth and I no longer preached the lie of the monetary tithe.

• Members

If one is giving ten percent of one's money because that one has been taught that God requires it, or because they believe God requires it, then they cannot be giving as prescribed in the Word. They give because of being told to give that amount or because they have to give that amount rather than choosing for themselves what they want to give.

Since God said in His Word that His tithe was crops and livestock, how can a preacher honestly tell his congregation that God's tithe is something entirely different than what the Bible declares it to be. That would be like God telling you to give a car to your neighbor but you taking the neighbor a bicycle instead and then telling God, "I gave him the car".

So, you are saying that you choose what to give and do not allow God to lay it on your heart through prayer?

I do not see how that is different but maybe I misunderstood.  You choose to give a certain amount based on what you think and how you believe the Word of God teaches.  Someone else decides to give 10% based on what they think and how they believe the Word of God teaches.

• Members

the Lord would not tell one to give ten percent today. It would go against the directive for man to give as he himself purposes to give.

I do not go to a Church that teaches tithing, no. I actually believed in tithing at one time. But then, through the reading of the Word of God, my eyes were opened to the truth and I no longer preached the lie of the monetary tithe.

Ok, thanks.

• Members

Sorry, follow up question.

So, through prayer, you do not believe the Lord would ever lay any monetary amount or percentage on the heart of man to give?  It's completely up to the person on how much they believe they can afford to give, correct?

• Members

So, you are saying that you choose what to give and do not allow God to lay it on your heart through prayer?

I do not see how that is different but maybe I misunderstood.  You choose to give a certain amount based on what you think and how you believe the Word of God teaches.  Someone else decides to give 10% based on what they think and how they believe the Word of God teaches.

God will lay it on one's heart to give, but not what to give.  If He did, He would be contradicting His Word.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The word "purposeth" is translated from the Greek word "proaireomai" and means, "to choose for oneself."  How does one choose for oneself what he wants to give if someone else says give this amount?

• Members

God will lay it on one's heart to give, but not what to give.  If He did, He would be contradicting His Word.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The word "purposeth" is translated from the Greek word "proaireomai" and means, "to choose for oneself."  How does one choose for oneself what he wants to give if someone else says give this amount?

Alright, thanks again.

• Members

Sorry Linda, I have some issues with this testimony as others have stated.  It seems to me this is bad financial management.  And the brother here mentions they had to put "absolute needs" on their credit card.  But, the Lord has told us that our basic needs will be met.

I do not make much money but since I've been saved...I've never gone hungry, homeless, without clothes, medical treatment, etc.  So, I guess I am just a little skeptical...sorry about that.

Do you know how God has worked mightily in this families life since they quit tithing?  Were their basic needs not met before or were their other needs they are speaking of?  It doesn't mention specifics so just curious if you were aware of anything.

Let me ask you this, Dennis:  How long do you wait until your bills go into "collections"....because that does happen.

• Members

Oh boy, sorry about this but I think this is the last one.

If someone chooses to give a certain percentage of their income (just for ease sake when doing finances)...and they give it cheerfully, do you think that is acceptable?  As long as it's given without the thinking that a certain amount is required.

• Members

Let me ask you this, Dennis:  How long do you wait until your bills go into "collections"....because that does happen.

I haven't had any bills go to collections.

Can you answer my question please?  If it's too personal for them and you don't know, that's fine.

• Members

Oh boy, sorry about this but I think this is the last one.

If someone chooses to give a certain percentage of their income (just for ease sake when doing finances)...and they give it cheerfully, do you think that is acceptable?  As long as it's given without the thinking that a certain amount is required.

If they  give x amount because that is what they choose of their own selves to give, then God is more pleased than if they were giving because they are told to give that amount.

Archived