• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

The Ohio Patriot

Revelation - A Study Of Prophecy

I posted a few days ago in my status that I am currently studying the Book of Revelation for college, as well as preparing to teach this in my Sunday School class.  A few seemed interested in this topic so I am starting a thread to possibly discuss this.  I am several weeks into this study for college and this week will be my first week teaching this in Sunday School.  I teach the Berean Class, for adults, digging deeper into scripture. 

I am posting this in the IFB area, and this forum is not open to you if you are not Independent Fundamental Baptist.  I do not mind disagreements or differences of opinions, but since I starting this forum, and I laying a few ground rules up front, I will not expect nor tolerate any arguing or abusive language towards other forum users.  If this happens and it is within my capability I will remove the offending parties from this topic.

I would like in this thread to ask questions and put forth thoughts that are in either my college class and/or my Sunday School class.  In this way I will learn more, and also may find issues with items that I am teaching.  Hopefully, we will all learn something by pooling the hundreds (thousands perhaps if Jerry is included :th_popout: ) of years of biblical knowledge that is contained in the people present.  Any information that I present will only occur once I have completed that portion of the college class.  I don't want to be accused of having you kind folks helping me do my homework.   :thumbdown: The course of this discussion will of course touch on many other prophetic books of scripture.

A couple of points to remember. For my college class as well as for Sunday School the text book that is being used is The Book of Revelation by Clarence Larkin.  There may be things in this book that you or I personally do not agree with, however at least for college I have to formulate my answer according to that text.  Having this text book in not necessary for the use of this topic.  The book is however available on the web it was printed in 1919 I believe.  If this sounds interesting and you would like me to move forward with this topic let me know.

The Book of Revelation - Clarence Larkin

Edited to correct grammar and add link

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

Well I'm certainly lookin' forward to this.

I know how it is to be tied to a textbook you may not like...if I didn't need them for the assignments I would have tossed a couple of mine in the trash about 1-2 chapters into them :shootme:

Brother Gordon,

I would be willing to join you in this study and discussion as I am able.

From the very start, I do wish to share a point of advice, not so much for your college class, since that will be governed by the teacher, the curriculum, and the textbook, but for your Sunday School class, since you will have great leadership responsibility therein -- Consider the book of the Revelation, not simply for its information, but for its instruction.  Too many approach the book for information in order to answer their curiosity questions concerning the future of the world.  Very few approach the book for instruction in order to acquire reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness concerning their daily Christian walk.

Revelation 1:3 -- "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

Brother Gordon,

From the very start, I do wish to share a point of advice, not so much for your college class, since that will be governed by the teacher, the corriculum, and the textbook, but for your Sunday School class, since you will have great leadership responsibility therein -- Consider the book of the Revelation, not simply for its information, but for its instruction.  Too many approach the book for information in order to answer their curiosity questions concerning the future of the world.  Very few approach the book for instruction in order to acquire reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness concerning their daily Christian walk.

Revelation 1:3 -- "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."

Pastor Markle,

I very much appreciate your encouragement and admonition regarding this class.  I don't mind saying that when we started the Romans class about 18 months ago that I believe God wanted me to teach Revelation at that point, but I was not ready(my flesh getting in the way).  When I was began praying concerning the next class guess what the answer was, I am trusting God because in my flesh, teaching Revelation, I would fail.  

I sent you an email earlier today and if you would care to expand on this with any more specifics I would very much appreciate that.

Let's start off a little on the easy side to get the gray matter flowing.  

Of whom is the book of Revelation a revelation?  

What does the title of the book describe?

Of whom - Christ (Rev 1:1), given to Him by God, sent by an angel to the Apostle John.

Describes what - a revealing of previously veiled truth(s).

Let's start off a little on the easy side to get the gray matter flowing.  

Of whom is the book of Revelation a revelation?  

What does the title of the book describe?

What is unveiled in the book of Revelation?

Answer #1:  "The Revelation of Jesus Christ."

Answer #2:  Revelation -- A Holy Spirit inspired uncovering and disclosure of truth.

Answer #3:  "things which must shortly come to pass"

An outline from Revelation 1:1:

1.  The revelation concerning our Lord Jesus Christ -- "The Revelation of Jesus Christ . . ."

(Thus we should expect our Lord Jesus Christ to be THE central Person of this book.)

2.  The revelation possessed by our Lord Jesus Christ -- "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him . . ."

3.  The revelation given to our Lord Jesus Christ by the Father -- "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave . . ."

4.  The revelation to be revealed unto the servants of our Lord Jesus Christ -- ". . . to shew unto his servants . . ."

(Thus this book is not given to answer the curiosities of unbelievers.)

5.  The revelation concerning future events -- ". . . to shew . . . things which must shortly come to pass . . ."

(At least, it was to reveal future events in relation to the timing of its original revealing through John.)

6.  The revelation sent and signified unto and through John -- "And he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

What is unveiled in the book of Revelation?

Sorry, I totally missed that part of the question ("I don't read so good" it seems....).  I agree with what Bro. Scott said.

Revelation

Daniel 12:4,8-10

4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Many of the great bible teachers of the past were not permitted to understand. Remember this when you study their writings on end time prophecy.

Daniel 12:4,8-10

4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?

9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.

10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Revelation 22:6 -- "And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly come to pass."

Revelation 22:10 -- "And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand."

Brother Gordon,

From the very start, I do wish to share a point of advice, not so much for your college class, since that will be governed by the teacher, the curriculum, and the textbook, but for your Sunday School class, since you will have great leadership responsibility therein -- Consider the book of the Revelation, not simply for its information, but for its instruction.  Too many approach the book for information in order to answer their curiosity questions concerning the future of the world.  Very few approach the book for instruction in order to acquire reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness concerning their daily Christian walk.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Any teacher worth their salt will know how to balance the information with the application.  But let's be honest - there are some parts of Scripture that are nearly impossible to HONESTLY apply to the NT Saint today, without making some extreme distortions to the text.  So much of Revelation has to do with what Jesus called "the great tribulation" that making any DIRECT application would be disaster.  Don't worry about that part of it.

The two passages above mention distinctly "doctrine" and "knowledge."  People want to know the mysteries concealed in Revelation, so do your best to "expose them" through expository teaching of the Scripture.  Make it real.  And where the application jumps off the text of Scripture, add that in. 

IMO, Larkin is a great place to start.  There are some things I don't agree with (as with nearly every teacher/writer) but what Larkin has will form a good foundation and framework to start with, and you can add to it later with other authors as your studies continue.

PS - don't worry too much about having a fancy outline.  A substantive lesson is much more important.  I personally use a dry erase board, and draw a "dispensational" timeline frequently to help my class understand where we are on that timeline, and how the events we are studying fit into that timeline (i.e. OT, ministry of Christ, Church, Tribulation, Christ's kingdom, etc.)  It seems to be pretty effective.

In Christ,

One method I would present to acquire applicational material from any portion of Scripture is to consider the following four points:

1.  Who the Lord our God is.

2.  What the Lord our God does.

3.  What the Lord our God approves.

4.  What the Lord our God disapproves.

Maybe we differ on our definition of "application?"  I define "application" as "how can I personally (or my congregation) directly use this in my daily walk with the Lord, particularly as it relates to my testimony to the lost world."  Or something like that.

In other words, application is not some vague abstract concept.  It is a concrete action or attitude that I should have as a Christian. 

Example:  I would have a difficult time making any DIRECT application of Matthew 10:6-7. 

1.  We are sent to the world, not just "the house of Israel."

2.  We do not preach the Kingdom of Heaven (the promised reign of Jesus Christ on this earth), but rather the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

No DIRECT application to us today.  Indirectly - yes we are to preach....but that is about where it ends, without destroying the text and context. 

I hope that illustrates my point on the application.  There are many passages in Revelation that will have the same type of problem. 

Revelation 11 - deals with the 2 witnesses - not much in the way of application DIRECTLY.

Revelation 12 - deals directly with the nation of Israel exclusively.  Not much in the way of application, unless we FORCE it, and pull someting out of context.

Revelation 13 - the antichrist and false prophet, the mark of the beast.  Information.  No application.  I don't have to worry about that mark because I have been sealed by the Holy Spirit.  But I can teach on how close we are, and how events in the world a leading up to a one world government and one world dictator.  But I would consider those as "signs of the times."

Now if we wanted to make an "application" to Revelation 13, we could say, "If you are going to serve the Lord, you had better get busy, because time is running out."  But that is about it.

Anyway, my point here is not to argue this, but just point out my observations.  Those three chapters (for example) are to be seen as "doctrine" and "knowledge."  When we try to force a direct application as I have illustrated and defined, we do injustice to the text, we water down the REAL teaching in the passage, and we make the passages MAN-centered (i.e. what do ME-MYSELF-and I-I-I get out of it.)  Quite honestly, the Bible is the story of Jesus Christ, not man.  We just need to realize that we don't need an application out of every verse and chapter. 

• Similar Content

• By Bro. Richard Norman
      We're doing a study on Revelation in our Wednesday night study and while talking about the 4 of the 7 churches listed in Ch. 2, one of the congregants asked if there was a specific reason the churches were separated into 2 chapters. I reminded her that when John wrote this, he didn't list chapter and verse, but that these were added later on. She kept questioning and raised a thoughtful question. Is there any significance to the order due to geography? If you look at a map, see attached, there is order (Ephesus to Laodicea in a Clockwise circle.) Does anyone know if there was significance to the order or are we looking for meaning where there isn't meaning intended?
      TIA,
      Bro. Richard

• By Orval
      I have recently read a few articles on global warming and while I somewhat detest the tree hugger mentality, I do hate the idea of cutting down trees, and love wildlife reserves and such.  My question is this, are the "scientists" who are proclaiming that in the next 30-50 years the heat of our continent's will rise to nearly unbearable temperatures correct and if they are, do you think this is the preparation for events during the tribulation period concerning the trumpets and vials?  I am leaning toward yes in both instances but honestly I would like to read someone who I know can be trusted.

Your thoughts please. 
    • By MountainChristian
      “Commandments of God”
      This phrase only appears three times in the Authorized King James Version.
      The first time this phrase is used it was Apostle Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians. “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.”- 1Corinthians 7:19. How can Paul say keeping the commandments of God and not include circumcision?
      Let's do a little background work. Jehovah told Abraham to start the tradition of circumcision in Genesis 17, “And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.” Later in the Law Jehovah told Moses it was one of the commandments, in Leviticus 12:3, “And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.”
      So we see it was part of God's commandments in the Law, but was those commandments replaced by God?
      In the book of John 14:15 we see Jesus telling us to keep his commandments. “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” In John 14:21 Jesus said, “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” Again in John 15:10 Jesus said, “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.”
      How do we know what commandments Jesus gave us to follow? Acts 1:1-4 “The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.” 1 Corinthians 14:37 “If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.” 1 Thessalonians 4:2 “For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.”
      We see the phrase repeated the last two times by John in Revelation 12:17 “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” Revelation 14:12 “Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.”
      The 1st time the phase appears Paul is telling us it's not the Law or Torah. The Apostles was Jewish and they taught and kept the commandments of Jesus as God. Jesus even told us he fulfilled the Father's and we should keep his commandments. In the Revelation verses John tells us the men are Christians but over and over men say those are Law commandments. So why do some writers of Christian/Jewish Eschatology say the verses in Revelation mean the Law or Torah? My Sunday school teacher has given me some books on eschatology but none of them explain their reasoning. He is on vacation so I thought I would ask you guys and gals.
    • By Ronda
      JEREMIAH 49... I don't see a lot of eschatology being discussed here (other than the millennial kingdom) recently... so I decided to go out on a limb and start a discussion about Jeremiah 49.  I wanted to focus on the specific passages of 35-39, and most specifically upon verse 36. 
      "And upon Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come."
      SOMETHING is going to happen in Iran (specifically where Elam used to be which is in what is now Iran).
      It is an area ***"stretching from the lowlands of what is now Khuzestan and Ilam Province as well as a small part of southern Iraq." (*** land description taken from wikipedia... see also map below) 
      I realize that Persia is also listed in Ezekiel 38-39 as one of the nations which is included in the confederacy against Israel.  I do not think it is likely that is part of Ezekiel's prophecy in ch. 38-39, but I do think it COULD precede it, and possibly be a factor in why Persia is listed in the Ezekiel 38-39 confederacy (although the reasons for Ez. 38-39 are more about "taking a spoil")
      So back to Jeremiah 49
      SOMETHING will happen to cause THIS: 
      "... I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, 
      and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation
      whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come." 
      My thought is that it's possible that Iran will attempt to attack Israel. Israel will defend herself and isn't it amazing that the Bushehr site in Iran
       (the very site the nuclear reactor is located) is smack dab in the area where Elam was? 
      Not saying it HAS TO happen that way... and I'm not saying the event HAS to be nuclear... I am just that it COULD happen that way.
      Whatever happens the Lord will be in control of the situation. It does not have to be nuclear, it could be any number of events...and it will be of God's will.
      Whatever happens (nuclear or not) will cause these things to happen (which have not YET happened to a total fulfillment in history):
      1. The Lord "will bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven,"
      2. "and will scatter them toward all those winds;" 
      3. "and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come."
      History tells us that Elam was conquered by the Assyrian empire and then later by the Medo-Persian empire.However, that did not drive out all of those people who lived there, but instead they were then under the control of the Medo-Persian empires control, but most continued to live in that same area of land (even though under the rulership of the Medo-Persian empire).
      So I do not believe that being conquered by the Medo-Persian empire fulfills this prophecy since they were not driven off the land, they were not scattered to the 4 quarters, and they haven't (yet) been scattered to all nations.
      Elam is now a part of modern-day Iran. (and in that part of Iran there is a nuclear reactor as well as current plans for the Iranians to build more) I conclude these verses are future events (possibly soon).
      I also would further conclude that verses 38-39 will be fulfilled at an even later time (the millennial reign) because there certainly is NOT a throne of the Lord in Elam, nor has there ever been in past history.
      The only other place in the Bible that a (future) earthly throne of the Lord is mentioned is in reference to Jerusalem. So while I do not claim to have any idea exactly what the throne of the Lord in Elam will be... nor the reason why... I do believe it is true, because the word of God IS true!
      Every past prophecy which was fulfilled was fulfilled exactly as prophecied, to the letter,
      Which means all future prophecy will also be fulfilled exactly as prophecied. 
      I am only giving my opinion of what COULD cause them to be scattered to the 4 quarters, and scattered unto every nation.
      That said... God cannot be boxed into "logical human reasoning" because His ways are far above our ways.
      So I am not stating it HAS to be a nuclear event... it is just a possibility of what could occur to cause such a scattering.

35 "Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Behold, I will break the bow of Elam, the chief of their might.
      36 "And upon Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall be no nation whither the outcasts of Elam shall not come.
      37 "For I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life: and I will bring evil upon them, even my fierce anger, saith the Lord; and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them:
      38 "And I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence the king and the princes, saith the Lord.
      39 "But it shall come to pass in the latter days, that I will bring again the captivity of Elam, saith the Lord.
      map image (taken from wikipedia) for the location of where Elam was:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elam#/media/File:Elam_Map.jpg

What say ye all?

• By Ronda
      Hello all... let's talk.  Recently there was a change made to the feed stream of this site.  A few of us are having difficulty finding new posts and so (I think) it may be leading to a lack of discussions.  Many of us came here for fellowship with other IFB friends, brothers, and sisters. The world has a worldly view... But I'm curious as to what do fellow bible believer's think about the following topics, and whether (or not) you think any/all of the topics relate to scripture, if so, why? Thanks for your input as I feel we should "gather together" as we see the day approaching. 
      Here are just a few things I thought of which I don't see being discussed here currently:
      Earthquakes in various places around the globe
      Financial economy troubles around the globe
      China and Russia both pressing for a new world currency
      US public schools took God out/all government buildings removing any reference to God
          and does this relate to the younger generation's rebellion against parents and authority figures
      Do you see these things increasing over the last decade (yes, they've always been around, but have you noticed a marked increase over the last 5-10 years in):
          self-love, gimme now/I deserve everything-for-nothing-attitudes
          covetousness (desiring things that other people have which are beyond your means)
          arrogance, boasting, pride
          cussing, smut on TV even in the commercials
          unthankfulness
          being lied to/betrayed/broken promises all without any signs of remorse
          pleasure-seeking
          mocking of Christians, mocking of the bible, mocking of God and Jesus
          fornication/adultery/perversions such as homosexuality and pedophiles
      Russia and Iran both being right outside Israel's borders in Syria
      CERN
      The LGBT movement and/or gay marriage
      Christian persecution in middle east nations (and or in our/your own)
      False teachers on TV (and in churches)

Muslim invasion of the world
      Syrian refugee crisis (what do you think of the crisis in Germany, Austria, and other nations. Also what do you think about Obama importing them here to US?)    The "deal" which basically allows Iran to have nukes
      Obama's use of executive orders to bypass Congress
      And if you'd like to discuss any of these things (or other current events), please state if you believe it does or does not pertain to scripture and why.
      Pick a topic... and let's dig in! Thanks