• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

At The Request Of The Ohio Patriot...

• Members

TITHE - SMITHE

It is obvious you don't want to tithe SFIC. It is also obvious that it is not required for us now.

What is also obvious is the disregard for our Lord's clear teaching numerous times to give all to the Lord (clearly laid out as the poor of the church, the pastors and laborers for the Gospel, the WORK of the ministry, the poor on the street, etc.. Having food and raiment, therewith we should be content).

I've SAY it before and I will SAID it again...if we walk in the Spirit and live only for the Lord, we will WANT nothing other than the necessities of life. So all other funds we have should be going to the above as Christ taught us plainly throughout the Gospels and the Apostles afterward.

Yea, we must pay our bills, yes we should provide inheritance for our children...But nowhere will you find teaching that we should buy OURSELVES, cars, gadgets, toys or anything we don't need just to spend time away from the study of the Word and work of the Gospel.

Can I get an amen?

PS: all I need to do now is truly walk in the Spirit.

Hi wretched,

You have falsely misrepresented my character.  I have never disregarded anything taught for the Church by our Lord and Saviour.

I have consistently given Scripture to support my stance and beliefs.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi wretched,

You have falsely misrepresented my character.  I have never disregarded anything taught for the Church by our Lord and Saviour.

I have consistently given Scripture to support my stance and beliefs.

Pardon me sir. Did I say you? I meant me actually. Sorry for the confusion.

• Members

No. They amassed credit card debt because they trusted their credit card instead of the Lord.
To link the two things inextricably in this way is wrong.
However the credit card is also not the entirety of the problem.
Also, to link tithing one way or the other to Either prospering or bankruptcy is also not Biblical.

• Members

They testified that they got credit cards to meet household needs because after tithing those needs were not being met.

Sorry Dave, but you are wrong.

no, they are blaming the wrong thing.
They mishandled their finances, the credit card was an aspect of it.
They can Blame the credit card, they can blame the tithe, but suggesting that they had to get the credit card because of the tithe is just plain wrong.

• Members

Finance 101 --- you NEVER NEVER NEVER go into debt for short term recurring expenses (rent, food, utilities). Any CPA will tell you that no matter what the excuse, it is no excuse!

had the Church not been teaching the unScriptural monetary tithe, the man and his family may not have had to get credit cards. It is obvious they did not need them until they began bowing to the Roman Catholic teaching of tithing for the Church.

Most Churches will not help a member pay his bills month after month. Maybe, at the most, twice a year. Is the family supposed to hibernate during the other ten months? Of course not!

What? Get a second job? That is not always an option either.

Sorry, but the only thing the monetary tithe accomplishes as far as the tither is concerned is oppressing him with an unnecessary burden..

• Members

no, they are blaming the wrong thing.
They mishandled their finances, the credit card was an aspect of it.
They can Blame the credit card, they can blame the tithe, but suggesting that they had to get the credit card because of the tithe is just plain wrong.

they can blame the church for oppressing them with a yoke that God never authorized the Church to lay on them.

They were obviously paying their bills prior to being hornswoggled into giving ten percent of their money to the coffers.

If, after they gave that ten percent, they didn't have enough to meet the needs they had before, the obvious problem is the deception taught by the Church.

Lay the ax to the root instead of the branches, branches always grow back.

• Members

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Cheerful giver, that's what our Lords wants & tithing is not taught in that verse.

I have heard some say we have to tithe, everyone, no matter your income, & that will place everyone on equal footing with our Lord. That is not true.

What amazes me, & I've been in one such church, is the churches that's talking about money much of the time, always having something to be paid for, & it nearly seems if they're begging for money.

The church I speaking of was made up of a garden variety of people, some with lots of money, some with little money, & some in between that were likely neck deep in debt trying to keep up with the wealthy, but the latter is besides the point.

And it was true some of those who had little money were doing without necessities in order to give to their Lord. Some of them could never get a full supply of medicines prescribed by their doctor each month at the drug store because they were giving to the Lord. But a few people in that church was cheating them out of being a cheerful giver. Strange thing, those who were cheating these poor people out of being a cheerful giver had many luxuries in their lives & all of their necessities were being met. Not making sacrifices of their necessities as the poor people were doing in order to give to their Lord.

• Members

using Scripture, show me the purpose of the tithe.

My apologies for not getting to you sooner. Busy at the church. According to Numbers 18:26 it was for the inheritance of the Levites. They didn't have land to work and had jobs to do in the tabernacle, therefore the tithe was their inheritance.

• Members

Sadly, most Churches have those types of people that fail to give to help the necessities of those who have been hoodwinked into giving 10% of their finances.

That one church is really the only church I have ever been a part of that was real heavy on teaching tithing. I have been in one, maybe two that would bring tithing up ever now & again. Yet this church never let it rest, practically every Sunday it was mentioned, & all of us must dig deep into our pocket to give to some cause.

This church also wanted you to promise to give in the future that which you did not have in your pocket. That is promise in front of everyone that you would give x number of dollars throughout the year so they could promise to give to certain amounts of money to certain causes. And that had quite a long list of different causes for the member to promise to give money to. And I understand many churches do this along with other tactics. Its not scriptural, to promise to give to our Lord that which we do not have. Yet its a way to get money, & churches will use any method to squeeze money from their members, & the larger the church the worse it may get. Sadly some churches have started using worldly methods to squeeze money out of its members.

Many churches are like its members, neck deep in debt, promising money they do not have, them when the time comes to hand that money out someone will stand before the church saying we promised to give so & so X number of dollars by next weekend & we like many dollars having that amount so everyone is going to have to dig deep into their pockets this morning giving so we will not break our promise. Or this loan comes due next month & we have not enough money to cover it.

And because of such events as this in many churches money, giving, tithing is spoken of so much that some churches seems to be more about money that learning godly truths so we can follow Jesus closely & worshiping our wonderful God & His Son while having enjoyable fellow shipping with fellow believers.

One group of local Baptist Churches puts out a small book each year one item within it gives the amount given to every cause that they support. I believe some of the churches may spend more time talking about money & collecting money throughout each year so they can be at the top of that list.

You mentioned that one church threw you out because you did not tithe. That is very sad. Its no one business in that church how little or how much money you place into that plate. However it is the job of that church to feed the sheep. Seems they failed on the main point. 

Archived