• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Love Is This? The Truth About Calvinism

• Members

What's the name of that church? Where is it?

My dad (DaveW) and I live in Western Australia. (I'm his son).

I can't tell you the name of the church.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, he held to many wrong things. Oddly enough, even many Bible preaching pastors will yet quote something from him they agree with. I don't understand the reason for this any more than I understand why some will quote something from MLK or "mother" Teresa.

I refer to him when it's appropriate. I also have a segment on Augustine in the Church History classes I teach, as well as a series on Christian biographies.

• Members

What's the name of that church? Where is it?

I guarantee you don't know it, and you wouldn't even recognise the suburb.

what difference Does it make where it is anyway?

I am not lying. It is the absolute truth.

in any case it is a dutch free reformed church.

I also said that it was one instance and that I do not present it as typical nor a universal proof.

• Members

Seriously? Why would my dad do that?

:ot:  By the way welcome, it is always good to know who belongs to whom.  Your Dad is an OK kinda guy (but don't tell him that).  Of course you know in

the states we profile everyone, so we picture ya'll as Crocodile Dundee......   :bleh:  

• Members

I guarantee you don't know it, and you wouldn't even recognise the suburb.

what difference Does it make where it is anyway?

I am not lying. It is the absolute truth.

in any case it is a dutch free reformed church.

I also said that it was one instance and that I do not present it as typical nor a universal proof.

You're making it up.Period.

Are you really telling us that this is such a false, apostate church, but that you wouldn't warn us about it?

• Members

You're making it up.Period.

Are you really telling us that this is such a false, apostate church, but that you wouldn't warn us about it?

If we wanted to warn you about every false church in our area, that would take a long time! :icon_smile:

You're taking this the wrong way. My dad wasn't accusing every Calvinist of holding that view.

• Members

If we wanted to warn you about every false church in our area, that would take a long time! :icon_smile:

Then he shouldn't have brought it up.

It's like saying, "One of the people in your neighborhood is a rapist and a child molestor, but I'm not going to tell you who."

Then, of course, you come to find out that the guy is actually a brother in Christ, who's never hurt a child in his life, but who was the subject of an ugly rumor by a spiteful ex-girlfriend.

• Members

No John putting forth what you have learned does not make you a Calvinist, but your examples are not typical, and seem somewhat sympathetic to their erroneous doctrine.

I'm "sympathetic" to the truth, to specifics, with regards to these matters. There are too many generalities and broad brushstrokes which don't fit.

Does it help to tells someone they follow Calvin when they say they don't? Not any more than it helps to say someone who likes some of what John R. Rice put forth must not hold to the KJB.

While the history is interesting, it's not the main point. When arguing against "Calvinism" (or for it, for that matter) all that matters is what Scripture says. What this or that pro or anti "Calvinist" has said or done then or now really doesn't matter when we get to the main issue of whether or not "Calvinism" is right or wrong. What does the Scripture say? Not what does Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon, Rogers, Smith or Jones has to say on the matter or what they did in their lives. What does Scripture say? This should be our focus, with the other points left out of the discussion or turned into a separate discussion.

• Members

PLEEEEZ get back to discussion & edification, not accusations.

The OP claimed to raise serious points - but who is going to bother wasting time on DH's videos?

NOTHING Hunt or anyone else can who posts him can accuse us of denying John 3:16. 

Moderator - can we lock the thread. I'm the only one who has considered the OP.

• Members

I'm "sympathetic" to the truth, to specifics, with regards to these matters. There are too many generalities and broad brushstrokes which don't fit.

Does it help to tells someone they follow Calvin when they say they don't? Not any more than it helps to say someone who likes some of what John R. Rice put forth must not hold to the KJB.

While the history is interesting, it's not the main point. When arguing against "Calvinism" (or for it, for that matter) all that matters is what Scripture says. What this or that pro or anti "Calvinist" has said or done then or now really doesn't matter when we get to the main issue of whether or not "Calvinism" is right or wrong. What does the Scripture say? Not what does Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon, Rogers, Smith or Jones has to say on the matter or what they did in their lives. What does Scripture say? This should be our focus, with the other points left out of the discussion or turned into a separate discussion.

I agree John.

John 6:40  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Watch the video's John they provide good info.

Below is a series of video's about Calvinism.  These video's are done by Dave Hunt who also wrote the book called What Love is this?  These video's explain what Calvinism really is.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

• Members

The only reason I brought up my post was in agreement that putting too much store any man's writings is wrong.
it happens on both sides of the issue.

There are people who honour calvin above what he is due, just as there are those who hold Hunt, Cloud, Ruckman etc above Their station.

for either side to deny that is dumb.

But it is also true that there are plenty on both sides that don't do that.

Archived