• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

At The Request Of The Ohio Patriot...

• Members

So why is it that the tithe is an ordinance? Who decides what is an ordinance? Furthermore, are all the ordinances done away with? What did Paul say? "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." So according to this passage (I believe that this is on that you referred to before the subject was moved to this thread), the ordinances that were done away with are... (drumroll) meat, drink, holyday, new moon, and Sabbath day, and tithe. O wait! tithes aren't in there.

The tithe actually was in there. The tithe was food. The second tithe was to be eaten by the tither in the place God chose. That tithe could be sold for money if the destination was too far or the tithe was too heavy to carry.

The first tithe was also food. The Levite could sell back the crops tithe to the farmer, but not the livestock tithe.

The third tithe was also food

So where is the Scripture that says God amended His Holy tithe to be a tithe of money? ...drum roll... Oh, that's right... There is none.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can tell someone they are to tithe, and you are teaching outside of the boundaries of Scripture; I.e., the commandments of men.

You can tell people they are under a curse if they don't tithe, and again, you are teaching outside of the boundaries of Scripture; I.e., the commandments of men.

You can teach them that God requires them to tithe, and again, you are teaching outside of the boundaries of Scripture; I.e., the commandments of men.

You can tell them tithes are ten percent of their monetary income, and once again, you are teaching outside of the boundaries of Scripture; I.e., the commandments of men.

Or, you can tell them what Scripture says.

• Moderators

My wife and I were kicked out of Church for not tithing. Show me where that action commanded in Scripture?

???????????????

Were you pitched out or asked to leave?

Was it because you did not tithe or because you taught (in class or privately among church members) against "tithing".

My question is because I don't know and yet it makes a BIG difference.

If it was for not tithing, they were in the wrong.

If it was due to your mouth, then you were deceptive in your post .

• Members

For peacekeeping sake, let's just suppose that the tithe is still required today. Since God said that it was food in the Law, wouldn't it stand to reason that if God wanted it to be anything else other than food, He would have written it in His Word?

The very fact that no such amendment can be found in Scripture should be proof enough that God does not require us to tithe our money. But some do not care for that matter. Some have the attitude that God will accept tithes of anything. If that were the case, why does not Scripture tell stone masons to tithe stone? Why no mention of garments being required to tithe of tailors? Or tent makers to tithe tents?

The first place after the dissension of Law that we can find tithing is after the last book was written... Nearly 500 years after. For more than five hundred years after the resurrection of our Lord and Saviour, tithes were not taught in the Church. It was not until the Catholic Council of Macon convened in 585 A.D., that tithes were first introduced to the church... The Catholic Church invented the doctrine of a monetary tithe, and down through the years, man has been bowing to that Catholic doctrine.

• Moderators

If the above post is in reference to mine --- you avoided the question.

If it was not, will you please answer the question.     (Though I realize it is technically off topic and yet prompted by a previous statement of yours)

• Members

???????????????

Was it because you did not tithe or because you taught (in class or privately among church members) against "tithing".

If the above post is in reference to mine --- you avoided the question.

If it was not, will you please answer the question.     (Though I realize it is technically off topic and yet prompted by a previous statement of yours)

SFIC is typing out a reply to your question now. 

• Members

???????????????

Hi Old fashioned preacher,

We were not teaching a class in the Church.  Many of the Church members were on my Facebook friends list.  I was posting the truths concerning the tithe on Facebook.  One of the friends was the pianist, who was also the Treasurer of the Church and the wife of the Sunday School Superintendent.

After our postings on Facebook, the Church had a secret meeting, (we were not informed of the meeting beforehand even though we were members of the Church for seven years) and voted us out, sending us an email afterwards to inform us of the Church's decision.  They informed us through email that we could come back to the Church only if we apologized and publicly admitted we were wrong to teach against the monetary tithe.  We will not do that.  Pride has nothing to do with our refusal to recant.  Integrity and Truth do.

edited to add:  The pastor of the Church was also on our Facebook friends list, so it is not like I was going behind the pastor's back.

• Moderators

OK, didn't know you were typing while I was.

From what you indicated above: it wasn't for not tithing, it was for a perceived undermining of the church's teaching.

Not stating what degree of propriety may exist in the action but the motive does not seem to be your level of giving.  Really a different subject.

• Members

The pastor was aware of my stance for four months prior to our being voted out of fellowship, yet not once did he call or even knock on our door to tell us we needed to talk. 

Scripture tells us that if one is overtaken in a fault, those that are spiritual are to restore such an one in the spirit of meekness.  The Church believed us to be overtaken in a fault and yet made no attempt whatsoever to restore us to fellowship.

So, was the message they sent one that conveyed that there really were no spiritual members of that Church, not even the pastor?

• Members

The last service we attended at that church was on May 20, 2012.  The topic was TITHING....and the Scripture reference was Malachi 3:8-10.  After 6 years of being told that we were "cursed" if we didn't tithe, we decided to not return to that church until the pastor had moved to FL to become an associate pastor at an IFB church there.  We attended a Southern Baptist church down the street, but they started using an MV and were holding hands with the Roman Catholic Church. 

The church had 4 months to contact us.  They knew where we lived, our email address and phone number.  NOBODY from that church said a word and we were not even aware that they believed we were in error. We were not secretive about our beliefs.  So they had no excuse not to contact us.  If what we were posting on FB offended them, then they should have contacted us and confronted us.  But they did nothing but kept silent for 4 months.  It was only after we contacted them by email did they break their silence.  They had a "secret" meeting on September 24, 2012, and voted us out.  We had NO say in the matter.  We were not informed of such a meeting and therefore could not defend ourselves.  Even convicts in prison are able to defend themselves before a judge and jury.  We didn't have that option.  We have not been to church for over a year.

So where does a "secret" meeting fit in with Galatians 6 :1?

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

We were not "seeking to persuade people contrary to what the church taught"....we always encouraged others to be biblical Bereans....to study the Scriptures.

• Moderators

Again, I'm not vindicating the action taken -- just saying it would have been more accurate to say you were voted out because they felt you were seeking to persuade people contrary to what the church taught publicly.

The above leaves it up to conjecture as to appropriateness, your wording makes it look like those who tithe will chuck you out for giving , say, 7% (as if they know what your income is).

Side note, I do know a man who was kicked out of the Lutheran Church 50 years ago for actually not tithing.

• Members

Here, http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/index.html is one theologian that teaches much of what I teach concerning tithing. We do disagree on a few points, but very few.

I have not twisted Scripture at all, I have shown the tithe was for the Old Testament Israelites, and that the only ones who took the tithes to the storehouse were the Levites. And that was not the whole tithe, it was a tithe of the tithe. I have showed that the three tithes were food, not money.

If Paul's "Even so" was speaking of tithes, then it would have been the same tithe the priests who waited at the altar received... A tithe of food, not money... Even so... In the same manner.

Disagree if you will, but the facts are there in Scripture... The Church is not instructed to give, nor to receive, a monetary tithe.

I did not say that you twisted anything regarding the scripture I just said I disagree with your interpretation.  I refuted your interpretation using scripture.  Your interpretation and this one "theologian" that you quote are definitely the minority when it comes to this matter.  I am happy that "you" feel you have discovered the truth. 

Archived